Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Killer Ginger!!!!

Mc Call Creek, MS

I took this picture last summer. It appears that the ginger closed up on this moth's proboscus and would not let go. The moth was dead.

What do y'all think?

Yeah, it was going to be a tomato horn worm anyway. (I have secretly trained my ginger plants to wipe those nasties out!)

Thumbnail by TrixieM
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

you are so bad Kay lol

Mc Call Creek, MS

Heh, heh, heh! Donna, I KNEW this one was gonna get you! I'm going to save up all the tomato hornworms I can find and send them home with you in October!

Edited to say: I love to tease my dear friend Donna (the queen of butterflies), but this was NOT a set up picture. I did, in fact, find this dead moth hanging like this from a dying hedychium coronarium flower. I do not spray poisons in or around my gingers.

Does anyone have a clue what might have caused this????

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 9:43 AM

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 9:44 AM

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Hi Kay,
I'm only 5 months late in responding to your question.. however, this occurs when the flower starts to wilt and the hummingbird moth is still feeding, their proboscis gets stuck down in the tube and they are not able to extract themselves. I find it more often then I care to down in the swamp.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.