Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: What's growin' under your lights?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 17, Views: 334
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2001
12:52 PM

Post #1397

I thought it would be fun to hear what everyone has growing under their lights and on the window sills. I know it's still early here but I've got quite a few of the slower perennials started that I'm pretty excited about. This is my first year growing hosta & daylilies from seeds. I can't believe how easily the seeds germinated & I'm looking forward to seeing how these little babies turn out.

Some other first timers for me that I have growing already are hardy geraniums (a slew of different kinds), black berry & candy lilies, regal lily, pumilla lily, pulsatilla, heuchera, achillea clypeolata, brugmansia sanguinea, baptisia minor, callirhoe, pelargonium geraniums, passion flower, and lavender. I also have some iris seeds that germinated really easily from seed. I'm wondering if these are a tender species because they sprouted with out any cold treatment. My trader just called them native iris.

I have oodles of other seeds chilling in the fridge and out on my porch. I also went out last week and dug a pit in the snow to bury some flats. I'm really excited with all my traded seeds this year & I'm wondering where all these new seedling will go!! The last few years I've had a plant sale and I always have done a lot of planting just for that. This year I'm taking a break from the plant sale and growing just for myself.

Lets hear what you have growing? Anything you're excited about? Are you starting seeds for the first time? Anything shock you by jumping out of the soil way before its time?
dave

February 15, 2001
1:10 PM

Post #52154

Here's my list of what is growing so far:

Under the growlights:

1 Big bowl of all kinds of cacti.
1 bowl of verigated jade - leaves
Ice Plant cuttings
Regular Jade - leaves
Mystery succulent (jade/ice cross?) cuttings

Datura Bush (2 have germinated)
Datura Vine
Dwarf Teddy Bear Sunflowers (2" tall)
Cauliflower: Early Snowball (3" tall)
Federle (10" tall)
Iceberg (5" tall)
Tiny Tiger (3" tall)
Broccoli: Waltham (3" tall)

Kitchen counter:

Iceberg and Black Seeded Simpson (same pot)
Brugsmansia (Thanks SoCal!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Four O'Clock (2' tall and about to bloom!)
Giant Bucket O' Jade (stud plant)
Ice Plant (stud plant)
Nigella, Mulberry (Love-in-a-mist)
Philodendron (stud plant)
Verigated Jade (stud plant)

Trish has a LOT more stuff growing - mostly perennials
and some bulbs.

I'm excited about just about everything I'm growing. The cacti and succulents are particularly exciting for me, because this is the time of year for that activity and I can't sow all my tomatoes and peppers, etc just yet. I've been having a lot of fun watching a single jade leaf produce an entire new plant.

I'm also excited about my flowers - I've got nigella and four o'clocks growing on my window sill. They both have flower buds about to open!

Additionally, I'm doing lots of experiments on extra tomato seeds to see how they'll do best (different planting media) and the results have been fantastic. I have 33 day old Federle tomatoes who are enormous for their age.

Cuttings - both hardwood and softwood, are being rooted here. My new Brug from SoCal is taking off with new leaves any everything!

I could go on. My broccoli and cauliflower are doing really well, and the my iceberg lettuce plants are enormous - just barely fitting in their cells anymore. I'm hoping they'll be able to hold off until I plant them in the garden on Feb 23.

Dave
gardener_mick
Wentworth, SD
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2001
2:40 PM

Post #52183

So far I have echinacea and kiss me over the garden gate. I also planted the peonies that came too late for me to get in the ground. I cut them into two plants and stuck in pots. All have good roots going and half have shot up plants. So I got double my moneys worth. I have to repot before spring comes I'm sure, but they were guaranteed so I thought what the heck.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2001
3:00 PM

Post #52189

Hey gardener_mick! i'm interested in knowing if your Kiss Me Over the Gardeners Gate seeds are coming up. I know Tim was having some trouble with his germinating. Did you pre-chill them?
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2001
3:32 PM

Post #52195

I didn't pre-chill my kmogg, I'll try it again, but this time I'll give it a 2-4 wks chilling time.

