-
AuthorContent
snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 6, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #5515274

Hello I have several adenium who have germinated from seed my self. They have no flowers yet.
But I have one big one I have bought in a store last year. And this has a lot of flower coming up, but before they do that, they dry out. What am I doing wrong here?
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5515291

How frequently do you water the big plant? What type of container do you grow it in, such as plastic, terracotta/clay etc.? What type of soil is in its container? Do you grow it outdoors and how much sun does it receive?
snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 6, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5515324

I give it water when the soil is dry. The soil is from a garden center and it is called gardener soil, maybe it is to heavy (rich) for this plant?. I have also 1/3 cat litter sand who dos not clotted and does that it get drainage. ( I don’t speak this language, so please be patient with my poor English)
It has been out in the garden in the sun all summer, but for the last week it has been it in my winter garden with flower light (I have a big lamp and the light is for flower who blossom) it is on 12 hour a day.
But the same was happening when it was out in the garden.
The pot is clay, but not the natural one, it have been painted and varnish. ( wonder if that come out right ?)
But the pot is not breathing, maybe that is not so ideal ?
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5516092

It sounds like you're doing things right. Maybe the change in environment from outside to inside caused the flower buds to abort? I use the unpainted clay pots so the soil can dry out fast. The painted clay pots are nice. Your English is great, no need to apologize. I would need to use google.com to translate English into your language, like this (is it close to being correct?):

Det høres ut som du gjør tingene riktig. Kanskje endringen i miljøet fra utsiden til innsiden forårsaket blomst knopper å avbryte? Jeg bruker unpainted leire potter, slik at jorden kan tørke ut fort. The Painted leire potter er nice. Ditt engelsk er stor, ikke trenger å be om unnskyldning. Jeg ville trenge å bruke google.com å oversette engelsk til ditt språk, som dette (er det nær å være riktige?)

Joseph
snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 7, 2008
6:49 AM

Post #5519331

Thanks a lot for the answer, yes I am also thinking that pots who has no painting on is best, but not so fine. Maybe I will try to move the adenium to a pot that breathing when there are no flower buds left.
What fertilizer is the best to use, a special for cacti and succulent?
Impressed, yes it is close to be right. I didn’t know about these translations on google.
I use word with English language to check my spelling, and when I don’t remember the English word I use TriTrans a interactive translating book on the internet.
But it isn’t always I found the right word there either, and then I have a problem.
Like flower bud in Norwegian “bud” is called “knopp” and when I try to translate that it came up burgeon and that is a boat related thing ? I think that is how fast the boat is going. But I figure that out, so I only write that the flower would not open and you understood.
But like I wrote in another topic here, I haven’t been so active in Daves garden because of my insecure of the English grammar, but I have decided that that is really stupid of me, and have decided to be active posting on this forum :-)
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2008
7:27 AM

Post #5519360

Good for you! Don't worry one bit about your English with us - it is well know that it is a pig of a language for anyone to learn if they haven't grown up with it. The more you post the more fluent you will get. I bet you I would have Buckley's (ie NO) chance of learning Norwegian!

Just in case you would like to know, KNOT is the measurement for boat speed. BURGEON is to grow and flourish; as in "The burgeoning administration"; "The burgeoning population" . It is also used in the sense of .."To put forth new buds, leaves, or greenery; sprout." which is where your confusion came in. One of the annoying things about English is the number of words which are both nouns and verbs, so you have "A flower BUD" a noun or a name for a thing; and then you have "My fruit trees are in BUD" or "My fruit trees are BUDDING" which is a verb, a word you use when describing an action by someone or something else, or even something you can do hence "I am BUDDING my fruit trees today" (BUDDING in THIS sense is a kind of very small grafting where you cut a small growth point from one plant and slip it under the bark or skin of another plant - it is most often done with roses and trees)

Hope this helps, Ciao, KK.

PS If you want to learn a bit of Australian slang - Here is a reference for "Buckley's Chance" http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Buckley's_chance

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America