Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Daylilies: Adding More Late bloomers to my garden this fall

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 15, Views: 441
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5565368

As many of you might know by now from following my postings, I
have been very much into extending the season for my daylily garden,
especially looking to add late bloomers. This has turned out to be much more
difficult to accomplish than one might think. A step in the right direction
for me I feel was the addition of some of the Olallie daylily late bloomers.
But I wanted more as a want a strong showing in August with daylilies that
start in August to make a second season of peak bloom from the normal July
peak on Long Island.

One big problem with finding truly late bloomers is that it might be late
blooming in one area but not necessarily so when added to my Long Island
garden. The solution seemed to be to find daylilies not only growing here on
Long Island blooming late but more perfect yet, to find daylilies actually
hybridized here on Long Island that were late and very late bloomers. To
that end, I had been corresponding with Isabel Hibbard in Farmingdale, Long
Island, who specializes in hybridizing for true late and very late
daylilies. My garden is more north shore and hers more south shore but
August blooming there will be August blooming here.

Today I went and met Isabel at her garden and picked up my new daylilies. 36
late and very late blooming daylilies are now mine to be added to my garden.
All except one, SANDRA ELIZABETH, are Hibbard intros. Isabel is a very
gracious lady who truly loves daylilies and working for the late blooms. She
has been quite successful in this direction and I am very pleased to be able
to add a selection of Hibbard intros to my garden. Come the end of normal
bloom season next July, I will not have to go into daylily bloom withdrawal
because I will be having my second round of daylilies blooming, the August
bloomers. Hurray for extending the daylily season.

Heres what I got-

Mini Flowers-
MERRY MUNCHKIN (late)
REBECCA ANN DEAN (late)

Mid Late-
NO PUEDE SER
CHARISMA PLUS
WINGED DOVE

Lates-
AUTUMN FAIR (bonus plant 2007)
LATE SESSION (listed as Late Season 2006)
AMBER FINALE
APRICOTE AFTERGLOW
COUNTDOWN TO FALL
EXIT STRATEGY
FAREWELL PARTY
FINAL CIRCLE
IMPERIAL BALL
LAST CREAMSICLE
LATEBREAKING NEWS
LATE HARVEST
MULTIPLE PERSONALITY
MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
TOKAY WINE
WHAT PRICE GLORY

Very Lates-
FAMOUS LAST WORDS (bonus plant 2006)
LATE WONDER 2007
AMOR ULTIMA
END OF STORY
FINAL ANSWER
FOREGONE CONCLUSION
LAST LAUGH
LAST WALTZ
LATE INTERLUDE
LATE ROUND
SEASONS END
SEPTEMBER SERENADE

Very Very Lates-
FINIAL FRONTIER
SEE YOU IN SEPTEMBER (2007)

As I knew I was going to be picking them up today for several weeks, I have been busy planning and measuring were these will be going. The bulk will go in a new two row section that is going to be added to that daylily garden in the backyard called the cosmos garden. Another big section will be a row in the front yard near were my new row of Westbourne daylilies are planted, they will actually be further up the hill in what will ultimately be the third row of daylilies out in that section of the front.

These are all nice green fans, smaller than the large size I am used to getting from southern growers but dug from ordinary garden soil. I am sure they will take off nicely.

Of course I got the garden tour while I was out there. The daylilies are grown in a normal garden setting in clumps and when they grow enough to divide, she sells some. No lining out like in a more commercial sales garden.

When I was deciding on my selections, there were some that she was out of as she did not have enough fans to sell at this time. Now she is out of lots and lots more as I got the last fans to be sold of many of the intros for many years until they increase again. Apparently itís slow going to get big clumps for sales. No way of knowing by looking at her website whatís not available as she does not note it on there.

I also saw many pictures taken of the blooms on her computer which are new digital pictures and the flowers were quite lovely. Apparently the pictures currently on the website are mostly photographs scanned in and the colors are not the best true representations.

I am going to be one very busy bee planting new daylilies in the next few days

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5565558

Hibbard Sale-

Isabel is having a sale and gave me information in case I knew of anyone interested.

It is 25 named daylilies for $100.00 plus shipping of $15.00.

