Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Calculating the Harvest: Good idea...

Communities > Forums > Article: Calculating the Harvest
bookmark
Forum: Article: Calculating the HarvestReplies: 5, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5563438

I've been weighing only the produce used for recipes and never thought about keeping a record of everything that we harvest from our little garden. This is a good idea I plan to incorporate next year!

Thanks for the article,
Bev
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5564063

I'm curious about the raised beds on top of weed fabric -- does this prevent earthworms from migrating in (and then back down for the winter)?

I'm following in your footsteps with the self-sufficiency thing! So thanks for the link to the other family.
girlgroupgirl

September 18, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5566630

Summerkid: Winter, lol. I live in GA. Earthworms all year 'round!!

I have no problem keeping worms in my beds. Just have to add enough water and compost and there they are!

I did however remove the plastic from directly under the beds. I did not mention this, but I do it the 2nd planting. The first planting of the beds I leave it down. Then when I turn to refresh compost and add minerals or organics I dig down deep enough to lift up the weed barrier and rip it right out. It won't be needed any longer after the grass as died!

This message was edited Sep 18, 2008 12:13 AM
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8169461

you could use layers of newspaper or cardboard instead of plastic. works on the grass and earthworm friendly.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #8175187

I have watched the Path to Freedom site for a couple years and admire them. It is amazing that on such a small piece of land (1/5) acre - including their home - that they are so productive. Of course they are blessed to be living in a mild climate and abe to grow year around. FYI, here is a newer (I believe): video:http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/04/18/magazine/1194817108584/life-mostly-off-the-grid.html

I would love to be able to grow more 'in ground', but the gophers would have a field day. I have done stra bales this year and they worked quite well. Your raised beds look great. Are you making other changes to be off the grid, or primarily working on the food growing aspect? Any producers of eggs, milk, etc.?
pearlselby
Clarksville, TX

September 22, 2014
10:36 PM

Post #9945900

We weigh our harvest every year. I sure was glad to see this article. We had too many tomatoes(is this possible?) this year.

Our Okra did very well and is so tall.

I love tis site.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Calculating the Harvest Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
From now on cathy4 0 Sep 17, 2008 2:00 PM
Great phicks 0 Sep 17, 2008 2:43 PM
104.50 Aunt_A 0 Sep 18, 2008 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America