I had these in the garage, but were transplanted a week or 2 ago.
zinnias - mixed giant cacta flowers, violet queen, cut & come again, orange profusion, dahlia flowers, and a few other varieties

cosmos- mixed sensation, kondike like, seashell, red piper, white sensation,orange

dahlias- mixed rainbow, and seeds received from Frieda
pansy
viola
bachelor's button
shasta daisy

Currently under lights:
passiflora vitifolia
p. incarnata
p. 'lavender lady'
p. 'belotti'
Chinese elm cuttings for bonsai
12 white plumeria cuttings
1 yellow plumeria cutting

chilling in fridge:
100 red/green Japanese maple (acer palmatum) seeds, some are germinating in the crisper bin!
50-60 trident maple seeds (acer buergarium)

Here is a shocker. I tried passiflora seeds the frist time last year, I treated the seeds differently. One group was scared and soaked in oj for 24 hrs before planting, and the other group was scared and soaked in h2o for 24 hrs, then planted.

oj group:
Three of 5 seeds in germinated within 2 wks and one germinated around the 4th week, lost 1 seed.

h2o grouP:
1 seed germinated 3 months after sowing, no news on the other 4 seeds. I planted all the seeds back in Oct. 2000.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2001
4:19 PM

Post #52202

Tim,
That's pretty cool about your passion flowers. I read the string on GW about it because I was having trouble with some that I planted. I tried the orange juice thing too and had excellent germination. I didn't chip the seeds ... I just soaked them in a warm spot until the orange juice got kind of yucky. Then I rinsed them and did the 'paper towel method' with them. Almost all of them have sprouted in just a week. These are just the regular 'Maypop' passion flowers. I haven't tried any of the fancy ones.

From what I've read about germination - some seeds (especially fruit seeds), need the fermenting fruit enzymes to break down the germination inhibitors in the seeds. If you think about ... in nature a passion fruit would just fall from the plant and rot on the surface of the soil - until it decomposed and left the seeds exposed to germinate. The same with tomatoes - they need to ferment in the fruit pulp before they'll germinate. Now ... out of curiosity ... I wonder if you could get passion flowers to germinate by fermenting in tomato pulp or tomato juice. They're both acidic. If I had a bunch of seeds to play with I'd try it out just for fun.

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2001
6:55 PM

Post #52248

You just wouldn't believe what I've got growing! (too many to list here) Babies under lights, babies on window sills, babies on shelves...LOL, I have been sowing seeds since December and thankfully it's starting to get warmer out...Within the next few weeks I'll turn the heat on in the green house and move everything out there, you'd think I live in a jungle at the moment, LOL. Everything sowed are perennial, and a few herbs, planning on sowing slowest growing annuals this week.

I have the kmogg poppysue sent me in a flat outside, has been out there for about a month. Those are probably the seeds I'm most excited about, can't wait to see them this summer!
gardener_mick
Wentworth, SD
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2001
7:46 PM

Post #52261

Poppysue, I got two little babies out of the kiss me over the garden fence. I stuck them out on my porch for 2 weeks where they froze solid. Brought them in and put them under lights and kept watered. I might try a little longer chill next time. I have some left over. They are a pretty reddish green. Can't wait. I am trying to wait a little longer as I can't put them out till middle of May, but it is sooooo hard. I am building a greenhouse and a growlight stand thanks to a couple really nice people here at Dave's giving me the plans so we'll see if I can just fill them up. Ha ha!
dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2001
3:05 AM

Post #52345

I am a newbie at starting seeds. All the seeds were received by very generous gardeners here at DG. I have painted daisy, virginia blue bells, ageratum, impatiens, mexican hat, painted tongue, nigella, digitalis, shasta daisy, campanula, feverfew, theres more but I can't remember all of them. I only have a couple of each one (not enough room) these are under the lights & about 1/2 have their 2nd set of leaves. I just sowed Scabiosa, flax, cleome, black berry lily, shoo fly?, balsan?, and a few others. I am very excited I haven't killed any yet (it's still early though) I am no familiar with the Shoo Fly & Balsan but will give it a try! I'm game for anything. My family thinks I have lost my mind to cabin fever, I check on my "babies" all the time. My kids probably think I love my new "babies" more than them :) (actually they are very interested in the whole process - will give them their own small garden space this spring to grow what they want) Julie

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2001
12:24 PM

Post #52371

Diginbloom, you have a marvelous assortment, as does everybody on this list - what fun to share our delight in what's growing before our eyes!!!! The Balsam are very similar to impatiens. In fact, I think all the modern impatien varieties, except the New Guinea type, are hybrids of the Balsam family. (And MY family thinks the same thing about me and my "baby plants" - and they really think I'm nuts to go out and turn the compost heap in the dead of winter, when I can't be cajoled outside for hardly anything else...)

I didn't think I'd be able to wait until mid-February to get all these started, but I did. As of last night, I have in a cool room on a heat mat:
*Stachys macrantha 'Superba' (has anyone else grown this? It's different from the stachys byzantina/"lamb's ears" that I'm also growing...)
*Verbena bonariensis
*Digitalis mortenensis "Strawberry foxglove"
*Filipendula hexapetala "Meadowsweet"
*Astilbe chinensis 'Pumila'
*Echinacea purpurea 'Magnus' (a new variety of purple coneflower)
*Veronica 'Blue Charm' ("Speedwell")

And as soon as the rain lets up this morning, I'll go get more flats and sterile mix, and get the Prunella (Self-Heal); Hesperis (Dame's Rocket); Balsam Camellia; Tomatoes, Verbascum 'Southern Charm' and Eupatorium ("Joy Pye Weed")all started.

