-
AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5514728

I hope you'll all forgive me...I just feel I need to say this. The people on this forum are the ones that I know best here at DG.

A couple days ago I came to the final decision that I would have to divorce my husband of 16 years. It was a very tough decision to make. There are so many things that weigh very heavily on me right now--finally giving up on the love of my life (because he's damaged beyond what I can fix); breaking up our family; moving to a smaller, dumpier place (so we can afford it). And there's one more small thing that doesn't seem like it should matter to me when you put everything else into perspective, but...it does.

When I lose our house (which neither of us can afford to keep) I will lose my garden. The new place I am considering for me and the kids seems our ONLY option right now (we have two dogs, and I will not separate the kids from their dogs for the sake of living in a better place that doesn't allow pets). The yard is barely big enough to erect a pup tent in. It's in town, not in our beloved country setting. It's the best I can do.

I know it seems trivial to be mourning my garden at a time like this, but when I look at the plants I so lovingly tended these past two summers here, it breaks my heart. I came here to let out my feelings about it because I thought perhaps some of you would understand, and maybe even relate. I hope you'll forgive my self-indulgence. I just needed to get this out.

Thanks, and *hugs*

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5515475

KaylyRed - I know we don't really know each other but have spoken a couple of times on different threads, including this one.

First, I am so sorry you have to go through this. I'm sure this has been an agonizing decision for you but you have to do what is best for you and your kids and what you feel you need to do in your heart. I'm so glad you are keeping your beloved dogs as they are your family too.

Your garden is beautiful but I'm sure you will find a way to have something in the way of plants/small garden to give you pleasure at your new place. We all know that gardening is very therapeutic for the soul and that will be something you will need to help you through things. But of course you have all of us here at DG who are always willing to lend an ear and support.

You know your friends here will always be happy to send you plants to begin anew.
Feel free to put me on your "friends" list and Dmail me if you need anything...or just to talk.

Cheryl

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5515507

Kayly -- you and your family will be in my T's & P's

I also agree with Cheryl -- even if you don't have a lot of room ... you'll find space even for a small version of a garden.
I know when i move, i always take some of my favorite plants. We tend to put our hearts and souls into our gardening ... and sometimes we just have to start over again.

Terese

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5515529

Kayly, You are not the only one that has gone through this. In fact I have been through it more than once and may someday have to again. I have a disabled husband who is 80 yrs old and me 64. If the worst happens,Iwill have to leave 300 hostas and that many preinnials such is life I guess. I wish you the best and wish that I had had all these nice people on DG to talk to before. They have helped me through a lot of things and like Cheryl says D Mail me if you need anything. HUGS BEV
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5517220

I am so very sorry. Do you have folks close to you that could adopt the plants, until you get settled? Maybe a few around the steps or in the corner by the "pup tent". I would never leave my 4 paws so Really understand that choice.
Please stay here, so that we can support and maybe throw a gazillion options your way.
Hugs from me and the 4 x4 paws.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

September 6, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5517976

KaylyRed, I am so sorry. : ( I know from your pictures that you have a beautiful yard. I'm so sad and my heart goes out to you. You'll be in my prayers.
I want to send you out a big hug.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #5523193

I thank you all so much for your sweet words and kind offers. It really does help. It seems I may be here with the kids a bit longer than I originally thought (although my husband is still moving out, of course), but that doesn't make it any easier. At least I might get to see the fall colors here one last time.

Again, from the bottom of my heart, thanks for listening and for being the great bunch of people I've come to know you as. *group hug*
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 8, 2008
5:13 AM

Post #5523293

KaylyRed,
I am so very sorry for you and the kids to have to go through this.
Although a garden may seem just a garden to some, it's your creation.
Enjoy it while you can and get ready for a new beginning, whatever it will
turn out to be, in your life and the garden.
Gardens heal as they grow, at least it worked for me. And if I have anything
that might fit in the new beginnings just send me a note.
Ev
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5534269

Well, it's official--the kids and I are moving. In fact, we're moving Monday. (What a day to move!)

I plan to divide a few plants to take with me, and maybe even take some entirely (where they won't leave a gaping hole.)

Has anyone had success moving delphs? Mine bloomed a second time this season and now they look very dormant. I suppose all I can do is try. They're one of my favorites in my garden, and I feel very sad about losing them. Still...I can grow them again.

