Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Aunt Bett's Unmentionables: Blue Cohosh: The age we grew up in

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett's Unmentionables: Blue Cohosh
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett's Unmentionables: Blue CohoshReplies: 10, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 16, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #5558028

Sharon, this is another story of yours that spoke to my youth. In those teenage years, we were told that during "the curse," we couldn't wash our hair, get a permanent, take a bath or go swimming. When I remember that time, I think about how much things have changed and yet I don't believe young women are respected today and much of that because of behavior, dress and attitude. Change is not always progress.

How I enjoy your stories about Aunt Bett.

Angie
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5558665

I always love your Aunt Bett stories. I hope you put them together for a book some day.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5558910

I second that - the Aunt Bett book... I will buy it for sure.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5565350

It is always so good to hear from you all, Ike hit hard and heavy here, so I have been without electricity since Sunday. Longest 84 hours I ever spent. Spent 3 days picking up sticks, limbs and neigbors garbage. Tree down close to my yard, but on neighbors property, neighbor's tree. And I now have a flat garden.
Anyway, thank you for writing, always nice to read your comments. And I promise I am working on a book.
Sharon
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 18, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5565948

Sharon: Glad you and yours are safe, if bedraggled. We think longingly of the "good old days," but when we are without power for a while, we learn to appreciate modern conveniences anew!

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #5566284

I read a lot at night, Angie, by the light of several candles...thought of Abe Lincoln!!! I have decided I can do without a lot of things, but it sure isn't very wonderful without electricity. Saddest thing, I had my late husbands relatives came here on Thursday from near Galveston...and I had purchased a freezer full of food since they were coming because of mandatory evacuation...well, they went back on Monday, and of course all the food ruined. I spent today cleaning out the last of the freezer.
I think they fared better than I did...but I am fine, just have an empty fridge and freezer and a flat garden, and one tree uprooted in my next door neighbor's yard.
You take care, thanks for your good wishes.
Sharon

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8795558

Another great story!

I would so buy, an Aunt Bett book!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8797938

Soon soon soon, BP!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8798716

Seriously? There will be a book?!!
moonrose777
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8813770

Can it be grown from seed? How about USD zones? Recipes? Aunt B never thought we would worry about those plant remedies but the pendulem has swung. I for one do not like or trust mediction made in countries that hate the USA and sadly that is where most meds come from. I have had extreme side effects from meds several times and it was not fun. I have fibromyalgia and chemical sensativity and both illnesses are spreading like wild fire which makes me think we need to go back to the old ways until we can find our way back to American made quality. I just read an article on chem trails, those streaks behind planes and found it is not fuel emissions as I supposed but aluminum being spread out over this and other countries. To control our weather! How good a job are they doing with that, please tell me? Our pets died by the millions from the contaminated food with Chinese additives in it. I'm wondering how long until it hits the humans. The aluminum is found in the brains of Alzhimer's patients. It piles up in our garden dirt and raises the danger of eating what we are growing. Large trees are dying all over Hawaii with the high concentration of aluminum. Many places have thousand of times the amount that is safe but they go on spraying daily over Kansas where I live. It is even been found in the bone marrow of children with Leukemia. Sorry to get on a soap box here but I really just read about it today and I'm dumb founded and mad as hell. I'm going to order seeds for a herb garden and put up a mesh screen to catch the tiny aluminum particles. God help us and please keep writing about your Aunt's methods. Blessings Gayla Templeton in Kansas where the chem trails cover the sky this evening.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8814384

Moonrose, amen to all that! I live under the airport highway myself, and despise the trails clouding up the sky. I don't even live in the town the airport is in.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett's Unmentionables: Blue Cohosh Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Intresting phicks 1 Sep 18, 2008 12:09 AM
Cohosh Sisters catmad 1 Sep 18, 2008 12:00 AM
Another Who Knew! nanny_56 3 Sep 18, 2008 3:38 PM
hehe Kathleen 3 Sep 18, 2008 12:21 AM
wonderful article Zanymuse 1 Sep 20, 2008 2:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America