-
AuthorContent
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #5532839

Everything else in my yard is going dormant, dwindling, going to seed. It really looks like fall. But my tithonias are finally putting on a show.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5532842

Other side

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5532843

OOps

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #5532845

This shows the true color a little better.

Thumbnail by kqcrna

roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2008
11:13 AM

Post #5532850

Very beautiful! I have 3 growing, not together but in different parts of the garden. I'm going to try doing them in mass next year now that I've seen your garden. I planted the yellow variety but it never grew, just the orange ones.
Rose

Thumbnail by roserairie

PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5538497

VERY nice! I haven't grown those in years - maybe next year . . .
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5540813

How lovely. !

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5541154

Karen, those are stunning... i wish i would have remembered to sow those last winter.
I have a lot of seeds... will be a must for next year.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #5546133

VERY nice, Karen! Nice yard, too!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5546495

Thank you for the compliments. I do like them, too. I'd never grown them before this year.

Relatively speaking, our spring and early summer were cool and wet, whereas it's normally hot and dry. I think they were especially late to bloom due to the cool cloudy weather, as were many of my other annuals. The tithonia were pretty late starting to bloom, like the last week of July. No doubt they'd be earlier if started indoors under lights, or even in a more normal Cincinnati summer. I guess I'll find out next year.

Karen
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5595532

I love tithonia! They are grown every year in my garden.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
11:51 AM

Post #5597042

I grew them for the first time this year - I love the silky feel of the stems . . . but they are way too tall for the terrace and no room in my yard . . . sigh . . .
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5597157

Seandor: There is a smaller one- Fiesta Del Sol
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55104/

Karen
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5598021

Perfect!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #5598320

There you go. You're in business.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5607839

kqcrna- pretty cool plants you got. I like the row effect you have them in.

rebecca30
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5784747

I did winter sow some of mine but the cold temps of April killed them. I had to start all over and didn't plant enough. This one and some zinnia I'll start inside so hopefully I'll have an early bloom time. The ones I had to start over didn't start to bloom until late August if memory serves me, but they really are putting on a show now. Even the cooler night temps haven't phased the mature plants. Karen, your row of Tithonia is just goreous. You've just given me a great idea for a barren spot near my fishing pond.

Deborah
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5784895

Deborah: Most of mine were wintersown I guess, but some were direct sown, and they did well too. The wintersown ones were used to fill in gaps where the direct sown ones didn't come up. In your nice warm zone, couldn't you direct sow them? I'd think they'd do well that way in Ga, much better than Ohio!

Karen
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #5784919

Well, you've got a good point there. I just may do both. I would like a thick row like your picture. I guess the containers being above ground is the reason I lost my winter sown ones. The soil in the container heated up enough during the warmer days but when we got those few days of very low temps, that did them in. The ground would take longer to heat up for germination, so I'll direct sow and sow some in doors. Thanks for that suggestion.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5811864

Cordeledawg, for things that are more frost tender, like Tithonia, I wait till March or April to wintersow and they do fine. I heard others talk about having them sprout too early otherwise and get zapped by cold temps.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5811985

That's what I need to do too. Zinnia too I suppose.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5812870

I do zinnias and regular sunflowers at that time too.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6656302

Hi, again, thithonia lovers!

I was googling for info on germinaition of Tithonia/Mex. sunflowers and Karen's fantastic row of tithonia photo came up so I reviewed this thread.

... Maybe some of you can please help me...

Do you think it's too late to start Tithonia from seed here in Ohio?? Zone 6a.

I started a few seeds a month ago and the little plantlings were eaten by some animal. Now I am dying to have some of these for my butterfly garden in September and wondered if I will have to resort to paying for nursery plants (if I can find them, and tithonia are not easy to find, as you know) or if I can still get them into bloom begininning at this late date?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks. t.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6656474

I don't know, t, but my husband direct sowed some seeds within the past week. After that, those monsoon rains came so I'm afraid the seeds washed down that big hill. I'll probably see them in my neighbor's yard, at the bottom of that hill. (same spot as last year).

But you're right, I never see them in nurseries.

