Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wsmcqueen
New Orleans, LA

September 5, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5512975

I love projects and couldn't resist this poor thing. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best course of action to get this one healthy again?

Thumbnail by wsmcqueen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5513195

just looks like it got to much sun. Trim off the burned part of the leaves and keep it in the shade/indirect light
wsmcqueen
New Orleans, LA

September 6, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5513580

Thank you for responding. I will trim the leaves. Do you think it's OK to repot now?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5514421

yes it will be fine
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 8, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5522889

Is that Hedychium Greenii? I agree with Donna that it could be sunburn. Looking at the asparagus fern in the background I noticed that it has the same symptoms. If you recently fertilized them both it could be fertilizer burn.

I also agree with Donna's advice. If it is fertilizer burn, I would add to her advice, run a stream of water through the pot to try to wash the excess fertilizer out. Then replace any lost soil and keep it well watered as long as it is growing. Something else I've learned about this particular ginger ( if it is, in fact H. Greenii) is that it won't bloom unless it is kept well watered during the growing season.

H. Greenii is so neat. After it flowers, at the place where the flower was, a new little plant will appear. It will even make the beginnings of roots. Alll you need to do is take it off the mother plant and plant it!

Here's a picture of mine last summer.

Aren't plants neat!!

Kay

Thumbnail by TrixieM
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wsmcqueen
New Orleans, LA

September 8, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #5523199

Wow! I would be blown away if I saw a flower like that from this plant. I just thought its leaves (the ones that weren't dead) were a striking color, and that it might be some sort of bamboo. The tag actually read ginger zinfandel, which I'm guessing was supposed to be zingiber.

I found both plants at a tiny landscaping shop in Oxford, Mississippi. The guys there had them under a tent-like shelter and admitted that they didn't know much about either. They also told me that they weren't watering them enough, although the ginger was sitting in two or three inches of water.

I've trimmed both plants and hope to repot them this week. They already look much better.
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 8, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5524725

Okay, let's call in some experts on identifying this plant for you. Maybe someone like Liz will step in and tell us what you have.

Is it maybe zingiber Midnight?

This message was edited Sep 8, 2008 11:34 AM

This message was edited Sep 8, 2008 11:36 AM
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5525142

was thinking Costus Purple Queen but is much taller than mine. Maybe Vinosum(spelling)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5525159

http://www.gingersrus.com/images/ImageFrame.php?ImageID=322
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 9, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5527339

Donna, it might be venosum. The leaf shape, color and height all look the same to my untrained eye. I wonder if there are any others with those characteristics. I looked and it's definitely NOT zingiber midnight.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America