Amazon Steals!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Just ordered this office chair. Wow, 97% off LOL!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Office-Star-Space-Professional-Managers/dp/B000PWINLQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1220756088&sr=1-3

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow...that really seems like one of those "too good to be true" things...I wonder if it was a typo in the listing? I looked at the seller's feedback and the most recent one in there was a negative that was just left today because someone bought something and then the company told them that the listing was an error and they wouldn't be receiving the item so it seems they do have some history of errors (maybe it was even for this item). Since it's through Amazon you shouldn't have too much trouble getting your $$ back though if it turns out to be a mistake. I looked at their other office chairs that they offer, and I think there's a digit missing in there, all their other chairs that look sort of like that are in the $150+ price range.

Nice of you to do this research for me! I'll order one and see how it goes. I did try to buy a baby swing, it was reduced to $9 but Amazon wouldn't even let me add it to the cart...typo.

As far as typo's, you'd tend to think that on this! But I did get another Amazon steal last fall. This chandalier: http://www.amazon.com/Globe-Espresso-Five-Light-Chandelier-Pleated/dp/B000GBYE5U/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220759162&sr=8-6

I needed one in black iron and didn't want glass globes. When I bought the chandalier it was reduced to $37 bucks!!!!!!!! And I even got free shipping on it! I was kicking myself later as it would have been a great item to resell for profit. Oh well!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 11:27 PM

Does Amazon have a feature for looking up discounted items like the above?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Anytime you do a search you always have the option to sort price lowest to highest. Or if you go into one of their departments (books, home improvement, etc), there's usually a link for bargains/discounts in that department. Or there's the gold box for today's deals that shows up at the top of the main page (that one might be there only if you're logged into your Amazon account, and it's not searchable so if you're looking for something in particular rather than just window shopping the other places are better)

I did see the gold box and checked that. Man, imagine the sales they'd get on these discounted items if there was an easy link to them!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, they make more money on the things you pay full price for! LOL Number of sales doesn't mean as much if your profit margin is next to nothing, they'd have to sell an awful lot of those $11 chairs or $37 chandeliers to make as much money as they'd make selling just one at full price.

Ah, but it works for Wal-Mart. :)

Well, the chair in the original post is now, a few days later, back up to 172 or so! WOW!

My cc shows that my payment of $11 for the chair and $30 for shipping is pending. So hopefully I'll have a chair and not a refund soon. :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Keep us posted! Could be even if it was a typo that they have to honor that price and send it to you anyway.

Concerned now.

My Amazon acct shows no record of the order. And yet my cc is pending the charge?

Will call Amazon shortly.

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO CHAIR THAT'S WHAT! I will be leaving a bad review as the one you pointed out had. Seems my order was canceled and my card will be credited. HA!

Link to the company not opening their site? Wonder how many orders were canceled?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I bet you the other person who left the bad review that I saw had ordered that same chair! LOL Oh well, it was worth trying, would have been great to get a $170 chair for $11!

It's on sale NOW for $170 it's more than that. I don't think any office chair is worth that anyhow. I was just going for it based on size and price.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've noticed that some things like that tend to be permanently on sale...they'll list some huge retail price to make you think you're saving money and that you ought to hurry up before it goes back to the regular price, but then you come back months later and it's still very close to the same "sale" price.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

If you happen to have an Amazon Chase credit card there is a great promotion.You have to call Chase and request an upgrade for your card.Then you will receive 3 points for every $ you spend on Amazon 2 points for gas and some other things and 1 point for everything else.The promotion gives you double points for the first 3 months you use the card.That's 6 points for every $ spent on Amazon! 5000 points =$50

That's an awesome deal! Yes it was my only cc and we were quite satisfied with it. But now DH opted for another card who's points earned is a cash refund not just Amazon credit.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

You can get cash with this too.Your choice.The deal is the double points for 6 months.

Sweet!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a Citi card that pays 2% on gas, groceries and pharmacy*, 1% on everything else. When you total $50 you receive a check. Most hassle-free card I've ever used. I use it exclusively.

* 5% for 1st six months

Yuska

That's a great deal. Our new and only cc is only 10%. Amazon is high but I basically only use them for online buying.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Two years ago on the Amazon Friday Sale I got a Factory-Reconditioned DEWALT 3/8-inch Drill for 95 cents. Regular price is about $35. The deal was gone less than an hour after I ordered. Had to be a mistake but Amazon sent it anyways (have Amazon Prime so they paid for the shipping too).

