now I am a true gardener - bought my first pickup truck

Raleigh, NC

now the question is, how to find a cover for the bed that is tall enough to take my irises to shows. I figure a total interior height of 48" would be a winner, but I don't think I've ever seen one that, with the bed height, equals four feet.

suggestions, or suggestions for other "gardener" related add-ons I should look for? best ways to secure plants in a bed? types of tie-downs to look for?

ended up finding a 2004 Nissan Frontier, with 6' bed.

and does anyone really use those tonneau covers?

this is going to be great - this past July, I had to cart older heavy 8' banquet tables to our local society's event in the back seat of my sebring convertible, with the top down and the tables sticking 6' up in the air!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I had to deliver 38 blooming daylilies in gal pots in July. The truck wasn't running, so we took the passenger seat out of our old VW and filled the car with the plants. The flowers were sticking up everywhere. I looked like a real "flower child". A tonneau cover may work if your plants aren't too tall, how about a cap for the truck bed instead. They're kind of a pain because you have to crawl inside to load.

Raleigh, NC

that's one of the things I'm concerned about - it will be difficult to get back into, and too low.

for two years, we've had an empty Ford Aerostar in our yard, my sons vehicle, and I've been wanting to buy it back from him for my gardening, but DH demanded I not do it - he wanted me to get a pickup because of all the hauling I do of compost, manure, etc.

I'm thinking a one day rented cargo van would be an easier answer to the problem.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

We had to deliver 183 daylilies, 30 miles away, in an open pickup. My DH laid them down head to toe, and toe to head. I don't know how he did it, but the plants made it to the job site unscathed. We wouldn't have been able to do that with the cap on the truck. We would have been permanetly bent over! A van would be nice.

Raleigh, NC

well, the very next day after the papers were signed, I went to Harbor Freight and picked up tarps, removeable grommets, tie-down straps and rope! that'll get me started.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

i have a 56 s130 inter,i nntend to take potted liliums to the market,so im in your boat.........flimsy steel frame that bolts to your tray[removable][because it wont fit in the garage].aluminium front and rear sheeting......take the whole thing to a canvas/vinyl ripoff merchant and tell them you want the cover to go over,and clip on ..etc.......part with your life savings,now you can fit tall items in the reaR

Raleigh, NC

wish I could find a ripoff merchant here to do it! wonder how much it would be to take the pickup with me to Australia! right NOW because I think Grosvenor and Blyth would have irises in bloom. now wouldn't that be a trip.

every time i start the motor in my pick-up, its a trip..rumbling v8.....wind coming through door seals........love it............everyone looks,you spend about 15 dollars in fuel,just to the hardware store and back..... BUMPER....blooming season here,5 months of rain[great] i was sitting amongst the irises an hour ago reading the news...if half my liliums come out for jan 10 for the show i might nail a prize...make the trip,we'd welcome you here,but make sure you load up with' tango asiatic lilies and seeds,because they are rare here..........know of any seed suppliers?...............make yourself a 3 foot rod with a hook an the end,,,,push your pots into place when loading........hook them and pull back out when unloading....no bending or strains

Raleigh, NC

great Idea on the rod and hook! I NEED that! LOL and Good Luck with your lilium - I'm sure you'll win!

wish I could take that trip. my passport expired in 2002. Understand that takes up to six months to renew now. I'd miss that bloom season.

Bought the truck when it looked like I was going to get a new job. Laid off for 17 months now and have gone through my savings keeping the truck. Something will come - I have faith. I'm good at too many things. being over 55 closes a lot of doors though.

don't have enough sun on my lot for both irises and liliums - the irises won! never heard of tango asiatic lilies. can you post a picture?

keep the faith,my favourite saying,is ''you never know whats around the corner'''''man i drive a truck,not because i have to,because its convenient...1 minute to get to work......very stressing sometimes,very incompetent sales staff,wrong addresses,no addresses,wrong suburb,cancelled order ,you name it..............can you pick up any gardening work..........i know if my back was'nt so bad,i'd be rich by now.....try the gardening bit,keep your truck and do a bit of sly gardening for oldies.....in tasmania,it is hard to get someone to pull out weeds...............tangos are heavily spotted randomly coloured asiatics....are you in new caledonia........i dont know what nc is,the initials here mean,non coherant',which,if i dont go to bed, i will be........anthony

Raleigh, NC

ho ho ho NO, Anthony! NC means North Carolina, USA! Raleigh is the state capital, but we are outside the city, in the county.