Karen
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #6657546

According to Tom Clothier - germination in 7-10 days - http://tomclothier.hort.net/page07.html
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6660098

Thanks, Karen.

I will be curious to hear how yours grown along this summer.

And I will direct sow a few and see what happens.

If you see them in a nursery around Cincy will you let me know? I went to four Saturday, but didn't see any, but it's a little early.

Yes, I looked up Tom's info, but I didn't find any 'days to bloom' info. I guess that's the info I was really lasking for but didn't. (-:

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6661376

tabasco According to Johnny's Seed, days to bloom = 100 to 120 days. And looking back to my original post in this thread, it was early Sept. before mine really peaked last year. Those were sown earlier, though I don't remember when. My hope is that this late in the season, more heat will mean faster growth. I do find that to be true on a lot of annuals.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=58&subcategory=132&item=1320

Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6665098

Oh, thanks for finding that info, Karen. I'll have to remember that Johnny's puts 'days to bloom' on their website.

I I planted some Torch tithonias last night and then found some Fiesta del Sol tithonia seeds and they are shorter so I'm hoping they will be quicker to bloom.

I'm planting a butterfly garden for my little nieces who moved here from Cooperstown NY this year. So I think tithonia are a must for them. They have a very sunny yard and the Tithonias should do well. Also found some short regular sunflowers to plant too. Now what else?? Milkweed maybe. I am taking cuttings of some of the Milkweed in our garden and hoping that will work for them.

I was so foolish not to do this earlier in the springtime, but I was busy getting them settled this year in Cincinnati and didn't have time for much seed sowing.

And Karen, we missed you at the RU on Saturday. I wish you would find time to come next year. It's such a nice event/picnic/plant trade. And we need a few more folks like you to make it really special.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6667720

tabasco, I'm thinking it was about this time or later that I planted my wintersown Tithonias last year, and they grew and matured quickly. I think you'll still have a good display this summer- seems they wait till weather is warm to really start growing anyway. I wintersowed them again this year and will be planting them out today. I'd hoped to get an earlier start with them this year, but the seedlings have grown very slowly and are still pretty small, with a couple of sets of true leaves. Odd to me because last year they grew to the top of the milk jug quickly and were a little spindly. I'm wondering if its due to being from saved seed this year, or a new potting soil I tried?
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6670337

Good to hear that. I wonder about the saved seed from the hybrids like Torch and Fiesta, too. I tried to grow saved seed last year and had basically crop failure. Although I think I might have a few volunteers coming up in the garden this spring, but it's hard to identify correctly what's in the garden right now. Probably weeds, you know how that is!
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6671663

I tried wintersowing the Mexican sunflower seeds that someone so kindly sent me but didn't have any luck. They did not germinate. I was really bummed!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6672298

tabasco: I don't know what I could have to offer to the RU. But what a nice thing to say anyway.

With all the rain yesterday (1.3" in my rain gauge), some of those direct sown tithonias sprouted. At least I think they might be tithonia. Of course I don't remember what the seedlings looked like last year. I suspect most of the seeds were washed down the hill. So even when they grow they won't form a hedge, but maybe I'll get a few plants.

It's raining like crazy again now. Enough already!

The seeds were harvested from my plants last year.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6672568

bobyrd -- mine did not either.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6672759

Terese, did you sow some from the Piggy swap? They may have been some of those I sent. Fewer germinated for me than I expected, as well as being weak growers. Its sounding like seeds from hybrids are duds.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6672912

Neal -- I'd have to check... i think i have that data on my spreadsheet...

i am trying so hard to get out the door... heading back North today... wanted to be gone at 9am... whoops that aint gonna happen ... i'm sticking plant tags in the ground, want to dig up a few to take with [may go to the UMW RU on Saturday] and in the drizzle none the less...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6672922

...just checked... looks like the seeds were from the 2007 swap from Suzy.
container #19 ... gonna go recheck for germination...

..nope, nothing... i'll try again next year. I still have more seeds... and i'm really out of room for plants... though i was out throwing seeds yesterday.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 9:20 AM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6678690

The tithonia 'Fiesta del sol' that I planted in a plastic veggie container and set outside a couple of days ago have germinated!

