christmas time

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

wanted to know what you all make for christmas gifts? i would love to have ideas.plmk and thxs so much for sharing

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

I haven't really started on anything yet. My DS is saving me Maxwell House coffee containers from Dollar General. I will cover the outside with wallpaper border that you can get free at Lowe's. They have sample rolls that you can just tear a piece off. Inside you can put cookies, candy, etc.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm making the wire-hanger christmas trees someone mentioned in the Frugal Living forum a little while back. Sooo easy and cheap too. I bought a ton of christmas lights at garage sales this summer. All I'm waiting for is the stores to start selling garland.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I have been looking for the directions for the wire hanger Christmas trees. Will you tell me how or where I go to look for the directions?

I have made water hose wreaths for gifts also I have potted up cactus gardens. We had wide mouth clay pots on clearance at work and I got soil and cactus and it made a cute gift. Sometimes I paint clay pots with different designs then fill them with what ever I think the person likes.

I have also crocheted tops on dishtowels and paired it with potholders to match. I like to crochet so I have made tobaggons, rugs and afgans.

I also enjoy working with grapevine shapes. I like unique looking ones. The two hearts interwined is a good one. I try to find roses with the drops on them to make you think it has been raining on them, babys breath and glue them to the bottoms of the hearts.

Last year I found coffee cup planters on clearance at Michaels and potted up Aloe Vera in them and gave them as gifts.

Hobby Lobby here has a whole wall of grapevine shapes.

Sometimes I make windchimes out of silly things. This year I am making this windchime out of kids trowels.hoes, and cultivators. They have pictures of pandas, whales, and grasshoppers on them. I got them on clearance in the toy dept at Walmart. I had in mind this colored pail turned upside down to be the top but they ran out so now I am trying to decide what to use instead. If I find a top I like I'm going to give it to my mother-in-law, she likes windchimes and she will get a kick out of the kid stuff.

I'm going to quit rambling now. I have inspired myself to get up and do something. LOL

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

hey amber! you're quite the crafter! If you google 'wire hanger christmas trees' you will find a TON of instructions. I just saw a youtube video which shows how to make them. Good luck!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought I had a picture of this--but searching through all my files can get redundant.

Here is a fun. simple project to give as gifts for X-mas.....

Collect/buy/ or save the quart "Bell" canning jars.

You will need some fragrant Potpourri (available in craft stores) and a string of 25 X-mas lights (available in a dollar store) or in a craft store. Plain or multi-colored.

Stuff your jars with the Potpourri and the lights--trying to have the lights near the outside of the jar as much as possible--so they be seen. Keep the plug end of the cord near the top of the jar--as it will have to be plugged in somewhere.....

Make some kind of a cover for the top that is fairly open, yet looks decorative, so the fragrance of the Potpourri will emanate from the jar as the lights warm it up.
I used a "lattice" of ribbons and then glue-gunned some Christmasy things on top.

You can use this as a night light--or just as a decoration in your kitchen or anywhere else.
Mind you--it needs to be very close to an outlet--as the cord on the lights is not all that long....

I need to find where I have stashed them so I can take a picture.....Hope my description suffices for now.....AHHHH!!!! Found it!!!!!

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Heres a group of three.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

For some gifts this year I am going to make lighted glass tile blocks. Let me explain as I received one from a dear friend last year as a gift and this will be my first year to make these.
I am using an 8" by 8" glass tile block ( bought at lowes for 4.26). They have different sizes. You have to drill a hole in the side with a diamond bit. Let me explain that these can be made upright or on the side to look like a Christmas gift. You clean out the excess powder and mess from the inside of the block with a vacumn hose or rinse with water and let dry out. Next I am taking Snow-Tex (comes in a container bought at lowes, or Michaels). The snow tex you mix with water for a thinner substance and with a sponge brush you apply to the entire surface of the block. While this is wet you apply diamond dust , Glamour dust or fairy dust........ This gives a shimmering, glittery effect. When all this has dried you insert a 50 clear light count strand ( lights that only have the white wiring , these are hard to find and that are one ended electrically) into the hole that you have previously drilled out. Next you apply shear ribbon to the sides and top of the block with a glue gun. There are so many pretty ribbons out there, but it is better to use sheer colored ribbon ( so you can see the lights on the sides shine through. Lastly on the top of the block you add your bow (s) and decorations of Christmas balls, little christmas picks or whatever you desire. I will also add the clear shimmering icicle picks that you can buy in the flower dept. anywhere. Attach all this with a glue gun.
These make beautiful gifts and are so pretty at night in a room that is darkened. They can even serve as night lights. I ran across a site that is probably more informative than I am and can show you pictures of what I am talking about. That site is www.thriftyfun.com.
Let me know how your's turn out........ Have fun........Backspace

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I am hoping to needlefelt some bird ornaments, but I have had a bad arm and have had PT to get it back to normal and I am limited in the time I can use it because it still hurts.
Here is a picture of my bird ornaments.

Thumbnail by JBerger
(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

One of the things I'm making 4 Season Candle Jars.....the one pictured is store bought one with the base in metal......I have the straight side glass vases and plan to make interchangable bases for the different seasons out of Polymer Clay.

Thumbnail by zhinusmom
(Cissy) San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh zhinusmom, that sounds like a great idea! I hope you post pictures when you are ready :)

JBerger, great birds! They look warm and fuzzy ;0)

Gitagal, I love your idea. How pretty!

I think everyone here has had some really good ideas! I can use good ideas because money is one thing that is definitely in short supply this year.