She had a list but as they got sold out others were substituted. Some older better known varieties such as RED VOLUNTEER, STRAWBERRY CANDY, RASPBERRY CANDY, some of her intros and such. Anyone interested e-mail her for list.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5565703

I am sorry that I was unclear. You have to e-mail Isabel, not me. I just figgured I would post the notice of the sale going on to help out.

http://www.daylilylady.com/index.htm

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #5569024

Didn't get to planting any of them today but I have them all soaking in different tubs as I sorted them by were I was going to plant. I figggured it would be easier to sort them before soaking as this way I have them grouped together by the area I am going to plant.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5577618

I got one row in the backyard of Hibbard daylilies planted yesterday plus the Paul Owen daylilies. I had planned on continueing my daylily planting today but the compost for my new daylily raised bed in the front yard showed up delivered today so daylily planting got pushed back. They are doing fine soaking.

I did take a good look at the ones I planted yesterday using lots of bagged manure and I swear they look better already. I think they will settle in just fine.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5589957

After a break of afew days were I was not planting any daylilies while the pond was being worked on, I am back to planting daylilies again today. I want to get finished for this year. It has been a long haul and between my spring planting and my fall planting I have managed to add approx 200 daylilies this year. I can hardly believe it myself.

I got the second of the two Hibbard planned rows extending the cosmos garden planted just now. Going back outside to get some more planted while I still have energy left. Its just glorious outside today.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5599434

We are having some kind of weather front moving in, been cloudy and windy all day. Suppossed to start raining overnight and rain all day tomorrow. I figgured I had better get going and plant some more of those daylilies as they sure were not going to plant themselves.

So I got a row done in the front yard were I had planned on putting some. Had to do some prep work at the area to get it more even and level. Thats the spot in the front yard were a row of roses came out and now a row of late blooming daylilies went in.

Got ten planted today, then I got them all mulched and also got the two rows in the backyard mulched that I had already planted before today. I want to be ready for the rain.

I have 7 more of those late bloomers left to plant yet and then I will be done planting. Since I don't have any more daylilies coming this fall, I figgure it will not be too big a job to finish up.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2008
10:21 AM

Post #5601064

Sounds like a beautiful fall to come.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5613667

Here they are planted as the last two rows in this daylily bed.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5613676

Also some in the front yard daylily section..

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5637053

I was out today (after the rain) looking at all the Hibbard intros that I had planted and they are really looking good. They must really like my ammended soil as they are extra green and growing like crazy.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5811181

Isabel Hibbard puts up her new intros for the year in the fall so just recently she updated her website with the 2008 intros. Two are very late which is what I look for from her as I do not know many places to buy September blooming daylilies.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6332511

Been checking the progrees of those Hibbard intros I put in last September. Actually, who am I kidding, I have been checking on the growth of ALL my daylilies already this spring, but since I planted these later than I usually like to be doing mass plantings (it was September already) I was especially interested in how they are doing. I need them to do well, I have put great big hopes on them to put late bloom into my garden.

The good part for them is that they went into nice rich heavily compost enriched soil and seemed to be really happy putting on lots of new growth last fall. Seem to be all coming up now and as they are dormants, are slower getting going than those plateau evergreens.

I really can not remember how many fans I had in each clump so not sure if they have increased or not but nice new green growth is good.

Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6915982

Hi newyorkrita,
I am very curious as to how this all turned out for you since it is now August of 2009! I have been driving myself CRAZY looking at different late bloomers and different sites to order from. I don't have a ton of money to spend, so not looking at real expensive daylilies. But the search is making me CRAZY like I said before!!! From one site to the other to the other until I am so confused i can't think straight. ;-) Will this really bloom in August? I think it should. But will it???? Now where were the prices the best? Which place had the good Watchdog reviews? And on and on... You get the idea!!!! So you can see I'm VERY interested how this all turned out for you because I am about ready to just order some and get it over with and hope for the best.

Thanks,
Sherry

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6916011

Shery- I don't know too much about how things translate to your zone but here in the Mid-Atlantic region if you buy deep southern bred daylilies that are registered as late bloomers, almost all bloom mid season brought up here. So going by whatever its registered at doesn't work for me.

I have to find northern hybridized late bloomers and that works for late season. The Hibbard intros have turned out great. As they were small fans planted only last fall, I don't have a big display yet but I can see that I am on the right track and future years are going to really pay off.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6918750

Sherry- See my new other thread on Progress of late blomers in my garden for more information.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America