That caused me to stay awake every Thursday night until the Friday deals were posted for over a year. Never found anything like that again.

Wow thats freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do they always have a friday sale? And of course it posts at 12:01 a.m.???

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, they always have a Friday sale and you can find it at the top of the page under the gold box. Plus they have deals all day, some really good, some just ok. A 95 cent drill...wow!

Amazon has an on-going 4 for 3 promotion, too; I've been eyeballing this fish poacher, which I think would be an excellent planter, if nothing else for this price http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000WPOKHM/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
or just big discounts like this cultivator for $8.14, shipped free with a $25 purchase.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004S1R8/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I sound like an ad for them. I check first thing every morning on their lightening deals

How can one do the 4 for 3. Is there a LIST of what qualifies or is it just luck of the draw if you are choosing like items? I often have that problem with books, can find 2 or 3 with the "sale" and not 4 lol. Only time I did get 4 of them they sent a 4th book not the one I had ordered. I kept it since the sticker price was higher than the one I requested but the invoice matched the order I had placed not what I got. LOL.

Does anyone know, if you buy something off Amazon that's through a store, say Target for example, since there IS a Target down the street from me, am I getting out of paying sales tax but paying shipping?

Never mind. I put it in checkout to see. A double whammy haha. I canceled that one asap.

Shipping on a $35 item was 20 bucks PLUS the tax. To funny. Checked store site, same price so no discount buying through Amazon.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The basic state sales tax rule when ordering on line is - if the supplier (Target, in this case) has an outlet anywhere in your state, then sales tax must be affixed to your purchase.

And yet there's no tax on Dave's membership. *shhhhhhh*

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

An intangible asset - doesn't clasiffy as merchandise.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

A lot depends on the state. In New Mexico, we have a Gross
Receipts tax (6.875%) that is applied to all services as well
as merchandise. Most food items were recently excluded
except for things like potato chips, soft drinks, etc. Subscriptions
to locally published newspapers and magazines are taxed, although
it is usually buried in the subscription cost.

In NM, the tax is applied to fees for doctor/dentist visits, auto
repairs, hair cuts, lawyer fees and just about everything
that exists. The joke here is "If you can see it, feel it, touch
it or participate in it, it gets taxed".

Bwahahaha that was funny June! Wow, I can't believe DOC visits are taxed. That's stretching it a bit. In TX it's like 6. something % here to then whatever city/town you live tacks on another 2% +. It's nuts. I remember in MI when I was a kid (not yet 30 lol) and tax was 4%! Fortunately neither in MI nor TX are we taxed on food. Well, TX does tax on the junk food. I feel bad for states that tax all of it. On top of income taxes. Whew.

Yuska, and yet services are taxed. Weird isn't it.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

The trick with Amazon is to check the vendor's website if there is one. Target often has free shipping from their own site. You can also access Target through fatwallet.com and get money back. I generally only buy from Amazon if it is free shipping as most other vendors have their own sites (ie. Mothernature.com, J&R Computers, Target)....

Finding the 4 for 3 deals is not always easy, that's for sure, but to do it, search 4 for 3 promotions and you'll get lots of products with breakdowns by category. Usually...

Oh thanks!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

It's a matter of time for the states to get taxes from Amazon; NY started it in September. I sent something to a friend in NY via Amazon, and was charged a hefty tax. ugh

WOAH! Yes well NY and CA to aren't they (?) are usually ahead of the game. NY is now charing 5 cents per plastic bag. No, not to save the environment, but to fill a deficit in the budget!

I'm so OT in my own thread haha.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

On your own thread is ok, isn't it?
CA not yet - only if the vendor is in the state. If being environmental fills the deficit, works for me. Lots of ways to the same park bench. :-)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

At least in some states, when you file you income taxes you also are supposed to pay sales tax on anything that you bought out of state and didn't get charged sales tax on. Ohio had just put that rule in place shortly before I moved here, and California has that rule as well, not sure how many other states do but I imagine it's more than just those two. I don't know how they'd really be able to do a good job enforcing it, but the laws are there.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, there are those laws in place.
Technically, because I live on an Indian Reservation and my AXH is native, no CA state tax should be accessed on purchased delivered here. I managed to get some of the stores to deduct it, but that was a few years ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images