Photo by Melody

Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring: Fall is for planting, fer sure

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the SpringReplies: 7, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #5523742

Carrie, great article, very informative. I didn't know about the snow/air thing, not that that is a concern in the TX gulf coast, lol. Today I'm spending all day getting stuff out of my plant ghetto and planting inground. I have an old patio umbrella in the ghetto so my plants survive the blistering heat. Now they're strong and ready to take on the world.

Another thing about fall is that when you order by mail, it seems to me you get more mature plants, the ones that sellers started in Spring but did not get to sell until now. This is most evident in roses. Also w/ DLs, I have yet to lose any fall planted ones as compared to ones purchased in spring and/or summer.

Again, thanks for your perspective on the subject.
nstener
Newton Center, MA

September 8, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5524073

I too am doing alot of planting this fall and expect it to pay off as it has in the past. However, I recently ran across some advice from a trusted source on the web that advised against planting Helenium in the Fall, so I've decided not to plant them now. Are there other shrubs or perennials that people have experience with that don't do well planted in the fall? (I'm in Zone 6.)

Also, I couldn't find super phosphate last week, so I bought some triple phosphate (49% phosphate) for transplanting. I am using somewhat less than I normally would when I transplant, but I am worried about burning. Anyone had experience with it you could share?

Thanks!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5524314

Hmmmm, my helenium friend (it's helenium you see in the thumbnail) says you CAN plant helenium in the fall. It's hardy enough that it ought to make it through the winter all right in a container, though. I think for plants whose main season of bloom is in the fall, my arguments don't hold up, because they aren't finished "performing" for the year, in fact they may be just beginning!

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you about your super-triple phosphate question.

Thank you both for your comments!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5524488

Planting in the fall makes perfect sense to Nature. Does she not drop the bounty right where it is and it is ready for the next opportunity to grow. Thank you for reminding us of that.

Christi

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5524506

Excellent point, Christi, and one I hadn't thought of in conjunction with this article. In fact, most of the pro-winter sowing explanations work for planting plants too. (And it's time for me to plant out the rest of my winter sown plants, too!) I don't even know if you were talking about winter sowing but that's certainly what your response made me think of!

Thank you for reading, and for taking the time to comment.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5524558

I am too lazy for all of the formal "winter sowing". This is my 4th full summer of the "gardening obsession", as our daughter calls it. Knowing nothing, I have each fall, cleared the previous growth and added more amendments to the beds. Having saved seed from most everything (happens platycodon was my first perrenial) I put all the seed together in a large (half-gallon) jar. Shake them up and scatter as though I were feeding chickens. Have had phenomonal luck. At the moment recovering from extensive back surgery and have done nothing for over a month. Would you believe everything has gone to seed and is taking of itself better than I? Well, of course! Can't wait to see the results in the spring.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5524678

carrie- great article
LouC- a lot to be said for that--and next year you can just edit out what you have too much of

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5524781

Thank you, Sally!

Christi, that's one of the best things about Davesgarden, to me. Nobody actually has to see your garden unless you're ready. Hope you feel better soon!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus bulbs Gisforgran 8 Sep 10, 2008 6:43 PM
Fall is for planting CHOOD 7 Sep 9, 2008 9:09 AM
Platycodon in Zone 6 Patches001 2 Oct 1, 2009 2:04 PM
thank you Carrie! JacalynFromCanada 1 Sep 9, 2008 9:22 AM
Fall planting TreeSteward 3 Sep 10, 2008 8:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America