Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective: Get Rid of Snails Using Ammonia Sulfate

Communities > Forums > Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspectiveReplies: 0, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bjunesmith
Victorville, CA

September 9, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5530117

I started having snail problems in my back yard last year and tried sluggo to get rid of them. It reduced the number of snails, but it did not kill the eggs. Hence, many more snails this year. I read that they use ammonia sulfate in England to kill snails and it dissolves snails just like salt. Ammonia Sulfate is used as a fertilizer, 21% nitrogen. I have used it in the past to quick green my lawn. I spread it all over my back yard, lawn and flower beds. Snails are gone! It dissolves them quickly and completely. Only the shells are left. I let it sit on top of the soil in the flower beds (mostly roses), for a couple of days before watering well. It will burn plants if too much is applied, but it does not need to be applied heavily.
I have two cats that spend time outside. I kept them in for a couple of days just as I would if I applied any other chemical fertilizer. The ammonia sulfate dissolves when water is applied. So there is nothing left on the ground for animals to eat. Ammonia sulfate is cheap. About $6.00 for 20 lbs. My lawn and plants are green and the snails are gone. Problem solved.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! KyWoods 8 Apr 13, 2008 3:19 AM
I always say, "beer is best!" Sundownr 1 Apr 12, 2008 2:50 PM
SLUGS fred321 1 Apr 13, 2008 3:12 AM
Can slugs carry diseases? wabzy 1 Apr 15, 2008 4:30 AM
Slug problem ARWadoo 0 Apr 15, 2008 5:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America