Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 20, Views: 668
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carol7

(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2001
12:25 PM

Post #1393

Does anyone have a rose bush called Betty Boop? Are they a difficult bush to maintain? I'm a big fan of Betty Boop and I said I wanted a few of those for my b'day next week. I'm new to gardening, and these will be my first rose bushes. Is this a bush I should wait to get until I'm more experienced with roses? Thanks and boop boop de boop!
Carol
Grits
Pineville, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2001
12:40 PM

Post #52141

Carol: Welcome to the world of roses. I got hooked last year and have found that this is an addiction. I want every rose I see.

I have read about Betty Boop - and it's touted to be a great one.

I stick to the Old Garden Roses - they are easier to grow and carefree, not finicky, etc. I'm in Louisiana and have to cope with the humidity.

Some really great rose vendor sites can be found by going to http://www.helpmefind. I personally order from Chamblee's Rose Nursery in Tyler, Texas (rose hustler capitol of the world, ha)http://chambleeroses.com Their plants are shipped in gallon containers and are healthy. They cost $6.95, which is one of my primary reasons for buying from them, lol.

Blessings and welcome to the Rose Forum,
Grits
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2001
1:52 PM

Post #52166

Betty Boop is a nice floriferous small to medium sized floribunda (3'. It tends to fade in the sun, fairly rapidly, but the blooms will hang on a long time in that state. The washed out look of pale cream with strawberry edges will sort of remind you of a single version of Double Delight. It has been fairly disease resistant in my Mississippi garden, but that took some time to develop. In it's first couple of seasons it blackspotted pretty good. OF course, that's not a problem if you spray regularly, but I'm kinda hit and miss so it did show up for me.
Carol7

(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2001
12:56 AM

Post #52662

Grits...Thank you for the warm welcome and letting me know where the "rose hustler capital" is. An old friend of mine lives 30 miles away from there and is coming to visit in May. I'm going to have to talk to her. ;o)
Sunflower...Thanks so much for the details concerning this bush. I appreciate you telling me about blackspotting, I have never heard of it before; I guess my inexperience is really showing.
I've decided to give Betty Boop a try. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I hope you both will be here to help me.
Thanks again, Carol

Grits
Pineville, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2001
12:56 PM

Post #52733

Carol: Most of the rose vendors have "how-to's" on growing roses that have been very helpful to me. The American Rose Society also has a lot of great info on how to grow, fertilize, prune, roses for your zone, etc. I learned a lot by reading all this.

Blessings,
Grits

arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

February 19, 2001
3:38 AM

Post #52910

It is very pretty, almost bought one at a going out of business deal, but the lady took it back.. said it was her "private stock". boy i was bummed.
sheila
Wigan, Landcashire
United Kingdom

February 28, 2001
8:58 PM

Post #54877

This rose has just been released here in Gt Britain, it looks a lovely rose,next season may get a couple.
mom2cats
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2001
4:58 AM

Post #54975

I've been eyeing this Betty Boop for over a year now...but have my reservations (which were just confirmed about the black spot)...I struggle with it so badly up here in humid NJ that I am trying to not plant anything new that is suspectible to it. Plus, from what has been described, it doesn't sound like it's as clearly "splashed" with color as the pictures show...if it is more like a "Double Delight". To me, that's like saying it's more of a watercolor than an oil painting! ;-)

Thanks for all the info folks...think this would have to be one I'll pass on. Another one I didn't have good luck with was the "Gemini", unfortunately. Maybe it was just because I bought it from J&P! I've had lots of trouble w/ their roses.
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2001
5:04 AM

Post #54977

I have it. And I love it. It has become one of my favorites
My husband picked it out and I didnt think I would like it that much, the single open rose. It starts out a hot pink and fades to a beautiful amber/ivory. Very old fashioned looking. The next edition like it will be dainty bess. A pink single open bloom with a maroon center. I hope I like it as much as the Betty Boop. Just as easy as any other rose I have . Not difficult to keep at all. It blooms and blooms too.I have hybrid teas and Grandifloras and Floribundas. I do not find them hard to grow at all. I spray them with baking soda and soap. Prune them so that the air circulates. And fertilize with rose food and compost and manure . I kind of alternate the different fertilizers. I think roses are one of the easiest things. to grow.
mom2cats
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2001
2:24 AM

Post #55202

Michelle5000 - -you're in such a great area to grow roses too! You don't have the yukky weather that us easterner's have! I envy you! I think that one of my all time favorites is called "Unforgettable" after Nat King Cole...a beautiful clear pink with lovely ovoid buds...great long stems for cutting! It took me 3 years to find it again after I had to leave all my roses (& other gardens!) behind when we moved up here to Jersey. :-(( Between that and Mr. Lincoln, those two are the easiest and healthiest roses I have.