A few things have already sprouted and are under the lights:
*Astilbe arendsii
*Bergenia cordifolia "Pigsqueak" (I love that nickname!)
*Oakleaf hydrangea (this was a test to make sure the seeds were viable since I was sending some in a trade)

In other cool spots, I have Chelone (pink "Turtlehead") divisions and Agapanthus ("Lily of the Nile") bulbs, from two very generous gardeners.

And in the freezer for a few more weeks is Dicentra...

Oh, I love the anticipation of spring, especially when new beds are waiting for plants!
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2001
4:22 PM

Post #52416

I've got tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and lots of different flowers growing under lights.

Tim, I've been wanting to try plumeria. Is it easy to grow?

Pete2
Nepthys
Kennedy, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 16, 2001
6:07 PM

Post #52439

Wowzers! I'm so amazed at your list karma! Where do you sleep? hehehe, and when!

I know one of those baby brugs are mine! Yippee! I can't wait til it's old enough for me to adopt!

- Amanda
PeavyBrownberry
Provo, UT
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2001
2:19 AM

Post #52515

This year is the first that I have an indoor hot bed in which to start seedlings, I just finished it tonight. It has a heat cable burried in an inch of sand and about 5 inches of potting soil. It's like having an one of the garden beds in the house, It's really cool. I am mostly a vegetable grower but do have a lot of flower seeds to plant this year as I have a lot of flower beds around the house.
Tonight I planted Leeks and Onions to flats and will direct seed in the seed starting bed brocoli, Colrabi, several different herbs,and Johnie Jump Ups. My grow light set up is a three tiered set up, so when the plants are transplanted from the bottom (hot bed) they will move up the ladder to the upper levels and then out to the(yet to be made)hoop house in the garden.

Peavey
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2001
4:39 AM

Post #52545

Karma, you sure are getting a start on the passiflorias! I can only do 6 or 7 cuttings at a time and you have 3 flats of them! Right now is a perfect time for me to take cuttings of p. 'lavender lady' and p. 'belotii', there are so many strong suckers on then, but in 3 weeks I will not be around for 10 days to look after them.

I need to contact Elizabeth to setup a trade of my 5 gl p. vitifolia for a few of her passifloras.

I think I'll have to go plants shopping at Karma's home when I visit my sis in WA.

Pete2 -- I'm not sure, this is my first attempt to root and grow plumeria. My older sis mil gave me 2 cuttings about 40" each. I chopped each to 6 cuttings and planted them back in Dec. I was told that cuttings may root in 90 days. I'll keep everyone up to date on them, when they rooted I'll offer them for trade.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

February 17, 2001
8:30 PM

Post #52640

Tim, do come up for a visit, Karmas house and garden is spectacular - actually words fail me...She got me started on the Brugmansia kick, and has a couple she is rooting for me, but I couldnt just go with those, so have been trading for them also. have several on the kitchen window sill, and a handfull in my son's room (he is away at college - so his room is my temporary nursery)
Poppy sue, your kiss me over the garden gates have germinated, sprouted and are about 2 inches tall - now I dont know what to do with them, they are on the kitchen counter, in a mini greenhouse, I put them outside for about a week, then brought them in and oh my land!!! they are something else, every single one has germinated and doing great. shall I take them outside yet or do they need to stay inside? the cat is eyeing them...(sue, if you read about the germinating passionflowers on GW you may have read my woes with my cat eating everything...not once, but twice)
My dining room table is covered with flats of daturas, painted daisies, gerberas, 4 o'clocks, gazanias and who knows what else. In my bathtub (we have a separate shower) I usually start things that I absolutely do not want the cat to get into. I put a plywood on top of the tub and then fill with flats..

I am still chomping at the bit to get going in the garden.
Poppysue, also, I forgot to mention that your poppies are coming up quite nicely, I hate to thin them, I know I must, I go into your web page weekly and oogle your poppies, and I understand the need for thinning, but it is very difficult... can I transplant the ones that I have thinned?? or are they a lost cause?

I want a greenhouse!!!!! I need a greenhouse!!!!!
where is spring?? maybe I just need to live in a warmer climate. Karma thinks she is living in florida, she has so many tropicals, I dont know how her family puts up with all the plants she brings indoors - I take over the bath tub and dining room table and I hear about it all day long:(

well, that's it with what I am growing

cheers and happy gardening.

Pebble

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America