Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Eggplant: Growing Basics and Benefits: No fruit!

Communities > Forums > Article: Eggplant: Growing Basics and Benefits
bookmark
Forum: Article: Eggplant: Growing Basics and BenefitsReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jaynev
Carrollton, TX

September 11, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5538601

We have a very small area and have only 1eggplant plant. It is next to basil and rosemary. It has tons of flowers, but no fruit. Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried brushing the flowers with a feather. Still no fruit. Do I need more than 1 plant?
Jayne
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5539339

Jayne, the flowers should eventually drop off and have a fruit producing underneath, like how a tomato or pepper does. What is happening to the flowers after they fade? Is the entire flower dropping off with the bud and stem attached?

It may be that it's just been too darned hot around DFW lately for the fruit to set. The recent cooler temperatures should help with that - most of my nightshade veggies are just now producing fruit again after a long lull.

You might also try adding a potassium-rich fertilizer while the plant is flowering - this helps with fruit development.
jaynev
Carrollton, TX

September 12, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5543901

The flowers just seem to dry up.
I'll try a different fertilizer after the hurricane goes away.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Eggplant: Growing Basics and Benefits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article doccat5 8 Apr 10, 2008 3:05 AM
Eggplant Question Keldra 1 May 6, 2009 5:08 PM
Another eggplant question caribouchick 4 Aug 4, 2009 5:13 PM
eggplant eden Caedi25 2 Mar 12, 2010 10:03 PM
Kudos kitters 0 Apr 23, 2011 8:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America