Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum): It makes me wish I had one!

Communities > Forums > Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum)Replies: 7, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

September 14, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5550732

Hi Sally,

Your article was captivating and I enjoyed every word. I love the thrill of performing detective work in the garden and Dave's is definitely one resource I most often rely on.

Wonderful read!

Will the plant files be updated with zone information, etc.?

What a great thing to provide home and shelter for the insects. This, to me is what gardening is all about.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5550913

Thanks so much BennysPlace. I can send you some flower heads when they dry, if you want. I *should* go back to the resources and try to fill in any more spots in Plantfiles, shouldn't I? Have to go make lunch right now.
Thanks for reading and replying to my article!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5552015

I too was delighted when fellow DGers helped me identified this plant that I've found in my perennial garden. A gift from birds/nature which is bugs/bees/butterflie most favorite:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5540490

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5552083

A very enjoyable article. Thanks for sharing. I too want to know the names of plants and critters I find on my walks and around our place. And yes, DG has been a great resource: so many generous spirited and helpful people.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5552125

I appreciate this article so much as it has identified a much loved plant in our yarden for me. I have enjoyed it for a few years but never knew its name until I read your article. I notice all the different insects on it the other day. We have several of these all over the yarden.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5552271

What nice comments! And nice to hear I am far from alone in liking the native volunteers. Thanks all for reading. I agree- what would we do without DG?

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5552752

Hi Sally :)

Thanks for helping me figure out what this plant was. We have had it now for several years and I wasn't really sure of the ID. We have one blooming now in our veggie garden border and several others blooming in different spots all around our property.

I didn't realize the butterflies and bugs liked it so much, I'll have to resist the urge to pull it out! I really like and do try to plant (and allow to pop up) native plants as much as possible.

Happy Gardening,
~Diana

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5554186

wind- you're welcome! If the sun's out today you still might have a nice crowd on yours. There are lots of tiny really fast flying things on them too. I just figure or hope, I'm supporting those beneficial wasps.,
Do they seem perennial for you? I have had them overwinter- I moved a nice one last fall.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Isn't DG great? KyWoods 2 Sep 14, 2008 4:53 AM
white and fuzzy gloriag 2 Sep 14, 2008 3:36 PM
YOU are becoming quite the Writer!!!!! Gitagal 8 Aug 27, 2012 5:19 AM
Thank you! flowerette 1 Sep 20, 2008 12:38 AM
"Boneset" tufe 1 Sep 21, 2008 11:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America