Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: Killer Ginger!!!!

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 3, Views: 227
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 8, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5524757

I took this picture last summer. It appears that the ginger closed up on this moth's proboscus and would not let go. The moth was dead.

What do y'all think?

Kay

Yeah, it was going to be a tomato horn worm anyway. (I have secretly trained my ginger plants to wipe those nasties out!)

Thumbnail by TrixieM
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5525138

you are so bad Kay lol
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 9, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5527400

Heh, heh, heh! Donna, I KNEW this one was gonna get you! I'm going to save up all the tomato hornworms I can find and send them home with you in October!

Edited to say: I love to tease my dear friend Donna (the queen of butterflies), but this was NOT a set up picture. I did, in fact, find this dead moth hanging like this from a dying hedychium coronarium flower. I do not spray poisons in or around my gingers.

Does anyone have a clue what might have caused this????

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 9:43 AM

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 9:44 AM
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #5993042

Hi Kay,
I'm only 5 months late in responding to your question.. however, this occurs when the flower starts to wilt and the hummingbird moth is still feeding, their proboscis gets stuck down in the tube and they are not able to extract themselves. I find it more often then I care to down in the swamp.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America