Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canadian Gardening: Canada Through Your Eyes part 3

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 32, Views: 346
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5552444

A thread to continue the visual journey through our beautiful country.

A picture taken at Victoria Harbour, Vancouver Island (at our first, and so far only, country wide roundup)

edited to add the link to part 2: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/894054/

This message was edited Sep 14, 2008 7:09 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5570473

I'm back. Ann, that was a lovely tour through Ottawa. Great photos, you are a good tour guide, now I don't have to go. Burn_2007, incredible place you live. Fantastic photos, thank you for showing me such beautiful part of my country.

I have a few pics from Rushing River in Ontario. We used to spend a large chunk of our holidays here when our boys were growing up. Still like to go for at least one day trip every summer.

Here's looking up the river from the bridge

Thumbnail by echoes

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5570482

Pam, great boat shot you started out with,

Here's one taken from the little beach to the big beach.

Thumbnail by echoes

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5570488

this is around the other side of the island at the beach

Thumbnail by echoes

joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5570498

I am so grateful for these threads. Thank you all so much for sharing your love of your wonderful, beautiful country. :)

Some time when I find some of the pictures I took when I was in Toronto a few years ago I would love to share them, if that would be OK? I have nice pictures of the lovely gardens of Casa Loma, the beautiful beaches on Lake Ontario, and the Canada Day fireworks from Toronto's harbor. I can never visit Canada too often, and when I am there I do not want to leave.

I love Canada dearly, everything about her.

Peace,

-Joe G.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5570504

from the bridge on the way to the falls, gulp, sure hope I can find one of the falls

Thumbnail by echoes

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5570514

Sure you can post your pictures here Joe. We'd love to see them. Thank you for loving my country. Of course you do know that Toronto isn't the best only part of Canada, even though it's nice.

Now more Rushing River, ...when I find the falls, sheesh!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #5570914

LOLOL echoes now quit picking on poor Toronto! ;D (oh I can hear my cousin in Toronto now)

echoes I've have got to visit that hidden gem of yours (unknown to me anyways)! What a beautiful river! Does it get very warm?

This message was edited Sep 19, 2008 1:12 AM
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #5570915

Oh I know :))) Canada is a vast, diverse country. I'd love to be able to go coast to coast by rail some day. That's my dream. :)

-Joe

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2008
6:45 AM

Post #5570916

Joe welcome back to Canada and we'd love to see your pictures as well.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2008
6:53 AM

Post #5570920

Joe we were typing at the same time...I share your dream btw. I've seen Canada by rail from Vancouver to Winnipeg but would love to see the Eastern half of this country (I haven't gone any further east than Lake of the Woods, Ontario). I have gone from coast to coast in the U.S. however.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5572040

Please jump on in Joe. I luv to see pics and here everyone's thoughts and impressions on different parts of our country.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 20, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5574266

Yes Joe, come share, it will be fun.
Echoes nice place to take the kids too. which kid doesn't like water and things associated with it like frogs and lizards, fishes. If you find a pic of the falls would love to see it.
TCH to NB ;)

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 23, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5588802

What a lovely scenic picture of the TransCanada Burns! :D I can safely say the #1 sure doesn't look like that here. ;D
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5589714

Thanks Lilypon. This section of highway was only open last year, that's why it's looking good right now. ;)
broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5623414

I really enjoyed checking out all the photos taken across our beautiful country.

I will add a couple of mine. Last Sept I was lucky to take an RV trip up to Inuvik, NWT with my Dad, brother & sister. Since Mom passed away Dad has really missed going on their yearly trips, so he takes us along.

#1 - Sign Post Forest at Watson Lake, Yukon Territory. There are 60,000+ signs here. It is really amazing to see. The first sign was put there by a US Army Engineer helping build the Alaska Hwy. If you bring a sign from your town/city, they will put it up.

Thumbnail by broots

broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5623420

#2 - driving along the Dempster Hwy.

Thumbnail by broots

broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5623430

#3 - Arctic Circle

Thumbnail by broots

broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5623435

#4 - Arctic Circle

Thumbnail by broots

broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #5623441

#5 - Peel River Plateau. I was not expecting to see fall colours up beyond the treeline. It was amazing.

Thumbnail by broots

broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5623446

#6 - Peel River Plateau.

Thumbnail by broots

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 2, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5623748

Those are amazing photos of NWT broots,Thanks for showing me another part of the world.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 2, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5623776

Wow! Stunningly beautiful country you have there. I'm going to have to Google Earth Peel River Plateau now. Love the sign wall. Thanks for sharing.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5623796

broots - thanks for those pics of a totally different part of Canada. Wonderful colours.

I see you're not new to DG, but I think this is the first time I've met you. Where do you hang out on DG most of the time?

Ann
broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5623842

burn_2007, thanks, I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the photos. It really was amazing. Not what I was expecting.

MargaretK, Peel River Plateau is something to see & so was the Sign Post Forest. Thanks for checking out the photos.

ViolaAnn, no I am not new here by any means. I haven't posted to DG since before the summer. I had my two granddaughters, 6 & 4 for the summer & my daughter was here too trying out a new job. She just left a week ago. So as you can see, no time to post. I usually check out the Cdn, Recipes, Pets, Computers & Photography forums, Thankyou for checking out the photos.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5623856

Fabulous photos, broots. Thanks for giving us a peek at the far North of Canada. Such unusual landscape. The shot of the Dempster Highway was beautiul.
broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 2, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5624899

Hi DonM47, thanks for checking out the photos. The Dempster Hwy can be a tough one to drive. It is made of shale/gravel & it can shred your tires. Before you set out they tell you that if you make it all the way to Inuvik without a flat, consider yourself very lucky. We were fortunate, the RV we rented had 10-ply tires & we made it up & back without a flat. We saw a truck in front of us get a flat & we talked to one guy who had to replace all four tires. If you take it easy & drive sensibly you are usually ok. One thing I didn't care for, they don't believe in guard rails going up the mountains & when the wind is whistling across it can make for some white-knuckled driving. But I would do it again. As long as I wasn't the one driving the RV.
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #5640467

A couple years ago I went to a conference that was held in a wonderful Zen centre on the south end of Vancouver Island. Walkways lined with fig trees, fruit trees on the grounds, raised their own poultry, and these incredible blackberry canes that grew about 10-12 ft high all along the seaside edge of the property.
I had flown there from Toronto, but took the train all the way back from Vancouver to Toronto. I LOVE THE TRAIN!!
We had to change trains - in Winnipeg, I think - and had a chance to shop the Farmers' Market which is right beside the train station, while they were switching trains.
I would do that trip again in a heartbeat, if I ever had the chance.
Lucky, lucky ducks that live on the island. It is so beautiful . . .
~marilyn

Thumbnail by cybercrone

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #6399963

bump
inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

April 13, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6403513

ok. Duly bumped

These are murals painted on the harbour wall in Gimli Manitoba. Gimli is on Lake Winnipeg. Has quite a decent harbour. Many fishing boats and the largest Icelandic population outside Iceland.

Ginny

Thumbnail by inanda

inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

April 13, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6403549

Here are a couple of pix from the one and only Cdn. RU, hosted by Linda and Cheryl in Victoria.

Houseboats at Fisherman's Wharf.
Ginny

Thumbnail by inanda

inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

April 13, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6403566

Only one picture per page (according to my computer) so last pic from the RU, a carpet taken in Beacon Hill Park.
Ginny

Thumbnail by inanda

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6404604

Nice pics.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America