So have my Benary's Giant zinnias!

I'm feeling very fertile!

It's like a rain forest here. Everything is growing by leaps and bounds and our hummingbirds are going crazy! Fun time in the garden.
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6680639

Lucky you with the rain. We haven't had any rain here in the Houston area for awhile and things are actually starting to look brown which is pretty unusual for here.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6681676

An interesting find in the garden yesterday- 3 Tithonia volunteers! They're much bigger than those I wintersowed, which are now planted near them, but still the volunteers are only about 4" tall ( the WS shrimps were only 2" max). This gives me the impression we're not too late getting them planted- that makes me happy as they were among my top butterfly and hummer attractors last year :-)
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6683489

gem, that's good news!

Can you tell me what the leaves look like? I looked on line for pictures of the seedlings and couldn't find one.

I found one of a mature plant's leaf and they were kind of trefoil shaped.

(Spent the day weeding again, and no doubt unknowingly pulled out all of my tith volunteers!)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6685205

I'll try to get a pic of them today. It was the true leaves I noticed on these self set plants, trefoil shaped as you said, and looking very similar to giant ragweed, only with velvety soft hairs rather than the course ones on ragweed.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6685363

There is a seedling photo in plantfiles
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/228571/

Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6687252

Oh thanks, k. and gem., the baby leaves in the pic look a little nondescript and no sign of a trefoil effect. Didn't see that plant file pic the first time so thanks very much.

Now must run outside and see if there are any left in the garden (after my mad weeding rampage this past week.)

Raining again. We need some SUN!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6702247

Here's one of the volunteer seedlings I found. I think it's Tithonia, sure hope it is, LOL.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
10:11 AM

Post #6704382

Thanks, neal,

That particular one looks like a few I've got here and I thought maybe 'tithonia'. Although I became concerned when I didn't see the three part leaf. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I started a pot of Fiesta Del Sol's but their true leaves haven't quite emerged yet. They are the dwarf ones so I don't know if they have the same leaf as Torch or not.

I bet your garden is going gangbusters these days. Ours is just about ready to 'pop' with lots of color, but not quite yet.

Looks like a good gardening day today! t.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6704427

Looks like it Neal.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6704457

So many blooms I can't keep up with them! I'm loving this growing season :-)

I remember the Tithonia leaves taking on the trefoil look as the plants became more mature last year. I'm hoping they replace the orange Lily blooms in late summer here where I use salsa colors.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6705874

Woo! You've got a fun garden going there, neal!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6709672

Thanks, Judy! This is the 3rd year for my gardening here and I'm loving the mature look :-) I've started a thread in the Cottage Gardening forum of garden shots you may enjoy:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004266/
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #6714139

Very pretty!

Karen
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6718062

Karen, did you notice the green eyed Rudbeckias? Those are from seed you sent me :-)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6718094

Yes, I did notice. Do you like them? They're still my favorite ruds.

Karen
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6718281

LOVE them! My first successful Ruds, and the green eyes are my favorite!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6718442

I'm so glad. They're definitely my favorites, too, especially the doubles. And if you harvest some seeds from them and wintersow those, chances are the offspring might be similar but just a little different. That's how my double ones showed up- just cross pollinated mutants.

Rudbeckias wintersow so well for me, it's one I would never even try indoors.

Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6719698

I love those rudbeckias too. I think the ones I have are mostly 'Prairie Suns' with a couple of 'Green Eyes' too. I will have to try again to wintersow them. I may have a few home-grown, but most of mine are from the end of season sale tables in the past few years.

I checked into your garden thread and thoroughly loved the photos. I'm going to take some decent pics of our June border and add to the thread tomorrow. (Maybe something more will break into bloom overnight. I hope so, it's too green around here!).

kqcrna, I can't believe how much further ahead your garden is from ours here on this side of town.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #6721950

I don't know what made the difference, but last year I wintersowed Ruds and they stayed quite small and just produced a couple of blooms the first year, while those I wintersowed this year grew quickly and are big, bushy plants full of buds.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America