Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable: Funny Okra Story...

Communities > Forums > Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood VegetableReplies: 4, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lusarytole
Fairmont, WV

September 14, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5548971

Here at this house we fight over the okra in the garden, we all love it.
But you always have a few left at the end of the season that have gotten to big and tough to eat.
So back in the early 90's I told my father-in-law to save all of them for me to dry. I probably had around 100 or more. I dried them and painted them all to look like Santa. Put pins on the back of the small ones and put string to hang on the xmas tree on the larger ones... He of course laughed at me. I took them to a craft show and sold everyone of them for $3.00 each. Later that evening I took my $300.00 + dollars down to his house and held it in my hand to show him...
He said what is that??? and I said "OKRA".
He never made fun of me again...
I wish I had a picture to show you...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5550013

Two things that I dearly love are okra and Christmas. Since I'm pretty handy, and have the okra pods drying in the garden. This is a logical thing for me to do.

Thanks for the idea!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6945447

lusarytole, I may have a picture of at least something similar, I'll see if I can find it without unpacking all the Christmas stuff. I bought mint on SC, but they are just adorable. I am saving my "overgrown" okra with an eye to doing the same thing...
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6945557

What a fun thing to do. I am already letting a few pods go to seed to plant next year. As the season draws to a close, guess I'll have to let more of the pods mature for drying and painting.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6945579

I took some one year and carefully split them down the ridges. (where they open naturally) this gave me a several sided bizzare looking 'lily thing'. I spray painted them silver and incorporated them into my Christmas wreath on the front door.

I'll see if I can dig up a shot of it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Okra Lover Too! greenbrain 20 Jan 26, 2011 5:21 AM
Love okra, hate the slime gloria125 3 Jun 3, 2010 10:57 AM
northern okra Kathleen 1 Aug 5, 2008 4:40 PM
A Way to Tolerate Okra? darius 7 Jun 7, 2010 10:58 PM
Love Okra MitchF 0 Aug 5, 2008 4:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America