too big green beans, what do do?

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi, we had several days of rain and I wasn't able to pick green beans. Some went from tiny babies to great big with the beans inside. It is my first year of green beans so I don't know if they are still edible, I normally pick them when they are still skinny. They are blue lake climbers. Advice welcome and thank you!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

When mine get a day or so too big, I cut them up on the diagonal.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You could leave some to dry on the vine, providing seeds for next year.

Thanks LTilton and darius, I'll have to leave a few, and I'll cut them up, maybe for soup.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's what I do with ones that are a little large and getting a bit tough... cut them up and use them for soup. They work fine in the recipe I put in my "snap green beans" article. Just simmer the beans until they start to get tender, then drop in the dumplings. :-)

Thanks critter!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

You certainly can't take your eye off the beans for even a day!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

One more thing... if you snap them and they look sort of white and fibrous inside, they may have gotten to the point where you can simmer all you want, they're not going to get tender...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

It's exactly because I turned my back on mine (Ky Wonder pole beans) that I will end up with maybe 2 quarts of shelled, dried bean seeds to trade next year! I wonder how they might cook up once dried... anyone know?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Same is true of peas. Sweet one day, bitter the next.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

My mom makes "shelly beans" when hers has gone too long on the vine. She pops the pods just like a pea pod and removes the inner bean. It's a bit of work for a small pan of beans on the dinner table, but her and dad both think they're delish.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.