Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Upper Midwest Gardening: Getting ready for winter.....

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
debee789
Brillion, WI

September 10, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5534222

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what everyone does with some of the more tender plants to get them through our wicked winters!!! I have a few cannas, elephant ears, lots of coleus and a rosemary plant I would like to save. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on what worked for them-it would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone had any luck keeping a sweet potatoe vine over the winter?

Thanks!
Debee
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5536341

I have lots (too many) tender plants I save! The cannas and ee's I dig and store in a cool place. You can start taking cuttings of the coleus now. They get awfully leggy if you try to keep the mother plant inside. I've never had any luck with rosemary. Sometime in late winter they succumb to some type of powdery mildew. I've never tried keeping a sweet potato so can't offer any insight on that one.
debee789
Brillion, WI

September 13, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5545305

Chatnoir-Thanks for the response -I hope you can help me with a few questions. Do you wait to dig up the ees and cannas until after a frost or do you just cut them back? Where do you store them? how cool? I have an unheated attached garage but it might be too cold. How about the fridge? How do you keep them from getting moldy? Thanks for your suggestions.
Debee
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5546281

Dig up the cannnas, trim off the green, but them in a box with some peat, and store in a cool place, like your basement. I think the garage would be too cold, unless it's an attached garage. Then it might be a good place to store them. I know my mom keeps her geraniums over winter in her attached garage.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 15, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5553244

I've had luck keeping rosemary in the basement. A friend of mine keeps hers on the kitchen counter.

My EE is in pots, so I moved them into the basement last year. Most of the leaves died back, but I just left it grow all winter.
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5558434

Debee,

I wait for the first light frost before digging the cannas and ee's for storage. I have both in pots, but they're way too big and heavy to store inside like that. I have to take them out. Warning though. My ee's are usually a 2 person job. They are so rooted I have to do a lot wrestling and manhandling to get them out. Always takes me way longer than I think! Got a soil knife for the job this year.

I don't have a garage or other storage-type place. So I have to make do with storing in a cool spot in the finished basement. Last year I tagged each canna and threw them in a box filled with newspaper shreds. Periodically over the winter I'd check on them and give them a spritz if they seemed in danger of drying out. The ee's gave me more trouble. I may just leave them in some dirt and let them dry for the duration.

I have a banana that I allow to go dormant. I start withholding water and move it into a dark cool spot. I keep it barely watered over winter. The leaves die back and it looks like heck by spring, but it comes back quickly once it gets outside. This also worked for some honeysuckle vines I was waiting to find a permanent home for.
debee789
Brillion, WI

October 2, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5626592

Thanks for the great ideas-I will give them a try. I was hoping to save as much as possible -I went a little (A LOT) overboard in the greenhouses this spring and spent way too much. Its easier to rationalize the cost if I can save the plants (or some of them) from year to year.

Debee
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 3, 2008
6:17 AM

Post #5628033

I have overwintered a rosemary plant for 3 years now.
I keep it in the sun and water very sparingly over winter.
Also it get a couple of haircut once it gets inside.
I have to say that it looks it's best when I take it in and
always looks miserable by the next spring.

I use clippings for making hair rinses - love the smell and
the effect on the hair.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2008 9:25 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America