Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Is it normal for

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 4, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5542481

Passifloras to wilt when transplanted? I dug one up that was outside to bring in for the winter and it has wilted terribly. I don't know if it will recover or not. I think it was P. edulis flavicarpa. I also have a ? P. maliformis that I need to dig up and am afraid I will kill it when I do. The winter will kill it also so I don't guess it matters if I kill it by digging it up.

Any way to prevent the wilting?
Maydreams27
Port Saint Lucie, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5543915

As long as you are digging far enough down and around the roots, it will be fine. You probably just shocked it. How about using a transplanting liquid which should help with shock.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5546210

Yes, I thought about that. I has been dug a week now and it is starting to perk back up. It lost several leaves but not as many as I thought it would. I have 2 more to dig up and I will use the transplant stuff on them to help with the shock. I think next year I will just grow them in pots and save all this shock to them.

Will it hurt to trim them back for the winter? P. coriacea just started blooming so I hated to cut it back to bring in.

This is my 1st year to worry about them so I will probably have lots of questions.
Maydreams27
Port Saint Lucie, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5585185

I am in the process of working on cutting mine back. They have gotten so big them are overtaking each other. I am going to cut them back so they are each maybe only 13-15 feet but then I don;t know. I figure, 1. they need to breathe again but then 2. if it gets cold in February, if they are full like this, they might keep each other warm. LOL
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5589480

Kinda hard to decide what is the right thing to do. Gardening seems to be trial and error sometimes.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America