Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: IKE Check-In, please let us know!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 87, Views: 1,768
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5546686

Please post here who is okay, who you have heard from EVEN if it's posted in the TX forum (which lots of us elsewhere don't read). Also, many of us are prepared to help if it is needed.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5546692

vossner (nery) is ok.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5546725

Thanks, Debi... Ric said Marylyn_TX is ok, no power. Here's the TX Forum check-in thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902550/

Check-in will be s l o w, with so many power outages and Ike still churning.
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5546728

I'm evacuated, but waiting on home updates. Shouldn't be any issue, except that it's an older mobile home, and there are plenty of trees in the yard.

Will edit when I have a better idea.

EDIT : All is well. Just got a phone call from a friend that drove to the house, went inside, looked around. He also fed the stray kitten that has been living underneath. Horse fenceline is good as well.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2008 10:53 AM

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5546735

MarilynTx is O.K. also.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5546749

i just on the weather channel that new iberia is flooded out. is that mini-schnuz or redrose or both? anybody checking on louisianna people?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5546789

Mini was posting often up until late last night. I think she and redrose are still friends but rr wasn't mentioned in mini's posts.

Dave used to do some wonderful maps for us, with an ID pin for each subscriber's location. Made it easy to see who was where...

This message was edited Sep 13, 2008 11:57 AM
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5546804

Anyone heard from Dave????

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5546814

there are five members in new iberia. http://davesgarden.com/community/memberlist/viewby.php?showonlysubbers=1&area=state&arg1=la&sort=country&o=asc&offset=80
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5546818

UniQueTreasures and maidentheshade have left Beaumont & evacuated to San Antonio http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5545036

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5546820

I just sent him a dmail. He was in the path too, although inland quite a bit.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5546827

dave is in Jacsonville, they are expecting heavy rains and high winds anytime now, as re Lorraine R, catlady, Cocoa-lulu, Ddetex, easttexyardboy, all the East Texas folks...Tornadoes could spawn from this end of the storm, so keep 'em all in prayer..

"eyes"
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5546831

I have dmailed him earlier but no response yet... I was thinking that since he host the forum from his home we would not be able to communicate... He told me once that the actuall servers were in Houston... (not that I trully understand the entire thing)...

thanks!

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5547061

I was in touch with greersfolly (Bonnie) in Katy, TX this morning at 9:30. She was OK then, but no electricity but she has a generator. Since then, the mayor said they shouldn't drink the water and I have been trying to get ahold of her again to tell her. No calls are going through now. :(

I will keep trying.

Susan
=^..^=
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5547140

Checking in from Sugar Land.

Lost power at 11:00 pm last night. It's a miracle it's on now...spotty. Worst of the worst hit here around 5:30 am. Looks like tornadoes hit the neighborhood. Roofs gone on an entire row of 12 houses. Lost most of the fence here and several trees but we are safe and okay. Very scary.

Praying for everyone else.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5547305

knolan, I'm so sorry...do you know if anyone was injured in those houses? Glad you're safe!
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5547319

There are casualties...but they're not releasing details as of yet...

"eyes"
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5547384

Up until yesterday San Antonio was told to expect strong wind and some rain. Thus far it is sunny, very warm and humid, a bit breezy. Would be nice to get some needed rain but I won't complain. My cousins in Rockwall and Dallas are getting rain. Haven't heard yet from the Tyler cousins...hope they're okay. Yuska

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5547392

Kristi, I'm praying that you and family and people there stay safe.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5547437

Thank you all for the pryers and wished.

As far as I know, everyone in those houses are safe. We've walked down several times and spoken to neighbors. Our guest room is open should anyone need to stay the night. I still can't believe we already have power. Kudos to our community planners.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5547505

In Northwest Houston, we made it through and even have power back!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5547577

I'm so glad all of you are safe. We are praying for those that have not checked in yet.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5547616

Anyone heard from brigidlilly in Lumberton?
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5547665

Waiting to hear from Saint in Houston---?araness

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5547667

any news of podster and cocoa_lulu? and i know melvatoo is near dallas, but still could have damage. where are you all?