This is the hardest thing I've ever done. :(
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5535766

Oh Kayly, so very sorry to hear of what you and your children are going through. I know we don't know each other but my heart goes out to you. Divorce is never easy. So glad to hear that you will be taking a few of your plants with you. A new beginning for you and for your garden. Nurture both and watch it grow. I have also been through this before, and my daughter and I had to leave every thing we owned at the time behind and start over again in a different state. At the time it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do... now it is the best thing I have ever done. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your children.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5560730

Just an update...

The house with the tiny yard that I originally planned to take turned out to have a basement full of toxic black mold. Originally, the landlord wouldn't let me see the basement because he said he was repairing the stairs. When I got there to sign the lease a few days later I checked out the basement and discovered the mold. The landlord swore it was just "paint coming off the walls," but I had it checked out and it was indeed mold. The basement, which he claimed was dry, also leaked like crazy when we got a little rain just before I was prepared to move in. I backed out of the lease due to the health hazard. There was no way I was going to move my kids into that house under those conditions.

Fortunately, fate smiled upon us. I hit Craigslist desperate to find another house and there it was...a 3 bedroom house for rent with a large fenced in backyard. I had to pay extra to keep my dogs (and I also had to do some fast talking that included providing references for the dogs!), but it worked out. There's even a chance we may buy the house after a year or so, and the owner said that I could apply my security deposit plus the extra monthly rent I'm paying for the dogs to the downpayment on the house if I end up buying it.

I now have an enormous backyard that looks like it once housed some fabulous gardens. It's looking a bit rough right now, but it should be a fun challenge to clean up. I'll post photos soon. And I may be asking if some of you have seeds or divisions you'd like to share for my new project. :)

Thanks again for all the good wishes. DGers are the best!
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5560764

Kayly - So glad you found a house for you and your kids and 4 legged kids too! And a with a large fenced yard to boot! Sounds like you have a guardian angel watching over you. :-)) So happy to hear things are looking up! Looking forward to the pictures.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5560835

Fie upon the dishonest landlord!
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5560839

SO glad that things are working out for you. Are you going to be able to take more of your plants with you? I think if you do a big scoop up of the delphs you should do OK. I cannot remember if they have tap roots, but certainly worth trying.
I am sure that there are going to be extra plants in your future...:)

soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

September 17, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5560974

Great news !! I'm So Happy to hear that you got a better house! Sounds like things are looking up. Prayers do help.
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 18, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5567893

I am so glad for you and your kids. A good size back yard is a bonus for all of you :)
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5567998

Kayly Red
I have been going though the same the love of my live the house in the county dogs No kid it has been 4 years and we are only seperated not even divorce I had told him if he wants a Divorce he payes I didn't want it. anyway I moved from Michigan back Home to IL. My family is here
I have been rentting a house and I have been putting all my outside plants in containers
and scents I started that I have seen all kinds of plants growing.
There is also a Thread on Container growing.
I moved To IL because of work and the Money I lived in Michigamme MI It should be its own state work is hard and little up so the best bet was come home
I am Ok No men in my life but I do Road Construction on 294-94 so most of the time I work12 hours a day. And Have no time for Men I wood like one but not till I am ready May not be we will see
Sorry If I got on this I hope that all will be happy for you and the Kids and here is Some Cookies I just took out of the Oven
They are called Honey Grams Hershey's Cookies Very Very Rich Just the way I like them all the Chocolate

Thumbnail by Dimmer

medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5569260

Best wishes to you Dimmer. Cookies look yummy! Chocolate, the perfect comfort food! Well... that, mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese! And of course our gardens!
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 18, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5569285

Kayly -- count on me for cuttings and splittings. I don't have a lot since we just moved in fall of 2006, but I wouldn't have my garden if it weren't for friends and family sharing their gardens with me. I would be glad to pass on the tradition.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5575792

So glad to hear that you saw the window the Lord opened for you and your children and four legged children. We have to push ahead now matter how hard it seems as the rewards are great.

I for sure would be more than happy to send seeds of what ever I have that you might like next year.

Suggestion make a special file on you computer of those of us who would like to send you something and when the times right drop us an e-mail (not dm) and make an inquire with us to see what we have.

I love being a part of sharing plants.

Blessings to you, your family and new beginnings.

Janet
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5577739

Thanks, everyone. I'll post those pictures soon. We're all moved in now (Internet finally reconnected) and the dogs and kids are enjoying the yard. I especially love the gigantic old red maple in our front yard. It may keep our dining room and foyer very dark and shaded, but it also keeps the house cool on warm days and it's just plain beautiful.

Dimmer, I'm sorry to hear of your problems, too. I've seen people grow some gorgeous container gardens, though, so I'm sure yours have been shaping up beautifully.

