Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Ornamental Onions Part 2 - the Fall Planted/Spring Blooming Types: Beautiful!

Communities > Forums > Article: Ornamental Onions Part 2 - the Fall Planted/Spring Blooming Types
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ornamental Onions Part 2 - the Fall Planted/Spring Blooming TypesReplies: 8, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
5:05 AM

Post #5545587

Wow, I didn't know there were so many varieties! I had one on my wish list, now I'll add some of these--thanks! Deer-resistant is a must in these woods. Any idea if tulips would be protected if I surround them with these?
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5546915

Very nice. I have been admiring these for a while... now it's a "must get" for next year. So many different varieties and gorgeous color.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5547702

thanks Todd. Very nice article.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5547832

Nice article. I have 3 or 4 of the taller ones with lavender blooms. The seed heads are rather attractive and I'm letting the seeds drop so that hopefully thiey will multiply. Or will they do that? I also have something that looks a lot like the white one in the second set of pictures. Tho it wasn't called an allium when I got it. I have a page I downloaded about it. I need to get it dug this fall as it isn't hardy here. I learned the hard way. I dug one, didn't dig the other one. I lost the undug one.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5548112

It takes several years for the large ones to reach blooming size from seed. They multiply faster by bulblets. The smaller ones, however, multiply nicely by seeds.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5549208

Todd,

Love them, love them, love them. I have caeruleum, oreophyllum, christophii (why are they so expensive when they multiply like mad?), ramosum, sphaerocephalon, and atropurpureum. The latter is funny, because I put them in three different falls and they did not come back. So I gave up. But three years after I quit they appeared this spring - I imagine they took that long to grow from seed. The same thing happened with oreophyllum. I put in 100 and they seemed to decline sharply, and again this year they reappeared in large clumps all over the yard.

What a treat! Thank you for the article and the wonderful pictures.

Donna

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5550904

Donna - you give me hope for my caeruleum. I put in a hundred two years ago but they
seemed to mostly fade after the first year... just a handful came back. Do you suppose they
might stage a come back?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5551010

Tammy,

Absolutely. I put in perhaps a dozen caeruleum about 4 years ago, and they seeded (did you avoid deadheading all of them?) and now they are everywhere. I thought my christophii were gone - I now have at least 300 (I give them away). I was stunned this spring by several. They take, I think, 2-3 years to grow from seed. They are hiding from you as little bulbs and them - boom!

I think you have an excellent chance of being very pleasantly surprised.

Donna

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5551028

That's very exciting. Nope ... didn't deadhead. So I'll have my fingers crossed for a return.
I have a problem with some weedy allium growing in my grass and beds so I do pull a lot
of allium seedlings. I'll let them flower in the beds where I had the caeruleum.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ornamental Onions Part 2 - the Fall Planted/Spring Blooming Types Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
chives (blooming now) sghatdaves 1 Sep 15, 2008 3:13 PM
Edible? JenT 1 May 23, 2010 4:11 PM
Allium seeds fredgeorge 1 Aug 29, 2010 4:00 PM
Thanks CLScott 0 Aug 4, 2012 6:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America