Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cameras and Photography: Explaining DPI and Resolution

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 4, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Uekiya
drumheller
Canada

September 16, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5560591

DPI is Dots Per Inch( of pixels) when printed off a printer.
Resolution is the how many pixels in a completed picture.
By increasing your cameras resolution you are in effect adding more pixels to a picture.
If your printer can only print(DPI) a low amount (4x6size )then isn't this a waste of pixels?I know it depends on the size of picture you are printing.
I also read somewhere that one can get a bigger size with a lot of pixels by scanning the picture, but I think one is sacrificing crispness.Any thoughts on this?
rogue_designer
Chicago, IL

September 16, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5560737

Yes - if you only intend to print 4x6 prints - you don't need a huge number of pixels. A 3mp camera will be about sufficient. Most suggested DPI ranges for clean, clear images are between 200 and 400dpi at a given print size (300 is magazine industry standard).

However, if you want to be able to crop in, or have the option of printing larger at some point, more pixels is nice.

Sometimes you can get a larger size by scanning a print - but you can also sacrifice sharpness, or induce other artifacts, depending on the originals output method. For instance, a scan from a standard CMYK rosette (professional press) can induce Moire patterns. You're almost always better off with the digital original file in this case.

However - an optical print, from an optical negative, can usually be scanned and reproduced with good results (up to a point, you're still better off getting the negative original, and working from that).
Uekiya
drumheller
Canada

September 17, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5563946

rogue_designer: Thankyou for that information.
I have a 10mp digital camera.I want to buy a decent printer that I could print out at least a 13X19 picture.
So far I saw a Canon Pro 9000 and a 9500 models...and one Hp pro model.Which would you reccommend?I am using it for digital artwork.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2008 11:42 AM
rogue_designer
Chicago, IL

September 17, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5564090

Epson also makes models that will print out 13x19. I've always been partial to epson, but HP have been impressing me recently. I've never seen a Canon printer I liked though. Certainly others have been happy with them.

I tend to look for printers that have individual cartridges for each color, and ideally more than one black (glossy, versus matte). Unless you're willing to really invest though, I would say most of the printers under $1000 that can run that size will do so about equally well. I wouldn't worry overly much. If you can get print samples to review, that's ideal.
Uekiya
drumheller
Canada

September 17, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5564930

HP Photosmart Pro B8850 sounds good too.
The Canons do have mutiple cartridges.I look for reasonable prices for cartridges as well.I figured that I may as well go for the good quality printers.Yes.it is a big investment.I can use it for newsletters, flyers etc.
I didn't know Epson had a good quality one though.I will check into this.Thankyou for your help.Much appreciated.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America