my pigs

Concho, AZ

Hi All, does anyone know how to tell if my is going to give birth shes moving slow and not hungry?

Thumbnail by carmensmtdesign
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Is she hiding behind the flag pole ?

When a pig is getting close, she will build a nest. Also milk will show on her nipples.

Bernie

Concho, AZ

she may have built a nest I"m new at this

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Very exciting. Keep us posted! My DH and I have considered breeding pigs. We actually bought 3 gilts and a male pig this past year but we decided to wait on the breeding. We want a better set-up. So I'm very interested in how your experience turns out. If you don't mind me picking your brain!!
Sue :)

Brunswick, GA

Do you know the day she was bred on? The rule is 3-3-3 (3 months 3 weeks 3 days) from breeding. She will have milk in her teats and if expressed it will be milky looking not clear or yellow (like urine) color. Also her temp will drop. Almost all mammals temps drop before giving birth, and most have some sort of nesting behaviors. A farrowing cate is a good idea if you want to cut down on the little ones getting squashed by mom. Some sows are pretty darn careless when they flop down.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Just saw this thread, and I want to add that they can and will get very mean and nasty after they've had their pigs. you've probably already found this out if your sow has had them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images