This message was edited Sep 13, 2008 5:47 PM
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 13, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5547671

I have heard from Sandy - ilovejsus99 in Baytown. She says she is OK.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5547677

here's another checking in on another thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5547656
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5547680

I just went thru Ike--we just got power back on because we have underground
lines (house 15 yrs). Everyone and I mean everyone has major roof damage (on
homes less than 10 years--mine is 15yrs) and EVERYONE has fences down. Part
of my fence was built in April and its the only one in the neighborhood up.
My next door neighbors bedroom roof collapsed from water earlier this
morning. Those that did not board windows--there is a lot of broken windows.

And we were on the CLEAN side of the hurricane.
Debbie
N hwy 6, west Houston
merpeg
Midwest City, OK
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5547681

I just spoke with Beck5711 in Colemesneil (sp?). Her and Lyle are fine, storm door is gone and looks like a "war zone" but okay. They have a generator. Her mother in the nursing home is okay. The nursing home lost power about 2 hours, but had a generator.

Still prayers coming your way. Peg
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5547688

Saint is actually in Orange, close to Beaumont (unless, she has moved and I don't realize it). There is a good chance that she is without power. They were on the dirty side of the storm and I know that it is still raining pretty hard there, even if the wind has stopped (which I don't know for sure that it has). They were under a tornado watch earlier, but that may have expired. Anyway, just my 2 cents...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5547719

Major GOOD NEWS!
I just talked to ilovejesus99 in Baytown, TX.
Sandy ^8^ says she's OK!
LOTS of yard damage but her house appears to have weathered the storm in fine shape.
No power but her landline phone is working fine...

She says it's blazing hot and humid.
So hot her feet are sweating!
AND she's eaten so many Klondike bars she's sick...

If anyone whould like to call her DMail me please.
She said if she doesn't answer it's because it's too hot to run to the phone! LOL!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5547735

YAY!!! That is good news!
rntx22
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5547886

I'm on vacation in Montana so I am safe... don't know how my condo in clear lake fared. I live off nasa rd 1, on nassau bay. good thing my condo is elevated. my moms house in deer park is ok, some tree damage, roof shingles gone. my boyfriends house in la porte has a huge old oak tree uprooted and laying on it. My dad who lives off Todville in Seabrook tried to go to his house but they aren't letting anyone back yet. He says Nasa rd 1 under water. Kemah has a lot of destruction. I was supposed to be flying home today but all the flights are canceled. Got a new flight for tomorrow afternoon, but that was canceled also. Don't know when I'll be able to get home, just hanging out at the airport in Spokane until Hobby opens again.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #5547891

Hooray for Sandy and thanks for the laugh! We are generating so we could flush ~ 8 )) Power went out around 8:30 and lights out in town too. We have a large tree on the powerline on the highway and I am sure much more damage.

We just have a MESS! Think the roof is o.k. The trees that came down didn't hit building, road or powerline. I took a page from my cats book. Spent the day napping, reading and jumping at crashes.

Glad to see all that have reported in. Thoughts & prayers as IKE goes north. He has been a "bad boy"!!!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5548072

glad to see that you are safe and still laughing, podster!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5548292

I'm glad your safe, Podster! This was crazy, huh?

A man down the street from us left town and left his dog in the backyard. Had I known it before, I would have brought the dog down here. I cannot believe that poor thing was left out there to fend for himself. Not even a dog house.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5548317

Need to leave that guy out in the backyard! GRRRRrrrr!
Glad it was no worse than it was for you.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5548382

double grrrr...too much going on right now, but he needs to be reported.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5548469

Call in an animal cruelty complaint on that guy. The poor dog will probably have PTSD the rest of its life even if it isn't injured. You don't DO that to an animal!
Glad to hear everybody reporting in...safe and sound.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5548517

Whomever talked to Vossner--tell her the Louisiana Iris that she wanted to order on Sept 11 (Friday) are fine but that she needs to contact me thru my website. I'll be a bit too busy to check in here.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5548751

my dh talked to vossner this morning. i'll try and call her tomorrow. don't know if she has power right now or not. she may be too busy to even think about plants right now. depends on damage to her home and yard i would think. i'll do my best.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5548816

I have a daughter in Kilgore ETX. She managed to get a call through to us. Electricity is off there and some phone lines are down. Some trees are down also. She did,nt know when things would be back up.