I'm already picking up gardening bits, but not like weeding. too many wetback Mexicans here for getting that work. More like garden planning for others and commercial. I started with an Italian restaurant my son worked at. they had purchased a large fountain for their outdoor cafe area, put it in full sun, found out they would not be allowed to run electricity to it, tried to plant a garden in it, and grew great weeds. It was about 6' wide, round.

I removed the weeds, roots. Put two potted (one large pot) bougainveillas (sp?) in the center. Dumped in 2 5 gal buckets of black compost and 1 of old well composted horse manure. Planted sweet potato vine, spider plants, creeping jenny, and variegated small ivy at the indents of the scalloped concrete edge, so they would drape over. Added basil, rosemary, oregano, cinnamon basil, nastursiums, dwarf daylilies, and dusty miller. The aroma of Italian herbs filled the air! the foliage alone was colorful. The chef would come steal fresh herbs often when the plants got bigger.

They were thrilled and passed my name around. Got another couple similar gigs at small businesses and homes. but...unfortunately with the economy going speedily downhill, even those bits have dried up. now I'm being asked to write quite a bit. we'll see if that leads somewhere.

irises galore here now,take a deep breath,i'm sure you'll smell them.deep purple,purple lipped,caramel..............absolutely brilliant....................you sound like a sensable ,knowledgable person,im sure theres work somewhere

Raleigh, NC

actually, I used to run a software company using almost only common sense. It helps to have it when reading inch thick contracts. LOL

but I don't want one of those stressful type jobs again. no, I'm thinking of driving the school buses. My family would be ashamed of me, at least my sisters would be, but I don't handle stress anymore.

hey hey hey bonjon,,the lily lugger is finished[and so is my wallet]..fully removable [no floor],just in time for lily sales,,massive blooms,great year..have sold some already,have 4ward orders booked..ive just come in from the official launch at 50 mph...everythings still there...merry christmas,anthony

in my excitement,a few beers and the heatstroke,i forgot to include the photo

Thumbnail by g_whizz

bonjon,we are open 4 business,nothing stopping me now

Thumbnail by g_whizz
Raleigh, NC

oh - NOW THAT is a cool truck! you say it's aluminum sheeting on the front and sides? where does the canvas/vinyl come in?

and a Merry Christmas right back at ya, Anthony!

right now, my DH is in agony. Got a serious tooth issue - beginning to sound like my iris and holiday $$ is going to pay for some emergency dentistry Monday....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I would have LOVED to have seen a photo of that landscaped fountain! It sounds wonderful. If you want to pursue that line of work, be sure to take lots of photos and put together a resume of sorts. That way prospective buyers can get an idea of the flavor of your work.

Best wishes on your job hunt... I would definitely not consider driving schoolbuses as stressfree. There has to be something better out there for less stress.

Hope the trip to the dentist was uneventful.

Raleigh, NC

unfortunately, no to both - we were asked not to photo it as guests were around, and I could only run by after work, so guests were already there. never did get by on a weekend. I took the tender plants home the day before frost. the others did just fine. Then they went out of business, and I tried to go over to rescue the other plants, only to find someone had stripped it of plants - now why would they do that and not take the very expensive fountain too?

and DH's tooth problems were too severe and infected. He had two extractions, still on pain meds in evenings. We had mostly soft foods all holiday!

right now I'm not looking hard for work, though. I've started selling my plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.