Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Heirloom Vegetables: Heirloom lettuce

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5556320

I have been growing an heirloom lettuce for several years now. It's called French Heirloom lettuce and I got the seed from an exchange on GardenWeb. I love it and it's beautiful. It has green and kind of a rusty red leaf. It grows nice and big even though I use the cut and come again method of harvesting. It just keeps producing nice big leaves. Eventually goes into a rosette. Great taste and easy to grow in the cooler weather times. I save seeds from it every year and plan on putting them on my seed exchange page soon. I would love to trade for other heirloom veggies, especially Amish Paste Tom. and maybe that great looking gray zucchini I saw on this thread or whatever tastes great. I have some young ones growing now for fall and plan to take a picture of them soon. I went to the Italian Seed Co. others have posted and I see two there that remind me for this great lettuce. Anyone like to try it??
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

September 20, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5574055

Id be interested in a trade. I havent found a lettuce variety that I like much yet, or one that grows well in winter. Winter is a better time to grow I think, because theres less bugs around! I grow organically so refuse to spray. Whats your lettuce called?

Im growing Amish Paste this year, but the plants are only just started so will have to wait untill about feb to colect seed. Growing a few zuchini types as well. Cocozelle, Trombocino, and a flattish white one which I dont know the english name for (I brought the seeds home from a holiday in Germany).

Im mainly interested in tomatoes, do you ave any seeds for trade?

Lena :-)

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5578323

Yes, I do have a wonderful tomato to trade. It needs a warm climate, so sometimes mine don't get going until too late. I started 2 for my sister that lives inland in a much warmer area of Ore. than me, so she gets huge ones. And, it is a huge tomato. You must make really strong and tall supports for it. The stem is tree-like. The fruit is pleated and kind of a pinkish red. The leaves are a potato leaf variety and the taste is heavenly. I call it Pennsylvania Potato leaf for lack of a name. I sent to Penn. for the seed several years ago. I grow it in a huge tall wood structure my DH made me. I always save seeds and I always try it because in a warm summer I get lots of fruit and it's worth waiting for. My sister has them on now and has tons. All her neighbors beg for them. I will post some pictures of the one my sis brought to me green and I ripened it on the window sill.
I have heard the Amish paste is the best paste of all and I would like to try it but don't know how long to the ripe stage it takes. I will post pictures later but I have to get them out of my camera first. LOL
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

September 21, 2008
9:31 AM

Post #5579405

Your tomato sounds good, and sounds simelar to Pink Brandywine which is a favourite of mine. You said you dont know what its called? I would love to try it though. This is my first year growing Amish paste. I always grew Roma, but this year I am trialing a number of paste varieties to see which one I like best. Polish Linguisa, Heinz 1439, San Marzano, Purple Rusian, Green Sausage, Brown Plum, and Roma to compare with. Have you tried any of these?

Lena

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5595141

LenaBean---Here are the photos I promised you. 1 lettuce and 2 tomato pics, but I'll have to do them one at a time.
LETTUCE

Thumbnail by beebonnet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5595153

Pennsylvania Potato Leaf Tomato

Thumbnail by beebonnet

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5595163

It weighed in at 1 pd. but they get even bigger.

Thumbnail by beebonnet

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

September 27, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5604745

Great looking tomato! And the lettuce looks good too. Thanks for putting the photos up. I would love to try both of them if you are willing to do a trade. I can send you Amish Paste, and check out my trade list to see if theres anything else you would like seeds of. Dmail me if your interested :-)
Lena

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America