-
AuthorContent
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2001
12:30 PM

Post #1394

Got two of the three pea varieties planted yesterday, in a light mist. And then the sky's opened up. I mean it was Noah's Cape around here.

This is the third year in a row that the monsoons hit immediately after I planted peas. Last year the rains were so bad the seeds got washed out and I had to replant.

I'm thinking of a new career path. For an appropriately high fee, me and my packets of pea seed can show up at any drought site and get going. Sure enough, the drought will break. But then they'll have trouble with the floods.
Nepthys
Kennedy, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2001
12:33 PM

Post #52139

Can you help with snow? :)
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2001
12:37 PM

Post #52140

John Lindsey, while mayor of New York, said to the people of Queens: "God put the snow on the ground, God will take it away."

Who am I to interfere in God's work? :-)
dave

February 15, 2001
12:50 PM

Post #52145

Brook - I thought of you while I was driving to and from Atlanta yesterday, remembering that you'd be planting your peas on the traditional Valentines Day.

Better to be planting in the rain than not planting at all!! :) I'm putting out my first row of onion seeds today, and the weather is yucky - misting and very wet. Ugh.

Dave
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2001
2:27 PM

Post #52180

Yup, today is a good day for planting root crops. I hope your back holds up better than mine has. LOL

Pete2
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2001
5:37 PM

Post #52224

Rain? Rain you say?

Son, we're not talking rain. We're talking biblical deluge.

By the time it tapered off there was 2" of standing water on the flats, and the creek running bank to bank.

BTW, Dave, you have my sypathies driving to and from Atlanta. Atlanta is a great place to be in. But getting to, and coming from is a real horror show.
dave

February 15, 2001
5:50 PM

Post #52233

And in the heavy rain, no less. And Chattanooga is a traffic nightmare, rain or shine.

Actually, I made it back from downtown Atlanta to our home in only 3 hours. It's almost exactly 200 miles, and I've never done it that fast before.

Dave
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2001
3:44 PM

Post #52408

Good time, Dave. I have a brother that lives in Atlanta. I talked to him yesterday and he passed on a bit of information that will come in handy next time I go up for a baseball game. They're putting up those radar/picture taking machines that take a picture of you and your car tag if you exceed the speed limit. Shortly thereafter, you'll find a little surprise in the mail in the form of a summons to court for speeding.

Pete2
dave

February 16, 2001
3:56 PM

Post #52409

Pete2 - yup I read about this a few months ago. They've been doing it in Germany for years, and it's a matter of time before it takes hold here in the States (not that I believe this is a bad thing).

Here's a tip for you: Check out Atlanta's Marta system. Park on the outskirts of town and ride their Marta train straight to the ballpark. Your avoid the traffic, expensive parking, and walking a mile from your parking spot to the stadium.

Dave
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2001
4:16 PM

Post #52414

Oh yeah! I love Marta. I've ridden it many times. The new stadium is awesome but VERY expensive. It cost a small fortune to take my family of 6 to a baseball game. My 4 boys are really into sports and love the Braves. Oh the sacrifices we parents make for our kids! But it's all worth it to see the smiles on their faces.

Pete2
dave

February 16, 2001
4:32 PM

Post #52419

I've only been to 2 braves games in my life. The first was years ago in the old stadium, the second was the past summer when my twin brother and his family were visiting us in Atlanta.

The new stadium is incredibly impressive! It's very nice, but yes expensive. I think we paid $25 each for seats on the very top row of the stadium and something like $6 for a beer (which, for me, was a necessity so that I could sit through a 4 hour game).

;-)

Dave
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2001
4:02 AM

Post #52542

I thought of all you pea people as I tasted the yummiest snap peas today - yum!
Trish
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2001
4:57 PM

Post #52782

That's right, Trish. Rub it in! LOL

Pete2
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2001
11:52 PM

Post #52864

Hey Pete...I bought them from a local produce stand and boy, did I think what I am missing by not growing those babies..lol. I wish I had the space for veggies, but I don't. I'll just have to envy you pea planters everytime I eat something so good..more power to ya's!
Trish
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2001
2:49 AM

Post #52898

Well, I got the final---and most important---variety in today.

What makes it imporant? They're Parsley Peas, a very rare variety that Will Weaver sent me (he's the HDRA custodian for them). Instead of tendrils they put out parsley-like bunches of leaves. That's the part you eat.

Will sent me 50 seeds, and, hopefully, they'll be successful here and I'll have lots of seed to trade with in the fall.

This really is a very special variety, and I'd like to see more folks help preserve it.

Dicentra: It doesn't take a lot of room to grow peas. Lot's of time I grow them on large tomato towers, which only requires two feet of surface. That's how I put up my blue Pod Capucinjers this year, for instance.
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2001
9:18 PM

Post #53065

Brook..I may give it a try, then, with some tomatoes and peas :)
Trish

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America