Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Who Ate my Althea? Deer-Resistant Plants for the Midwest: some nibbles

Communities > Forums > Article: Who Ate my Althea? Deer-Resistant Plants for the Midwest
bookmark
Forum: Article: Who Ate my Althea? Deer-Resistant Plants for the MidwestReplies: 1, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

September 6, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5516474

I friend has found that while deer often don't eat irises, they will eat the buds. Maybe the taste is not as strong as in other parts of the plant. These were east coast deer.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5516988

The deer ate my snaps or it could be the rabbits. I have a good chunk of our gardens fenced with deer fence with a nice wooden one along the points of entry because the deer fence is ugly. Nantucket has an enormous deer population. Our house is suppose to be in the area with the highest density which is estimated to be between 80 and 100 deer in the square mile around us. I love seeing them out in the adjacent moors and even in the unfenced 2 acres that I left for them. But too many.

Here is a new section that we had done this summer. DH and I did the plastic deer fence with an additional lower barrier of rabbit wire. We have had the deer fence up for 6 years. It works, but the rabbits just eat holes through it and munch on everything. grrrrrrrrr. So DH is on a constant patrol looking for breaches in the fence. Plus we spray. Thanks for the article. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Who Ate my Althea? Deer-Resistant Plants for the Midwest Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Althea wvgardendeva 0 Sep 8, 2008 2:58 PM
Deer resistance in New Jersey PrincetonCarl 0 Sep 9, 2008 5:44 PM
deer-resistant lilyb 0 Sep 13, 2008 12:51 AM
Deer resistance in Ohio -over 300 plants rox_male 1 Aug 15, 2011 12:33 PM
Wildlife problems binibusybee 2 Oct 12, 2009 3:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America