We have'nt had any rain or wind here in Northern Arkansas. Be just as happy if Ike passes us by.
Prayers going out to all,
Vickie
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5548836

HSPCA has an online reporting form. I'm still so mad. That poor thing. It upsets me more than the damage.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5549080

Well she was very interested in the plants when she new the hurricane was bearing down on our location--just let her know she is welcome to visit the website.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5549093

The Tyler cousins reported in. High winds there and lots of trees down. One pine near the house wobbled a lot but is still standing. Rained most of the day and is still raining. Still waiting to hear from niece in Houston; a cousin there has trees down & power out but OK o/w.
kdm1000
Edelstein, IL

September 14, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5549227

We heard twice today from our Daughter & family in Houston on N. Blvd. near Rice U. They are with no power and cell ph only on occasion. No water pressure to speak of. They have major house damage from leaks and the yard is a mess with trees down etc. They are all o.k.tho and that is what counts.
Lyn
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5549228

Blessings that all are okay so far.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #5549336

It's nice to hear from so many of you and to see, so far, it's just property damage.

We got a Garden Recovery Thread up fairly early after Katrina.
To some this seemed a bit insensitive but hey...
All anyone wants is 'Normal' back... and for Gardeners... lol!

Be Safe and I hope you all keep getting Good News!
Ric
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 14, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5551125

I'm so sorry ... I didn't see this before? I've been in almost constant touch with Saint. They're ok. No power and spotty cell but did get to speak to her a minute again this morning before the cell faided out. I'm sorry I didn't check in earlier. Have talked to Book in TX and had a text from Marylyn also. I see that Kristi has checked in. Prayers going out to everyone!!
~Susan
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5551588

Has anyone heard from rjuddharrison?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5551745

Has anyone heard from rjuddharrison? I second that request. The last post I saw was in a closet.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5551814

I've left a voice mail fo him but our cell phones are spotty right now. Will let ya'll know as soon as I can get through.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5551930

Ceejaytown in The Woodlands, TX
I've heard from her daughter this morning.
They are OK. Lots of damage and cleanup to be faced though.

June
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5552152

Thinking of all of you!!!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5552298

Just talked to Randy. He's fine. Lost a lot of the garden and the back fence. He'll be back as soon as he can!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #5553197

my sis near Saint has returned to see that the house damage seems minimal [of course it is DARK now] they are setting up help for the Kountze area at the park service headquarters...

anyone heard from Brigidlily, Moodene, smedgelkles, jojoringer?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #5553205

Gymgirl checking in. Just came on line. Major tree damage, and the neighbor's tree is resting across our roof. Also, have one tree resting on a power line and one tree resting on our garage. And that's just the house I LIVE in. The other house I own has an aluminum roof, and the back third has shingles blown off. We picked up white aluminum shingles strewn all across the neighborhood today. But, no leaking inside, the tenants are truly happy, and I am TRULY BLESSED!!!

Our neighbors who might be left on Galveston Island need your prayers.

We still don't have power in Houston tonight. Cooked dinner by lamplight on a hotplate all run by generator power. Got gasoline from the corner filling station this evening. Running low on ice. Have enough provisions to last, but trying hard to save the frozen food in 3 freezers. We're alternating plugging them up to the generator. So far so good.

Luckily, I spent much time in the "country" growing up in New Orleans, so I'm accustomed to "roughing" it. I've been through hurricanes Betsy, Camile, and Rita. This is the strangest one I've experienced yet. Most of the damage was from wind -- there was very little rain accompanying this storm. And, most of the real damage occurred from the bottom side of the "eye", between 4:30 and 5:30 a.m. Saturday morning. I kept vigil in the den window until 4:00 a.m. watching all the pine trees in our yard sway backward and forward toward the house. All of a sudden it got really calm, and I (wrongly) assumed we had dodged the bullet. It was all over. So I went to bed around 4:30 and heard a gentle bump. That would be the neighbor's tree falling on our house...the rest would come later when all hell really broke loose!