The cookies look delicious. I'd love to have one for real! hehe

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #5577801

KaylyRed, Glad to hear you are doing good. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5580635

Here are some "before" photos of what looks like it was once a nicely landscaped garden here at my new place. All the "bones" are here--the paved walkways and the slightly raised beds. Now I just have to mix in some good compost and maybe add a bit of topsoil and start (slowly but surely) planting things. It's probably silly to plant when the house isn't actually mine yet, but...its' good for the soul, so I feel a need to do it anyhow. I'll take what I can from my own gardens and divisions from friends and I'll just make it work.

Lots of shade here, so I could use some shade garden suggestions! What have you folks had good success with growing beneath trees in fairly heavy shade? My gardens have always had at least part sun, so this is a bit new to me.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5580698

This is the courtyard area beside the kitchen door.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5580708

And looking out into the backyard...

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5580716

Well, okay...the photo above is more of a side view of the yard. I grabbed the wrong one. But it shows some of the landscaping which has become overgrown.

Here's some pretty heavy shade in a raised bed between the fence line and the walkway as you head out into the yard.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5580722

There was apparently a pond here once upon a time.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5580769

Here is a crazy Idea of mine and have No idea if this will even work or if it can be done
I was looking at the pic and the stone walk way what do you think if you took a pressure washer and did the stone between the walk way and got all the dirt and grass out of the way
Its just a thought that might help you decide what to do and can you cut some of the branches off the trees might get more sun. I also rent here and that don't mine me doing things They have told me that in all the years that they lived they couldn't get grass in the back yard and I have been trying to grow it it niot thick but I will get some more grass seed at the store for sun and shade
I have no idea if this helps but I thought I send my 2 cents
Dimmer(AKA) Kim

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5580806

You could use some more hostas for your shade, Bev

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5580814

here is another arround a tree

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5580965

I just typed in for full shade flowers and this is what I got
Foxglove,Columbine,Coralbells,Lilly of the vally,Impattins
Here is something I made this summer it was so easy and took an hour the hardes was try to thing what kind of flowers to put in cause its shade
Dimmer

Thumbnail by Dimmer

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5581336

This looks like a peony. Not sure how it's doing here, but the foliage seems to look healthy (despite being beaten down). We'll see what it looks like next year with some grow-through staking.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5581360

I'm not sure what this is. Looks like someone cut it down, whatever it was. Anyone have a clue?

And Dimmer, I love your impatiens and the way you created the tippy pots. I'm definitely going to have to try that next spring.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #5581388

Kayly Red - Hard to tell in that last picture what was there. Your new yard definitely has lots of potential though. Looks like someone really cared about it at one time. Sad to see it go downhill like that. But, I think you will give it some tender care and grow lots of new things there... new beginnings in more than one way, huh? Hostas would be perfect and so easy to send you in spring. I think Heuchera divisions may be in order too!

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #5581670

That last pics loks like it may be what is left of Ostrige Ferns. BEV Someone spell that for me thanks Bev
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

September 21, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5582065

Ostrich Fern or some kind of fern is what that does look like. They must have dried out. There is alot of potential there. It is really exciting!! Astilbes, lillies of the valley, lungwort, fox glove, and vinca, all - like shade.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5582183

Thanks soap!!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5582649

Medinac, I'm with you on the hostas, lungwort and other shade lovers. I've been thinking about corydalis, too. Maybe some epimedium for ground cover under the shrubs (which I think may be lilacs)? Dicentra is also one of my favorites. I hope I have enough light here to grow a huge old-fashioned bleeding heart like the one I had in my other garden. :)

Ferns, huh? I'll have to keep an eye on that area next spring. It's actually one of the sunnier spots in the yard, so if there are ferns there, and it turns out they're still alive, I'll likely move them into the shade. I certainly wouldn't mind some ferns.

For what it's worth, Quin the greyhound (and his little sis, Ella, who was off exploring when I took this) loves the new yard. We had only a small fenced area in our other yard, but this one has a privacy fence that's about a quarter of an acre. That makes for happy hounds!

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

enya_34
Madison, WI

September 22, 2008
6:02 AM

Post #5583557

It seems that the area is pretty dry. So what you have are Ostrich ferns that gone dormant. They are not dead but if you don't keep them moist they will go dormat if don't get enough moisture.

