Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Wasps, horseflies, and flies all over my Rose Bush

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 13, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

September 9, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5528841

Yesterday, I returned home from work to find just my rosebush, covered in wasps and what looked like horseflies and/or flies. They were touching no other plants. What's going on here? It totally shocked me. It looked like they were looking for something...
kitten0115
La Vergne, TN

September 9, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5529345

they are looking for the last of the pollen. They are stocking up for the winter. As for the flies not sure on that one the bees however are hunting food. Don't worry about them they will leave.Do you have aphids by chance, they produce hineydew that maybe the flies are eating.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5529406

Wasps would definitely be looking for that aphid honeydew. The flies? would too. How big are the flies?
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

September 9, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5529991

Yeah, there are a bunch of aphids that just got there wings about a week ago, but I haven't seen any larva on the roses, just some other plants and the wasps/flies aren't even touching those other plants. I'll look closer though. The flies range from about 1/2" and are quite large to about 1/4". Will those wasps be eating aphids too? These wasps range from about 1/4" to a little less than 1/2". There are basically no roses left on the bush and they seem not to be interested in them. I've also had some holes (1/4" wide) in the leaves from some other organism, could the wasps be looking for these other organisms? By the way, there are absolutely no bees, just wasps and flies
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 9, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #5530551

there are leaf cutter wasps who chew off bits of leaf to take back and make there nests, could you also have a close look at your soil around the base of the roses etc, some wasps build nests under ground to lay their eggs in, you would see tiny little holes in the dry soil about the size of a worn hole in diameter. Are you absolutely sure they are wasps as some speices of bees have the same shape body as wasps but the wasps have the definite yellow / brown. black stripes, ground wasps look like bees but are not the fluffy bodied ones we normally see. good luck. WeeNel.
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

September 10, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5531554

Weenel, you do have a good point! Some bees do look like wasps. So I looked up bees and wasps in my province. I jumped outside and checked, they are the Common Aerial Yellowjacket. Check at this site:

http://www.insectsofalberta.com/wasps.htm

Diet: Insects mostly, also nectar and sweet foods.

So I think they are looking for nectar, cuz I don't see aphids on the bush, but tons on other plants, and they're not even touching those.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #5531884

There are also species of flies called Flower Flies which also pollinate flowers like bees do.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 10, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5535581

That sure as hell looks like a nasty wasp to me Janina, I dont know about anywhere else, but even though I hate wasps, they never bother us at all unless they feel threatened, they do become a real pest though when they start to die off about September time, they become sleepy and start to crawl around the grass and inside the home and believe me, if you or your kids stand on one, boy, you sure know what pain is, but other than at these times, they do a great job in the garden unless they make a nest close to your home. I am sure they are just feeding and will disappear soon, if you follow them and see where they are going to there hive /nest. then you can get help to get rid, but it aint for the faint hearted and can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. good luck. WeeNel.
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

September 10, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5535901

Thanks WeeNel. I sure hope their not at all building another nest or something for next season... The rose bush is right along our front walkway

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5536647

Check along the windows frames and along the bottom of the rose bushes.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 11, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5540104

At home here, these pests (well good guys at some time of the season) will build nests anywhere, even in the air vents of our homes, inside garden sheds, or even under the eves of the house, they like a coolish corner for nest buildings and only need a space the size of a crack to crawl in and out, so the best way to try find out where they are going is watching them coming and going, sometimes you will notice them hovering in the most unlikely place and when you do, just stay back and watch them. good luck. WeeNel.
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

September 16, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5559505

Aha! I found thousands of aphids under the leaves of the rosebush. I guess I thought that aphids pretty much avoid old growth and stick to tender new growth. Not so with the rosebush. When the wasps became few and far between, I hosed the hell out of the rosebush and cut it back quite a bit (this had to be done anyway, I would have rather done it when the leaves fell off though). There were so many aphids flying around that I got covered in seconds, and they were going in my hair and everything. It was so gross, I thought I was gonna puke. My boyfriend ran through and went inside the house he was so freaked out. Now most of those aphids are sprayed against my house and down in the flower bed. Ha! Showed them! I did research on these wasps, and they are the type to only build nests, there is another species on the link I provided that look very much alike to these wasps that will occupy anything anywhere.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #5560128

Glad you now have your answer! You did, indeed, show them! LOL
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 17, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5564966

Wasps, GRRRRRRRR, today I met up with an old dear friend and treated her to lunch, as it was the first dry day we have had for weeks, we decided to sit outside the marina and chat over lunch, Wasps had other ideas, my friend took of just like you described your
boyfriend (olimpic style but with a walking stick in tow) and I was left trying to swat these pesty wasps off the lunch table, they are so nasty this time of year as they start to die off and go sleepy so they want to land on you, then sting you if your not too careful, hate them when this season comes, You did good to hose off the aphids, the wasps were attracted to them rather than your poor Rose. good luck and keep spraying with the hose. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America