Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Need help with info about lonicera honeysuckle seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 19, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

September 11, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5538155

I have just received some lonicera honeysuckle seeds in the mail. Some still have the skin on and some don't. Isn't it too late to plant them in Zone 5a? Should I plant them inside first? Do I have to chill them for a period? Some are still partially green, some are black and some are still in the "skin" or "pod".

These seeds were a gift from a wonderful person who was willing to send me some seeds when she saw that I loved honeysuckle.

Any help would be appreciated as I am kinda a newbie and need to figure what to do with these seeds. I don't think they store well? but am not sure.

Thanks in advance

Elaine and Otis
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #5606768

I would have thaught you would have heard from someone by now.I know they grow from seed, because you can happen upon them growing in the woods here in Ga.They are not as many as there use to be, because people will try to pull them up, and try to plant them in their yard,(in bloom). Mike
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

September 28, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5607391

Wow Mike! I had given up on this post completely. What a kicker to find your response. They really grow wild there?

I was lucky enough to have some seeds sent to me. They came from Calgary. I have started some in some organic starter in a covered starter kit. I still have some on the fridge that are still in the covering.

This is a first for me and for the very generous person that was kind enough to send me the seeds to see if I could get them to germinate. She inherited the honeysuckle with her house. It is a non-fragrant type but I am wondering if it just because it is in Calgary. I am such a newbie at this that I am up for any tips that anyone can provide.

Thanks for noticing my post and reminding me that it is still alive and kicking - okay - kind of limping along.

Hugs Elaine and Otis
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5607419

I know that they grow best in sun, they can take full sun.Good luck. Mike
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

September 28, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5607525

Thanks Mike. Any tips are appreciated. I have the perfect spot for it as long as I can get them to grow

With thanks

Hugs Elaine and Otis

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5654484

Hi Elaine! Just found this...I have a Dropmore scarlet honeysuckle and a Goldflame. Have noticed berries on the dropmore wonder if those are the seeds. Haven't noticed on the Goldflame course there is still a bloom on there. I wonder...Did you get it to germinate?
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 10, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5655090

Hi Cheri!

Not yet. I am watching them in the organic seed starter right now. No sprouts yet. Apparently some have seeds and some other kinds of honeysuckle should be started with roots from the mother plant.

I didn't plant all of them but don't think they will keep. I have a few that I am going to try shortly again but it doesn't look promising. I bet those "berries" are the seeds and that once they dry out of their casing, you can plant them. Keep me informed since honeysuckle is fascinating to me. If I don't have any luck, I may have to break down next year and buy an established plant :(

Hugs Elaine and Otis

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5655100

If the birds leave them alone long enough maybe they would be seeds but they never seem to on there long enough.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 10, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5655211

Cece - too bad. The birds are so hungry this time of year. I hope that there are some that they miss though!

Hugs Elaine and Otis
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5684630

I thought lonicera was the botanical name for all honeysuckles. What type do you have? I bet you're talking about one of the cultivars that is not invasive like our Lonicera japonica, which is banned in many states. Lonicera japonica has white flowers that turn yellow as they age. It is very fragrant. I used to grow the red flowered Lonicera. I don't remember the red being fragrant. If it is japonica that you seek, I might be able to help you out.
Laurel
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 18, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5686884

MaypopLaurel- Thanks for the response. I had kinda forgotten about this thread because it sat unanswered for so long.

I have started the seeds and one has sprouted (so far). Thanks for the offer of the seeds. It is very generous. I am going to see how these seeds do through the winter and hope to have them ready to transplant into the garden next May.

Thanks for reminding me that this thread is still alive.

Elaine and Otis
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #5687988

E&O, actually I was offering to send you as much as I could dig up of the white flowering, scented type if that's what you are looking for. Probably better to do it in the spring, but I'm game now. Let me know.
Laurel
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 19, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5688486

Hi Laurel!

I am sorry that I kinda misunderstood. I am in Canada so I can only have seeds sent. The plants need a certificate and it is darn near impossible to get anything here other than seeds. Do you have seeds? If you do, I will start them off in organic seed starter and then transfer them in the spring, if I can get them to germinate.

You can let me know. I am sorry that I am just discovering how much I love honeysuckle but don't know much about it. I am such a newbie but the more I learn, the more I realize that there is so much to learn.

With gratitude

Elaine and Otis
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5692539

E and O, It's probably late for seeds. I've only tried to figure out how to kill it, not how to grow it. :) I'll check it out and get back with you. I'm usually pretty compulsive in the memory dept. and if it takes until next year, I'll probably remember you and get back about seed.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 20, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5692737

Awesome Laurel!

That would be great. Gives me something to look forward to next year. This year has been very challenging with major back surgery in April and strict limitations all summer. Tomorrow I see the surgeon for a six month check and am hoping he says I can start bending, reaching and lift more than 5 pounds. My garden limped along with me all summer but I did have to do some deadheading. Thank goodness for perennials.

Thanks for keeping me in mind. The offer is very generous and very appreciated.

Hugs
Elaine and Otis
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

January 26, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6050781

I tried the indoor method and they didn't grow.:( Oh well. Lesson learned. I thought I should let y'all know since I have had some very supportive people cheering me on.

Hugs and Thanks

Elaine and Otis
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6050916

I'm DMing you.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

January 26, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6051019

Awesome. I started this post so long ago I thought it got lost in all the other threads.

Thank goodness you watched it!

Thank you so much.

I am getting excited. This has been a great day since I connected with a very generous person who is willing to share seeds with me for WSing!

Hugs

Elaine and the loyal but naughty Otis
islandgirlromy
Everett, WA

September 13, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8806835

It is recommended that you stratify the dry seeds. They are gathered by gently smooshing the berry with your fingers, the little white seeds can dry on a paper towel. It may take 24 hours or so. Then you place them on a damp paper towel in a ziploc bag in your fridge, keeping them moist through the next 2 to 3 months. You can then germinate them in fertile moist soil in a greenhouse or indoors I guess if you wanted to try, they need from 5 to 8 hours of sun. I have rooted them from cuttings also but it is not that easy ti guess...:) I shared cuttings and other folks had some trouble rooting them. I then shared all my babies with roots.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

September 13, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8807048

Thanks so much for your wonderful information and advice. I always wondered where the seeds are. I have dried tomato seeds on paper towel that way except one has to get rid of the pulp on the towel. They don't need stratification either.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart and can't wait to try this method. Yeehaw! I can envision honeysuckle in a few more sunny spots.

Many thanks
Elaine and Otis

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America