When I woke up and looked in the yard, it looked like a bomb has exploded. We spent most of the day sawing tree limbs and hauling trash outside to add to the horizontal mountains growing on every lawn in our block. There are still major trees to be cut in our yard, and Centerpoint energy has to come cut down the ones resting on the same line in two different places...

There's been a run on the filling stations, but today I learned a hot tip for those of you need to fill gas cans for your generators. Here's what happened. I drove to the filling station with four (4) 5-gallon cans to fill up. There was a line from here to kingdom come. So we just took our place in line. Well, we noticed a man walking up the block to the gas station, and laughed about how he thought he was gonna cut the line, and get killed. Well, a few minutes later, that SAME man was walking back with his gas cans filled!

So, being neighborly, I yelled out to him and inquired how he got his gas so fast, and why was he still alive? Well, here's how it goes.

Most of the cars in the lines are paying by cash. So they pull up to the pump, get out and go STAND in yet another LONG line to pay cash for their gas. Meanwhile, the pump is just being blocked till they get out of the line to come use it, right? Sooooooooooooooo, you go park your car across the street, get your gas cans and WALK into the gas station. Then you walk up to a car with no driver (generally they'll leave someone inside the car while they're in line) and say (verrrrrrrrrry neighborly like), "excuse me, but is your husband, wife, spouse, girlfriend, cousin, brother, mother, significant other (or whatever) in line paying cash for gas? Yes? Well, I'm paying with a credit card. Would you mind if I just go ahead and fill up my GAS CANS while they're waiting in the line?

It took me 5 minutes to fill up those four cans...Just make sure your credit card WORKS, or you'll be embarassed...Be neighborly, smile nicely, and you should be able to leave with your cans and your life...

Now, if someone has a tip for getting Ice in less than 5 hours, I'd love to hear about it...

Luv Ya'll!

She's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2008
5:16 AM

Post #5553250

Just checking in.. not a whole lot of damage.. just shredded leaves and limbs everywhere, some downed trees. Power is out and heard it might be a month before it's restored! TG we have a camper, generator, and dh ran a phone cord to the camper..I am set!..lol
Here's a pic of my Mommas house. A tornado twisted the top of a huge tree.. some limbs on the roof, but hopefully not bad. Her house is maybe 150 yards from mine... kinda spooky being so close!
Still praying for everyone in Ikes path!

Thumbnail by beck5711
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2008
6:43 AM

Post #5553355

someone posted on the group swap forum that jojoringer is okay, she evacuated...not sure how her house faired :o(

also LorrianeR has checked in
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2008
6:56 AM

Post #5553372

AngL, thank you for the update.
dave

September 15, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5554281

We got power back yesterday afternoon and internet came back late this morning.

There was a tornado that obviously came through out neighborhood with hundreds (maybe thousands) of downed trees. We were outside when it came and it sounded just like you imagine it - a strong roar.

About 25% of our forest (50 acres) is down with massive rootballs. Here's a picture that I took yesterday evening (sorry it's blurry). The forest looks like a bulldozer ran through the whole place.

There's a lot of mess to clean up.

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5554304

dave: glad to hear you're OK, even if your trees aren't. Maybe a log cabin is in your future?
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 15, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5554381

It's great to see everyone checking in! Thoughts and prayers are still going out to everyone. Y'all stay safe ... Wish we could all help with the clean up.
~Susan
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5556030

Dave,
Glad to hear you and yours are safe.
Lots of work ahead it appears.
Connie
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5556062

So sorry to hear about the timber damage from the tornado. If it is pine and you are planning to harvest, it will need to be fast to get much value from it. We found that the hard way in the straightline winds that came thru here a few years back. Hardwoods? Hhmmmm... maybe a wood cookstove, fireplace, wood burning furnace. Looking at work like that can be overwhelming. Hang in there.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2008 5:39 PM
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 16, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #5556427

I talked to Bookworm_28 today. She has very spotty cell with no electric. They are doing okay and said they have been fortunate but there was a lot of damage in her area. She's counting her blessings and is such a positive and upbeat person, though. :)

I had another call from Saint and a text from Marylyn. I don't know how everyone manages to stay so positive. Everyone is without power and has spotty cell coverage. I'm such a baby and so spoiled. Not sure how I'd manage!