I primarily garden in the dry shade on a slope. So here are my full-proof choices. Pulmonaria Mrs Moon is the one that beats them all in toughness and the rate of multiplication. An added bonus is that is comes out green from under the snow, blumes profusely and does not wilt during dry spells like some other. I don't water it at all.
As for the rough shade under maples, I have wild ginger that forms a carpet and looks good all summer. No supplemental watering there either. It just does not like to get hit by the sun directly and can't handle any foot traffic but it's a nice filler in between other shade lovers that does not crowd hostas, ferns or Solomon's seal for me. I'd plant Solomon's seal for the back drop - it's one of my favorites too. No help with water either. Uvularia grandiflora does well on it's own for me in the deepest of shade, but it does not spread but rather forms a nice clump, slowly though. These are all well behaved plants that you can keep to a small size area.

Of cause if you water, there's a whole more that will do well in the shade :)

JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5584787

"Kayly"---Best of wishes to you in your new venture...the yard really does have a lot of potential and, like many others, I'm willing to share plants with you---when you're ready just let us know!!!

Hope to meet you (and other UM gardeners) next year at the RU!!!

Jan
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5597615

I planted one of the small beds in my new backyard today by moving plants from what is now (at least temporarily) my husband's house. This isn't the best photo, but the bed contains bergenia (front), geranium sanguineum, toad lilies, Siberian iris, 'Autumn Joy' sedum, and one of my beloved echinacea 'Coconut Lime' that I'm hoping will grow in this part shade spot. (It may get more sun in the summer, and it will get full sun before the trees leaf out.)

So much to do! But I think I'll focus on getting rid of the other weeds for now and clearing out the overgrown beds so I have fresh dirt to start with in the spring.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

September 25, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5597740

Great work so far !! I LOVE the rocks and shapes.
I have been hoping to find the Coconut Lime coneflowers on sale somewhere, but they are too much in demand still, I guess.
All that hard work-- planning, weeding, digging, and planting is good therapy, huh?
All the best wishes to you.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5599665

coming in a lil late on this one... but yes, looks like the 'knobs' [almost like a pine cone if you pull it out] of ferns... I have tons of them.

oh, and to add coleus to the list of great shade plants, even though they are annuals.
I've also got this great "Jacob's Ladder" that has turned out really well.

Polemonium caeruleum 'Brise d'Anjou'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54252/

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 6:45 PM
PinkysPlants
Thomasboro, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5603242

Hi~

Your story sounds similar to mine. My divorce (12 yrs married) was finalized a few weeks ago.

I had to leave my yard and plants to move into a 1 bedroom apartment.

I now have a nice size yard to plant. People have been very generous with plants and seeds... If you would like anything, please let me know!!!
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5603798

K- That looks really nice already. I hope you can continue moving plants to your new home, especially your Coconut Limes. You could always just get them in the ground anywhere that's decent and fix them later? At least your favorites...
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #5604469

tcs - I've thought about coleus for next year. I really love colorful foliage. I'm also a big fan of polemonium, which I have in my old garden in a couple of the shady spots. Don't think I'll be able to move that, but I'll probably look to get some more plants next year.

Soapwort and Medinac - Thanks for the compliments! I do love my 'Coconut Limes'. I have some 'Pink Double Delight' that I'd really like to move, too. The problem is that I have very little direct sunlight here so I fear that they won't flower well. But...I'm going to move what I can without leaving gaping holes at the other house, which my husband (not ex just yet) is trying to sell. Even if they don't flower, at least I'll have them and they'll be here for me if I have to move again. (I sure hope I don't have to!)

PinkysPlants - I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through a similar ordeal. Glad you have a nice sized yard now, though. I really think that gardening is healing. Digging around in the dirt is always cathartic.

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5615133

Jumping back in, would try the "Pink double delight"- if they aren't happy, something to take to RU or trade. The rest of the "Coconut Lime also--take the ones you want!
As long as there aren't huge holes, it should not offend potential buyers. I looked at several houses this summer (move maybe will be next year-so much of garden is in pots-anyway)..as long as the yard was clean and not full of the more aggressive weeds, I was not turned off. If there is one big hole, buy mum on sale and stick it in.
Would add lamiums to the list for foliage and flower (some Much more vigorous than others),. I have bleeding heart growing in very little indirect sun (just sunrise) fine bloom show.
Good luck., you have made a lovely start there...plus happy puppies :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5631979

Well, things are coming along. How exciting to have a new slate to work with for you new garden. That will help give your mind some much needed rest from your recent heartache.

So glad things are looking brighter for you and your children, also glad to hear the hounds love the additional size yard.

Janet
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5731582

KaylyRed - How are things going with you. Haven't heard from you in awhile and wondering how you're doing? Let us know.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5731682

Hi Medinac, thanks for checking in. :) I'm doing fine. Didn't really have the money to do much planting this year, but at least I got a few things moved over from the other house. Looks like I may be getting into a land contract on this one, so it may be MINE, which means I'll be able to garden to my heart's content. Fingers crossed!

