Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring: Fall is for planting

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the SpringReplies: 7, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CHOOD
Rosenberg, TX

September 8, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5524918

I've had terrific success in my part of the world with this. Our springs give way to very hot summers very quickly but fall is wonderful and many of our winters are mild.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5524986

You're the third person who has written to me from TX with that same type of advice! I was thinking mostly of New England, where only losers (= really smart people) plant stuff in the fall - why do they sell it in the spring, then? But I'm glad to hear it works for the southwest too. Thank you for your comments!
LilyKirk
Indianapolis, IN

September 8, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5525447

I couldn't agree with you more, Carrie. (Really cute picture, too.) Another thing I like about planting perennials in the fall is that the garden vibration slows down, it's starting to cool off, and the butterflies, hummingbirds and bees are everywhere. And I've had a delightful surprise this fall - praying mantises galore! I took a neat picture but I haven't learned how to send it. Maybe next time.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5525471

Super cool, Lily! Praying mantises are one of the ways the earth says "YES! Keep gardening," I believe. Thanks for writing.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5526839

Carrie, I loved your article--I planted a whole bunch of inexpensive plants from Bluestone Perennials last Fall and they came up like gang-busters. My only advice: be sure to label your Fall plantings well, and even better, make a detailed plot-plan-- because over the winter and early spring those little white labels "migrate" or blow away entirely and then you are faced with a bed-full of extremely vigorous, delightful. . . whaaat?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5527712

I need this bit of advice taped to my checkbook and debit card:LOL: I'm perennially challenged (suck at them) and through various co-ops and co-op groups I always buy buy buy the poor little plugs. We order early but the orders are tending to show up in the heat of summer.
The last batch I got today (echinaceas) and they are the best of them that I've ever received and I think it must be due to the lower temps.

I always buy from the clearance/half price tables tucked in the rear of my favorite higher end nursery. I've picked up some great plants and know that they will return the following year like Phlox, coreopsis, gaillardia and now I think I need to look for a pretty blue balloon flower:lol:
grdnkupkake
Eden, Ontario
Canada

September 9, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #5528108

I accidently found out about planting in the fall when I had one of those years when I was laid up after surgery, and then My mom was laid up with a heart attack, and my daughter had a colicky baby and I was helping her alot. I knew that alot of my plants needed dividing, and since I never got to them in the spring, I divided them in the fall. Was I ever surprised when they came up looking better than the few new ones I had bought. Now when I do buy something new, I wait until the end of the spring season, leave them in the potand kind of stick them in the ground until fall, and then plant them. they come up looking like they have been there forever and they are much more vigorous than any planted in the spring

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
9:09 AM

Post #5528262

You know, we're not inventing these strategies. They just don't line up with modern marketing. Spring is for flowers and fall is for pumpkins.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fall is for planting, fer sure vossner 7 Sep 8, 2008 4:35 PM
Gladiolus bulbs Gisforgran 11 Aug 13, 2014 9:48 PM
Platycodon in Zone 6 Patches001 2 Oct 1, 2009 2:04 PM
thank you Carrie! JacalynFromCanada 1 Sep 9, 2008 9:22 AM
Fall planting TreeSteward 3 Sep 10, 2008 8:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America