I'm sending prayers to everyone in TX and also to our friends in the Ohio River forum who were hit. I talked to Defoecat, and she's without power, also.

This thing has affected a lot of folks. Praying for everyone to come through safe!
~Susan

Edited to add that Defoe has posted and has power now. Sorry my info isn't correct.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2008 8:55 PM
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5556532

Anyone heard from folks in or have a status on the Lumberton area?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5556645

i am guessing no 0power, i have not heard back from birgidlily
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5556674

Thanks. I googled for news of the area with no result. I'm praying that the "silent" ones are all fine and waiting for the power to come back on.
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5557396

There is no power from the gulf to Lufkin.. after that I don't know. I do know Houston downtown has limited power, but since that is the medical center they have some kind of underground power.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #5557640

Thank you for the update Becky.
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2008
5:06 AM

Post #5557740

I guess I should have added I am on a generator!..lol.. I also failed to add that in Jasper I do know the electric co. somehow got lights for the nursing home there. It took my DH 5 hours yesterday to get gas and go to walmart in Jasper. Walmart was only letting about 10 people in at a time, and there were no "cold or frozen " items available. I heard.. but it may just be a rumor.. that it will be a month before we get power! Also as he was coming home on 190W, after crossing the Neches River.. 2 poloce were checking to make sure the drivers belonged in the area. My DH said several cars turned around.. makes you wonder about those people because 190 is the only way to travel, unless you want to take the back roads.. and I mean it would take a long time to go that way!

Here's hoping everyone is ok!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2008
10:42 AM

Post #5558004

Generators are a blessing and after Rita & Ike a necessity. Nacogdoches WMart is limiting shoppers too. The electricity is limited in this area also. Food supplies are limited in all groceries but at least gas is not as hard to find.

I've noticed folks on these threads asking for assistance and don't think outsiders will be allowed into the damaged areas. That may be why vehicles are being turned back. Folks might be trying to find family or assist with cleanup. They might well be legitimate. After Rita, a friend (wanting to deliver supplies to a family he knew in Orange) found a way to get thru the roadblocks. But they do have to be careful for the protection of all.

Glad we are enjoying a few cooler, drier nights...

Best wishes to all in the IKE zone!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5561485

After the terrible damage around Houston, Ike headed north at 50 mph.

Seven people were killed in Indiana from Ike! There were severe winds south of me and severe flooding to the north. It wasn't too bad in the middle where I am.

garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2008
5:56 AM

Post #5562100

Thank goodness you were in the middle and safe!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 17, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5563510

Amen! This storm has had looong arms. Take care, and thanks for checking in! :)
~Susan
Susie2
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5564919

Brazoria County was evacuated but my family stayed. I was far enough away from the water but the wind was so scary. I lost the power Friday night but was back on Saturday afternoon. I know that we were one of the lucky ones. I lost the shade cloth off on of my shade houses but the plants really weathered well. Lost several live oaks in the pasture and quite a few large limbs from the trees in the yard. No damage to the house though. A lot of the communities around us are still without power and no idea when it will be restored. My grandaughter and her fiance are staying with us until they can get the power restored in Jones Creek. Maybe this will be the last storm of the season.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5574977

Just got cable back (and land line phones with it) tonight. Our electricity was restored Tuesday afternoon, but too late to save the food in the fridge and freezers. We didn't have a generator, but we have one now! Seals on the windows on one side of the house were opened up by the wind and water sprayed in. Several trees down or leaning. The neighbor's huge weeping willow fell on our screened-in pool enclosure which sustained structural damage. It's a big mess!! Looks like a hurricane came through! (We used to say that, but now we know what it means!) Lots of plants wiped out, and still the surprise here and there as new blooms appear amid the debris - especially the rain lilies. Simply beautiful.

