Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heirloom Vegetables: Heirloom Strawberries

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

September 7, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5521582

Hello all,

It is nigh on autumn and here in the desert Southwest I am preparing for my winter fruit and vegetable beds. I am determined to grow strawberries. Does anyone have any recommended heirloom varieties. I prefer ever bearing.

I thank you very kindly in advance,
Ben
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

September 10, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5535402

Could it be there is no such thing as an heirloom variety of strawberry?

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5536195

Possible, since all commercail strawberries are hybrids propagated by stolens, The oldest cultivars that I know about that are still around but rare are Blakemore and Fairfax.
carolpen
Newport, NC

October 31, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5736453

Is it easy to propagate strawberry plants from seed? Can the seeds go directly into the ground or should they be started in flats? What about the daughter plants - do they produce as much as the mother plants? Hope to actually have some to eat next year.
Carolpen

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5736675

Fairfax is listed with SSE, as is one called Old North Sea. It was found growing in an abandoned Viking settlement in Denmark. Supposed to be suited for PNW type of climate, so that leaves AZ out though. Another variety is called Scarlet and was from a 1700's English source.

It would be my guess that heirloom strawberries would be more suited for cooler, damper weather,as that is their natural habitat.

Alpine strawberries can be propagated from seed. The more 'tame' ones will probably not grow true from seeds.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

October 31, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5737354

Hi Melody,

Thank you so kindly for this information. Strawberries are more than a challenge here in Arizona. I have some good plants growing and if I am lucky I will get an early spring crop. Despite my desire to grow varieites like what you have mentioned, I know I wouldn't be doing them or myself any sort of service by trying to get them to survive our heat. I shall have to move!

Thank you once again,
Ben
Luziannagourmet
Hester, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2009
6:15 AM

Post #6118658

I'm trying to get some old Louisiana strawberries that are dwindling next to extinction. There are a few varieties, all are smaller with less of a yield - but have a flavor so good, you'll spit the regular ones out. One is the Tangi, can't remember the others off hand - quite possibly some could have been Sicilian originally. I need to try to find the guy in Tickfaw, LA who keeps a few going to make strawberry wine. I think Henry Amato, I saw an adress on the ineternet, but don't know where it is as of now. I should've planted by December.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America