This year I decided to make my own gifts for family members. Here is one example. I paint the candles and match holders. A picture of the others has been posted here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/921541/

The camera makes the holder base and the color of the candle mismatched. In person, the yellow are very much the same :D Gotta blame it on something!

This message was edited Nov 7, 2008 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by Sis_E

Sis_E there is something about the way different materials absorb light....I have a lot of pics where items that are the exact same color to the human eye look completely different in the photos....not much to do about it...Photoshop is NOT one of my talents......

Your candles and holders are Beautiful!!!

Ain't that the truth, *mom*. I love photoshop and I guess I could have matched them that way, but until you mentioned it, I didn't think of it! LOL. I thank you :)

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of my first wire-hanger Christmas tree. I need to get working on finishing some more before the holidays creep up on me as they always do!

Thumbnail by celia

Celia You did a Great Job on the tree!!! I will have to get the instructions and add that to my "need to do one" list.

I am almost finished with a Victorian Santa......I am doing the Victorian Santa Workshop given by Bettypause over on the General Discussion Forum. I just have to get his hair and beard on and attach his decorative items. I will post a picture as soon as I am finished. We all started with the same basic kit but we are ending up with a beautiful assortment of colors and themes......if you get time you should pop over and take a look at what some of the ladies are doing.....and they really are quite simple once you get through the one.

Celia, how gorgeous!! How big/tall is it?

Finally finished the Victorian Santa! I'm really looking forward to doing some more of these!

Thumbnail by zhinusmom
Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks! The tree is approx. 18" tall.

'mom', your victorian Santa is absolutely stunning! How beautiful!! His costume is just gorgeous :)

Thanks Sis, I had a lot of fun and it may be turning into an addiction!!! I already have plans for several more!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Z-Mom.

I LOVE the belt and border down the front of your Santa! It is the best I have seen!!!!
LOVE the fur trim!!!! It makes it so---"ethnic".......Do you have a heritage other than the USA? I DO!

I have not yet started on mine--as I was NOT expecting to get one.....Betty surprised me! BUT--ideas are dancing in my head. I seldom follow directions. I see them only as "guidelines".....Then, I do my own thing. My mind is too resourceful to do it differently!

I will TRY to get to it asap......and WILL post pictures---just too busy at this time.

Gita

Gita I have a little Scots, Irish, English, and Choctaw, have lived in Asia and an Inuit Village in Alaska, my husbands family is German and English.....to quote the future President I think we are "mutts".........but I don't mind that.....the best dogs I have ever owned were mutts.

I am so happy you got a kit....Betty is one of the nicest people I know.......you will have so much fun with the Santa......once you get one done you discover that it isn't as difficult as it looks.....my only real problem was the fabric I purchased was very stretchy and my sewing abilities are very limited.....read "does not include how to sew stretch fabric"!!! I am planning additional santas as we speak!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

z-Mom,

Man! You have a hoard of ethnicity in you!
I am from Latvia--and, of course, we have our own traditions with the Santa man.....
WHEN I get to it--I will try to incorporate some of them in MY Santa!
Then I will explain WHY I did what i did!
I would have chosen red, or burgundy.....but Betty sent me green. I will do that--and then--if I ever do it again--I will do as I wish.

Gita

Green will be beautiful...I saw some green a JoAnn's that has a sprinkling of gold dots and stars in small sprays all over that I would love to do one in, the other is a beautiful Charcoal Silvery Gray color that I think would be fantastic! Unfortunately the fabric in my price range doesn't come in so many beautiful colors:( I have two sisters-in-law and two nieces who have everything.....but they don't have a hand made Victorian Santa.....guess what they are getting for for Christmas.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Z-Mom....

Over the year.....Don't forget to look for velvet, or fleece, or any other plush fabrics in garments at any Thrift Shops you have. Many bath robes are made of these......and many Winter, bridal gowns are made of velvet as well. Just keep it in your mind.......
Think............Think............Think..............

Thanks Gita, great idea!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's what I did with old shirt buttons, styrofoam cones, glue & glitter paint. Merry Christmas to you. Buttoneer

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Plano, TX

very nice--since you have buttoneer for your name and button trees i am wondering --do you collect buttons? make all kinds of projects from buttons?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a craft business called Showers of Buttons & in Central Pennsylvania, my husband & I do about 25 craft shows a year. I make button jewelry including earrings (pierced & clipons), bracelets, watches, brooches, badgeholders, purse hangers, barrettes, and more than my poor tired brain can think of right now.

Plano, TX

oh how interesting! some time could you post pics? i love crafts--do you have a website?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I will be uploading one hopefully within the next couple months. I already have the domain name. I just need to find an ISP that I can afford. I have the website designed, just need to tweak it up and add the product. I just retired from my job on 12/31/08 and am still catching up on R&R if you know what I mean, transferring my 401K, paying off my car, getting rid of cellphones & buying tracphones & just trying to save money. I have applied for Social Security & Medicare. These are HUGE changes for me & I have to get used to them before I start my website. It seems bewildering at times, but I'm not the only person who has done this and I will get used to it gradually. Thanks for the praise. It helps.

Plano, TX

i am impressed at all you are doing --good luck and keep us up on your business!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Will do. As long as I don't get in trouble with DG for posting the name of my business. He has rules & I want to follow them.

Plano, TX

oh--didn't know that--makes sense i guess-wouldn't want to read everyone self promoting instead of garden talk :)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

You can dmail me privately on that. Buttoneer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images