-
AuthorContent
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #5528109

ARGH,,,had a long chatty note and then zap..wrong button..note in cyberspace.
Anyway, the folks at www.wegrowgarlic.com have their letter and order list up.
I met Karen at the Other garden site and we met and traded plants at local McDonald.
Anyway, on their list..I am the friend that brought over the Slovenian garlic. I got the bulb from another garden friend (prairie). Gardens make distance disappear!
Even if you don't like garlic, this is a webpage interesting to read and you will know Me, even if my name isn't listed.
Enjoy.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 8, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5647313

What a great site! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #5649603

You are so welcome. I picked up my garlic a couple of weeks ago, beautiful bulb/ cloves and already did some cooking.
I am glad that you looked at the site; great folk and really interesting story etc.
If you like garlic, saute' onions and chicken breast, can sent you the recipe that I use.
Yum!
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 14, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5669897

WOW - a whole world of garlic! I'd have to talk to the owners and see if they sell early season
garlic for pickling. You can pickle fall crop but the most tender if the younger ones. It was called May garlic by my gran. I am going down the list of the recipes and marking those I have to try.

My husband has a dangerously out of wack cholesterol levels so I am modifying our weekly menu at the moment ;) Marcia, your note is so timely for us.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5671497

HI, glad that you got it. They have wonderful produce, fresh, clean and who knew garlic had different flavors? I am sorry to hear about DH. I am on meds for that (my fault)--but many folk also inherit it -I saw the photos of him and he is definitely not in my Gnome shape. Good luck.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 15, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5675872

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! (I never thought I'd hear that coming out of my mouth, LOL.) I am three-fourths Slovenian, and try to grow anything from there. High on my list of rock garden seed to try are those from the Slovenian Alps. I don't recall any of my relatives there growing garlic in their gardens, but tell me more!

How did you come upon it, what part of Slovenia? How were they growing it? Does it have a Slovenian heritage, or was it just that you found it in Slovenian?

Ali govorite Slovenskem? Govorim malo.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5676871

A friend of mine got it from her uncle (he is in late 80's), I past on a bulb to Karen and Mike. I would imagine it came over in the generation before. They have settled in Sheboygan WI. That is all I know about it, other than it makes large bulbs. I think I gave it to her--oh boy here comes memory..maybe 3-4 seasons ago

They have started the fall planting, what a job and the weather has turned chilly and rainy. :(

I don't know what you said in Slovenian, but hope that it included good weather and bumper crops.

Edited:::-enya---they don't sell spring crop, but there are recipes on the site and/or I have been promised one using fall cloves for pickling ( when the rush has quieted down.)

This message was edited Oct 15, 2008 9:44 PM
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 16, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5678483

Marcia,
I speak Russian and it's a slavic language just like Slovenian. So I think Leftwood asked if you speak Slovenian and that she does not speak much of it. This is my guess just from common sounding words. It seems that unlike Russian-speaking community the Slovenian-speaking is much smaller and it's hard to keep the language alive with your kids :(

I'd love another pickled garlic recipe :) Love pickled garlic!

This message was edited Oct 16, 2008 10:14 AM
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 16, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #5680298

Regarding the translation, enya, you are correct. But there is no way you could know that I'm a he and not a she, LOL.

A simple method I've been using for years for pickled garlic:

Garlic, peeled and blanched 3 minutes
Rinse in cold water to stop cooking
Cover in dressing of olive oil, wine vinegar and pepper
Marinate in frig at least 3 days

I find I prefer a bunch of basil and a bit of oregano in the dressing

some garlic cloves go good in pickled anything:
cucumbers
carrots
onions
beets . . .
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 17, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5683247

Leftwood, sorry for this unintended transgender mixup :) and thank you for the recipe.
I use mustard seeds instead of pepper in mine. Are you using black pepper? I'll try this. Just got a good size batch of garlic so will marinade some. With the fall here and low temperatures just around the corner I am taking the last trimmings :( of all my herbs and have a lot of oregano, basil and thyme :)
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 17, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5684998

Yes, I use black pepper, fresh ground, of course. And better yet, I prefer using pepper in all its stages of ripeness (the pepper is a mix of red, black, white and green pepper corns). I use that mix with nearly all my cooking when I want black pepper. I'll have to try mustard seed sometime, too.

BTW, when I first found it, that basic recipe was called "Russian Salad."

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America