Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Pruning Palms: Pruning Canary Island Palm

Communities > Forums > Article: Pruning Palms
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pruning PalmsReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtodesert

September 11, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5539762

Hello everyone, I recently moved to NV from West Virginia. Planted Canary Island Date Palms in May ( 30 inch boxes) and so far so good,However, AFTER pruning my 2 larger canary palms, I have read so much about not pruning them. The branches (sorry not correct terminology) were still partially green, but the leaves were touching the gravel and hard to navigate around in yard. MY question concerns how it should look at the base of the tree after cutting. Keep cuts longer initially, or just keep cuts horizontal? I miss my flowerbeds in WV! My new focus is desert trees, shrubs,etc. I've grown plants and trees in soil all my life and now learning how to grow plants that have been planted only because an electric jackhammer made a hole to plant them.

suggested readings? How to people grow these flowers I see? I have drip irrigation and played around with the different nozzles and understand the concept. Besides being concerned about my butchered palm trees I need to see flowers and color eventually. I need direction, I enjoy gardening and would feel lost without watching plants grow!

I've read and own several "desert gardening" books, but don't think the authors have ever moved from one climate extreme to another. Thanks very much for any info, suggestions, and how to get my soil tested in Henderson, NV.

Happy Gardening!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5541151

Just use clean saws when you cut the fronds, and cut them as close to and as cleanly as possible to the trunk. It is best not to trim too far about horizontal, but even I trim my younger palms more severely as they are lethal if sticking into a pathway. As they get over my head, I will trim them more properly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pruning Palms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
great article! 1cros3nails4gvn 7 Feb 24, 2008 5:26 AM
palm info. karen_cajun 0 Feb 25, 2008 4:09 PM
travelers palm & white birds artisun 1 Sep 12, 2008 3:27 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America