Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Upper Midwest Gardening: GAAAh . . . rain rain go away!

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5547417

Hi, it's been a while since I posted. Been out enjoying the last few weeks of summer I guess. Anyway, while I'm not going to complain too much about this downpour we're getting in northeastern IL (in light of Ike & all), I am concerned about the deluge drowning my new plantings. Is there anything I can do or do I just hope for the best? We've already gotten 5 inches in the last 24 hours and it's supposed to keep coming all night. This past week I put in two perennial geraniums, 3 monarda, a clematis, two astilbe & a coreopsis. Do you think they'll be damaged?
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #5547816

It's sure not planning to stop anytime soon!

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5549960

We're supposed to get more rain today. Ike's leftovers. Just planted a new bed of Daylilies on Thursday. I'm a little worried about them also. Nothing you can do about it, but hope for a sunny week ahead.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5550240

I overseeded the lawn, it was just starting to sprout. I think it depends on how quickly the standing water drains away.

They Say Chicago had a record high one day rainfall for 9/13
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5552255

Yes, 7 inches yesterday! Unbelievable. Fortunately the remnants of Ike moved through quickly . . . let's all hope for sun tomorrow!
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 15, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5552273

Moist but lets me reseed my yard, so I'm happy. And heck it lets them fill Lake Delton. How would you like your entire property washing away?
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5552409

duck . . . Yeah, where it's bad for some it's good for others! Just glad you all didn't get as much as we did . . . you sure didn't need any more flooding this year! We know for sure now that we need a new roof though. Ugh.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5552625

My rain gauge only goes up to 5 inches, I had to pour it out and start over.
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5552726

My garden club's annual garden walk was scheduled for Saturday and my garden was on the tour. Needless to say it was canceled! The only way they were going to walk my garden was in a canoe and waders!

midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5554509

Thank goodness the rain has finally stopped! There was almost 8" of rain in my area on Saturday, not to mention all the rain on Friday and Sunday. The rear half of my back yard flooded a few inches deep but had finally completely drained this morning. There's just grass with a few daylilies and cone flowers back there which are easy to replace, and hopefully my other plants will survive the drenching. I'm wondering how long it will take to dry out though, I need to mow the lawn back there eventually!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5554819

The water here is draining and soaking in at a pretty good rate, I'm happy to say.

My rain gauge hit just about 8 inches.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5558282

jcoakley and pastime - did your new plants survive the soaking?
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5558498

We're in a high spot but all the fields around us are under water and some of our road washed away. I left an empty 2 gal. bucket outside on Thursday and it's filled to the top. Looks like we got at least 10" of rain. My new daylily bed looks ok, soggy, but still there. I have another 30 or so to get in the ground. I hope the sun stays out so I can dig again. I also have more plants ordered, dah! I must stay away from the Lily Auction until spring. Route 64 in Sycamore was still closed yesterday evening. Those poor folks in the trailer court are flooded again and the golf course across the street is trashed. That's the second time in a year this has happened to them.

Diana
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5580277

I think they're all ok! I was extra worried about the astilbe b/c there is a lot of clay in that bed. But they're looking good and I think actually may have had a growth spurt after all that moisture. Now of course we aren't going to have any more rain for at least another week, so I've got to get the sprinkler going out there.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5589101

>>And heck it lets them fill Lake Delton. How would you like your entire property washing away?

I was actually in Wisc when this deluge of rain hit on the 13th.

DH ran home to deal with the house and much of our town was impassable due to water.

We really didnt get much rain at all in Wisc, it rained - but nothing like at home, and certainly not in the volume to refill that lake.

I was up there trying to take a peek at the work being done... they really dont let you into that area anymore off of A at the dam.

I'm thinking of having lunch at one of the establishments, then i can go for a walk out on the lake. [Either at Port Vista or Ravina Bay.]

But -- the lawn here at home has certainly grown since it was mowed last week ... that is one the agenda for today.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America