Every bit of this year's growth on my plumeria was snapped off. I have lots and lots of "cuttings" as a result. Does anyone want any? It is Slaughter Pink. D-mail me.

Many blessings here. It was bad, but it could have been so much worse.

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. They were appreciated very much!
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5575171

Ceejay, so glad to hear from you!

You brought me several things last April/ If you lost any of those, I'd love to divide them and send them back to you. Or anything else, for that matter.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5575656

Glad to know you are O.k. Ceejay, now i wish we could hear from Maggiemoo in Conroe.
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5576327

Glad to know ya'll are ok!! We got power back yesterday.. what a blessing! They were saying a month for us.. but it does look like it might be that long for some along the coast.. such devastation!
Still praying for everyone's safety!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5576436

CeeJay ~ glad to see you surface. Surely what doesn't kill us will make us stronger. Glad you are still able to count your blessings!

Also looking to hear from Brigidlily in Lumberton. I've heard Lumberton took a beating!
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5578850

I am so glad to keep hearing from all of you . Do we have anyone in the Galveston area? We are all still praying for all of you.

Debbie
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 21, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #5579017

Maggiemoo has checked in over on this TX forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902550/

~Susan
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5590066

I thought I had checked in earlier but it's entirely possible that I forgot to press "send". Anyway, we live in Katy and came thru like gangbusters from Ike. No damage, no fallen trees and we have a couple in our yard that are about 40 ft. or more tall (pines) and over the fences are several more and some oaks. No lines down. Little intermittent power failure, good flood on Sunday when we got 7" of rain just in time to keep us from getting to church. We lost only internet and land phone and why Comcast didn't get that up quicker, we can't figure. Only got the internet this morning and the phone this afternoon after DDH messed w/the cable "stuff". The downed limbs in our yard filled only 2 big bags and otherwise we really were fortunate. The neighborhood around us and those in the vacinity were a lot harder hit. We couldn't believe that our fences held! Television has been my savior this past week or so. There wasn't anything else to do, really. Stores were closed and eateries closed. We are so glad that so many of you came out so well and hope that that continues. One of our DDILs took the two grands and went to visit her mother in Pennsylvania so they could stay cool and have something to do. So that DS stayed here w/us at night, went to his house in Humble after work to feed their cats and them drove over here on the other side of town to eat and sleep. He's taking Wed. off to go to Dallas to pick them up at the airport and drive them back to Humble. He just called that they finally had electricity at his house and was staying at home tonight to clean up after the cats.
We again found out that a great way to meet your neighbors you haven't met yet is to "Howdy" to them while all of you are out in the front yard cleaning up. Quite a few of our neighbors are elderly like we are so we are out there a Looooooonnnnnnnggggg time.

Ann
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5592890

I'm A-OK! Lumberton took a hit but I was very blessed indeed. The garden is beaten but unbowed, as they say. The fence fell on the forsythia but she'll come back. No internet at home and the office was down until today.

Annie
KARLAE
Freeport, TX

September 26, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5601346

Just checking in. We came out smelling like a rose. Virtually no damage to the house, got power back Saturday morning (including satellite TV, after minor adjustments). We were under mandatory evacuation as of Wednesday and rode the storm out near Brazoria. Almost all of our Plumerias took a thrashing (like Ceejay, we have a lot of cuttings rooting now) and our Bougainvillea (which is above the fence and laying over our Koi pond cover) had like a dozen leaves left on it. Last week it got the major pruning it's needed for years (never could really see where the major limbs were, so we just let it bloom). Finally got power here at work a couple of days ago. Say, speaking of that, I guess I need to do some of the aforementioned "work". :) Talk to y'all later Jim
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 26, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #5601442

Glad to hear form you, Jim.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America