I'm sure I'll be checking back with everyone in the spring to see who has divisions to spare. ;)

Hugs!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #5732623

Glad you're going to get to buy the house. What did you decide to do with the grass-covered pavers?

Diana
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5734228

Diana - I haven't really done anything with them yet. I think I'll probably give them a good scrubbing with a wire brush (which should scrub out a lot of the grass, too) and then hit them with Round Up. I know I should redo them eventually, but...I don't have the ability or the resources right now, so I've gotta make do with what I've got.

Spring will be a busy time for me. ;)
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5735031

That would be great for you to buy the house. I'll be saying a prayer for you that everything works out! So glad to hear you're doing fine. Your yard has so much potential and you'll have so much fun fixing it up how you like.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5739046

Thanks for sharing your progress, and I too will be saying prayers for a smooth turn over of the house to you. And yes indeed next spring will be busy but oh so much fun.

By all means don't hesitate to call on me and I'll be happy to send a list of what I can divide.

I know right now that I'll have a lot of grasses that will getting divided so if you like them, for sure contact me... as well as a lot of other items.

Janet
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5743745

Thanks, Meadowyck!

I've got a great area for grasses, but it's in bright shade. The stuff I'd really like to grow there (flame grass) requires full sun, from what I understand. I guess I'll have to settle for carex and other shady grasses. :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5744239

always give grasses a try even if it says full sun, as some grasses don't mind some shade. Of course for a flame grass to really show off it would need full sun, but I wouldn't count it out, I would give it a try to see if the color will come through in the area you had in mind for it.

Good luck.

Janet
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5746984

Here's a picture of a miscanthus growing in my hosta garden. It's sunny there now because the trees are bare. It doesn't get as full as the others growing in full sun, but it's been there for many years and always returns and gets plumes. Give it a try.

Diana

Thumbnail by pastime

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5751485

Oh, that does look nice!

I've definitely been envious of the flame grass I've seen around here this fall. It's fall color is unbeatable. I'm not going to give up on grasses until they make me. ;)
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #5986909

Just a little update...

On December 26th I signed a land contract on the house. For all intents and purposes, it's now mine. Yay! :D

Of course, on January 1 the furnace decided to die and needed hundreds of dollars of work. Why couldn't it have done that when I was renting? *mutter*

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #5986924

Kayly -- that is great news... about the house, not the furnace.

Congratulations!!

Terese
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #5986957

Great Job I hope that something in your contract can help you pay for it
great Job that is my project when I come back from traveling to find a house I rent and pay for eveything except the taxes so it is costing about 900.00 which is not bad but if I am going to pay for rent I might as well own it
Good luck and keep in touch
Dimmer(AKA) Kim
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #5988267

Good news, I'm happy for you. Can't wait to see what you do with the gardens. Too bad about the furnace. You probably would have been stuck paying for it either way, with a rent increase or higher sales price. The best part is it's yours and no more landlord to mess with your life!!!!

Diana
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #5993567

Thanks, everyone. :)

Dimmer, good luck finding something. There are a lot of deals out there right now if you're persistent and you approach owners or landlords with creative ideas. I found my house for rent on Craigslist and now, just 4 months later, I own it...and it didn't cost me a thing extra--no down payment, no attorney fees. The only extra is that now I have to pay the taxes, so my monthly cost does go up a bit. But it's mine!

pastime, I'm soooo looking forward to spring and tackling the projects here. I'm going to have to look for donations of seeds or divisions this year, most likely, because funds are tight. But I still have high hopes. :)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #5993596

Kayly ... check out the Seed Trading and Plant Trading forum.
Post what you are looking for - many will send stuff for postage.

I should be getting a package in the mail in about a week or so of seeds from a huge swap.
if you are interested, i can send you a list of what 'extras' i have, and i can send them to you.

and not sure if you are goign to the RU this year... i'd bet you can get some plants there too.
[i really have not been keeping up on the threads... but i know Jody will contact me, as she always does, as it gets closer]

your new yard will be beautiful in no time.

Terese
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #5996894

Kayly - Congrats on the house! That's great news! I'm sorry about your furnace. Things like that never fail to happen... usually with me, things go bad a month out of warranty. I'm glad you didn't have to pay anything extra to acquire the house, that's GOOD news!

Dimmer - Best of luck in your search - at least it's a buyer's market out there right now. You should be able to find something affordable I would think since nothing has moved much in such a long time.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America