Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: New Bloomers!

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 27, Views: 282
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5533836

I swear, waiting for a hedy to bloom is like waiting for a pot of water to boil. I've got 6 new first time bloomers this yr. Some of the plants I have had as long as 5 yrs. I've had to move some around to get the correct amount of light and some were dug up by squirrels and armadillos, setting them back.
First is Peach Delight.

Thumbnail by TickiSox
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5533846

Dr. Moy.

Thumbnail by TickiSox

TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5533859

A not so hot pic of Anne Bishop.

Thumbnail by TickiSox

TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5533876

Oto Himi

Thumbnail by TickiSox

TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5533895

Kinkaku

Thumbnail by TickiSox

Sandra_D
Minneapolis, MN

September 10, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5533897

Gorgeous.
TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5533914

Daniel Weeks

Thumbnail by TickiSox

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5534184

hiya ticki. the gingers that I got from you are doing so great. They haven't bloomed yet but I think I saw a bud this am. They are staying short which was my primary interest.

I got Dr Moy from a friend and I'm not too impressed with it but I should probably give it time--it's only 1 yr old. Yours looks great as do the others.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2008
5:59 AM

Post #5537231

Those are beautiful. How much sun do they need and what kind of winter temps do you get? I love those blossoms.
TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2008
9:18 AM

Post #5541850

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Katie I have noticed that the more sun I give hedys, the better they bloom. It very seldom dips into the teens in my part of Alabama, so I would say 20s for winter lows. They always come back easily the next spring, without mulching them or giving them any kind of protection during the winter.
Vossner I'm glad your plants are doing well, that was the best feedback I had ever gotten on the LA!
Kabby

This message was edited Sep 12, 2008 4:19 AM
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5543072

Huh. So that would be doable here. Might have to lift them, but still doable. Thanks!!
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

September 13, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5547493

Awesome pictures thanks for sharing
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5569323

I've got all those but the peach delight, 2 of them are new for me this year so no blooms and Ann bishop is a few years old and no blooms yet. but I did get my first dr. moy bloom on a 2 year old plant, I missed the photo though darn it.

I love growing them, and I always forget to go look for new blooms,

I got a few from aloha tropicals this year too.

Have you got any other new ones yet ?

TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5585340

Sorry it took so long to write back, computer glitches!
Kathy Ann what hasn't bloomed so far(as in ever) is Carnival, Dave Case, densiflorum 'Stephen,' Double Eagle, Gahili(has small inflo), Gold Flame, Hawaiia(sic{has inflo}) Kewense, Kia Yang, Lemon Sherbert, Luna Moth,(replacement plant) Pink Sparks(very tiny inflo), Tai Golden Goddess, Tai Savannah, and Tara.
I'm hoping these that have inflos will bloom before frost, sometimes towards the end of Oct.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5585864

oh girl, you've been visiting aloha tropicals haven't cha ? LOL me too. i won't see blooms on some of mine till next year. We need to do a trade again sometime LOL i got alot ofnew ones this year from aloha, and I lov hedychiums can't seem to grow the costas really well. they don't do well over wintering here. in the greenhouse.
TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5586577

Kathy Ann I wouldn't touch Aloha Tropicals again since I got burned the first time several yrs ago. The so called Beni Oran that I sent you a few yrs back was a mis ID and also my Tac Moto was a mis ID. They did send me the correct cannas I ordered.
I got Oto Himi from ebay and also Betty Ho. Had misgivings because I remember Aloha Tropicals had them and had never seen them offered anywhere else. Oto is correct and Betty won't bloom this yr.
Would love to spring trade, we'll swap lists. I'll only trade hedys that have bloomed true, I think that's the way to go!
Kabby
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5587100

Crud, what bad news, I hadn't realized that, I ordered twice from them, Will have to wait for blooms now. I guess the pictures of those gingers are correct on the web site ha? so I can go back and check the photos after mine bloom? I better wait then and let mine bloom out before trading them off. Glad you mentioned that to me.

I've been looking for betty ho for a while now. can hold off till later though.

Hope your doing well. Good talking with you
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5599193

Those are great gingers! I won't order from aloha tropicals either because I got 3 plants from them a few yrs ago and only one was what it was supposed to be and they never did replace them and didn't answer my emails, calls etc. Maybe they have gotten better by now , I don't know...check in the watchdog first.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #5599305

Gosh did I mess up or what LOL

I m headed to the watch dog to check them out, I had no idea they were this bad
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 26, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5602605

Hi guys, I just got my very first blooms last week! I am so excited! I don't really know which one this is, Tickisox, what do you think?

Also, what do you do when the bloom is done? Cut it off? Cut off the whole stem? or...?

Thumbnail by robcorreia

TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5604185

Hey robcorreia congrats on your blooms, it's like having a new baby. All those months of gestating are over LOL! I really can't get a good look at the color of your hedy with the bright sunlight. Pink, orange or orangeishpink? It's easier to say what a hedy isn't than to say what it is sometimes.
Once your hedy finishes blooming it will not bloom again, the inflorescence is finished and you might as well say that particular stalk is finished too. You don't have the freezing winters in San Diego to cut your gingers back like I do. I let the winter cut my canes back and they are easily removed in the spring, they pull off the rhizomes very easily. So you can either leave the canes alone or cut back when the blooming is through, it's a personal choice.
Kathy Ann so sorry about Aloha, I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news. What all have you ordered from them? The descriptions of the hedys and the pictures seem to go together but the plant you get may be entirely different. I went to the Watchdog after you mentioned it and checked on them. Ugh...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5604615

Yea I did to oLOL I've talked to a couple of folks that buy from them each year and they haven't been dissapointed yet, with the names being true to their names, now the sizes of the plants are a diff story, seems that is what alot of the bad feedback is over also. not getting plants, tiny plants, it may have been a fluke or just a once incident that your plants were mislabled.

I got alot of hedychiums and zingibers, and curcumas and several alpinias, I'll just hang on to them till they all bloom so I can compair bloom photos. maybe next year if i'm lucky LOL and they live through the winter.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 27, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5607118

Thank you Tickisox! That info is very useful! I'll take a better picture so perhaps we can id!
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5696575

Anyone know how successful pollenation would be on the hedy's?
Thanks Dave
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5696590

ticksox can you say which one this is

Thumbnail by Pughbear7

Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5700231

here is a close up. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7

TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5705825

Hey Dave sorry to have taken so long to answer. Mine hasn't bloomed but how about Dave Case? You can check a photo out at Dave Skinner's ginger website. Look at all those Daves LOL!
I have never tried to hybridize my hedys and I have had no seed except for the newly bloomed Kinkaku this yr. You'll see seed for sale advertised on ebay all the time so it is possible. Sorry I couldn't help in that regard.
Kabby
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5706693

Thak you for the help. I do a lot of "wingin it" with plants I love. I have another bud that has set and is posed to bloom in a week or so. Suposed to be brr chilly tonight low in the upper to mid 30's YUK. I will let you know how it goes and what I figuire out on the id
Dave

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America