BTW, is anyone interested in trading for a "Diana, Princess of Wales" rose. This is NOT the one from Jackson Perkins, but the actual one that was authorized by Diana herself. I had bought it at Garden.com and it is not what I expected.
eiroberts
Schenevus, NY

March 4, 2001
11:23 AM

Post #55657

I have had the Betty Boop rose in my garden (zone 4) going on 2 yrs. I give it no care..just some compost in the spring. Its a bit on the orangy side for me but i have had no problem with disease, and i do not spray...go figure. It gets about 2.5 feet tall. I guess it gets plenty of snow cover so it lives fine thru the winter. I bought it for the name...knew nothing about it...Hope this helps
sanhla
Tucson, AZ

May 13, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7790133

Betty Boop is one of our favorites. My wife got two pots from Home Depot 9 years ago. They do very well in the Tuscon's hot climate of 90-102 weather from June to August (zone 10). Late March and April it is completely covered with blooms. It does rebloom well. Good disease resistant . Never had a problem with it. It is a big plant. She is a big girl and smiles at you. The diameter of the stems at the base is 3 inches. In January I prune them to a 4 1/2 feet height at which point the stems are an inch in diameter. . . They take off to about 7 feet in height with a 6 feet spread. It acts as a screen for my front patio. As michele500 says " It starts out a hot pink and fades to a beautiful amber." It is floribunder with long stems and I get 4 - 6 flowers per spray.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7790262

Some more info and pics for Betty Boop can be found on Help Me Find Roses, including places that sell it if you look at the Buy From tab:

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.671
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7825249

I just bought a Betty Boop rose this year, and I have been so pleased with it! Black Spot is such a huge problem here, most people just have Knock Out Roses. I am always on the lookout for something different, though - Betty Boop has performed beautifully for me so far this year (I've had her about 2 & 1/2 months now). Right now, black spot is hitting all of my roses hard and most are defoliating, but my Betty Boop and my Sun Flare roses are holding up beautifully - so I highly recommend her!
Below is a photo I took when temps were cooler in April - the red line is not so distinct. Now that we have temps in the mid to high 80s, the blooms are yellow with a distinct red margin. They are VERY eye catching from a distance.

Thumbnail by ericabelle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 25, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7825589

I love my Betty Boop too but she is quite sensitive to black spot..
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7826510

porkpal, I'm stalking you. I killed my BB.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7826534

My Betty Boop died in its first year, though not sure of the cause. It was DW's favorite rose at the time.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 25, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7828274

I probably should have mentioned that this is my second Betty Boop. The first didn't survive my "care".
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7829743

Tell us how you've done so far with yours, Carol7!

I've had this one on my "list" for years. Still haven't gotten around to it. Maybe next time I'm at Chamblee's (now I don't think of them as hustlers--the guys along the road and selling out of their front yards, yes). From the height description it sounds like this one would be another good canditate for my half-barrel planters!

lelamarie

lelamarie
Novato, CA

June 4, 2014
4:35 PM

Post #9859182

"Betty Boop" is a great rose to grow.++++ It is a show stopper and alway in bloom and lots of color.. It is fairly disease resistant. Mine get a little blackspot but I think it is because there is so much growth that they don't get enough air circulation. This can easily be taken care of with a little pruning out the center and treating them early in the season before they get growth before and after they are pruned. If I get to them early in the season I wouldn't have any problems. They are prolific bloomers.. I have a roll of 4 covering one side of the drive.. They stay usually below 3 feet but I put one in a raised bed and it really went crazy and has a four foot cane that just came up in the middle. I have several more spread around. They do like sun. I know they are listed as shade tolerant but I think it would be harder to control disease if you had them in the shade..(If you want a similar shade tolerant rose I would suggest "Playboy") They tolerate the hot dry weather really better then most roses. They bloom all the time from spring to late fall here above San Francisco.
They make a great border. They provide amazing color to the garden. It was one of my first roses and have bought several more just because I love them.. If you buy it on it's own root it will take several years before you get the 3X3 ft bush.. I have both and now they are all the same size and I don't really see much difference now.
We kill roses sometimes because we just get a bad rose but usually it is because of how we take care of it once it comes home. Buy a good healthy rose from a reputable rose dealer. The best way to prevent losing a rose is to take time and plant it properly. The times I have lost plants was usually because I was in a hurry and did not take time to prepare the soil .If you buy own root roses put it in a pot until it is at least 2 to 3 years old. If you buy bare root take time to soak it overnight and check it well for diseases on the roots or canes.
Now I only plant roses using Rose Soil that I get from the garden center. mixed with eco compost.. I dig a 2 ft x 2ft hole that is at least 2ft deep. (yes my back hurts and I'm not allowed to dig anymore).
Fill the hole with water to make sure it drains. We have clay soil so I have to dig that out.. Clay soil will kill most roses. I add aged manure to the bottom of the hole so that the plant has some to feed on when the roots get there. I add a hand full of bone meal, hand full of blood meal. Since I live in a place that is very hot and dry in the spring, summer and fall I use those polymer water beads that swell up with water so that I don't have to water so much. I wouldn't use these if I lived somewhere it rained during the summer because I would be concerned it would cause root rot. Important to plant for the area you live it. We get only sort period of frost so cannot tell you how this rose does where there is more freezing. We had 2 weeks of temps under 30 this year and that didn't seem to bother any of the roses but we all lost many more tropical plants.
The rose will need to be pampered for the first year. It has to be kept watered well for the first season then should be able to make it on less water.
So next spring go buy yourself a present of several Betty Boops and go crazy.. Roses make us happy..

Thumbnail by lelamarie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2014
10:15 AM

Post #9859790

[quote=So next spring go buy yourself a present of several Betty Boops and go crazy.. Roses make us happy.. [/quote]

Ah, a fellow enabler! ☺ And yes they do make us happy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM
Kathleen louisa 3 Feb 27, 2008 12:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America