Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: plant with little purple berries

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
justamom
Papillion, NE

September 18, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5568697

I've found several of these little plants in my yard. They have little white flowers that turn to small green berries that turn dark purple when ripe. I burst open one of the ripe berries and found it has several little white seeds on the inside. The leaves are unlobed and seem to be a popular source of food for insects (holey).

Some of the plants seem to be growing somewhat upright, while others are more prostrate.

Thanks!!

Thumbnail by justamom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 18, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #5569056

Solanum americanum, Nightshade.
justamom
Papillion, NE

September 18, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5569263

Thank you!
gardenstateguy
Piscataway, NJ

September 19, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5570353

Most of the plant is toxic.

Since it is related to tomatoes, it is believed to attract tomato parasites in your garden.

I pull them off as soon as I see them.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 19, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5570689

What proof is there that Solanum americanum will mess up your tomato crop?

It is wise to be cautious about the toxicity of wild plants, but it is better to learn about the plants in your area and understand them, rather than carry a paranoia around with you to spread to others.

Most plants in the Nightshade Family, Solanaceae, have toxic parts, but we still eat them. This includes Tomatoes, Potatoes, Eggplants, Tomatillos, Chili Peppers, Sweet Peppers, Tree Tomatoes, Naranhia, etc.

Every plant that we eat, has parts that are not usable for food. Most folks eat Apples and other fruit of the Rosaceae, while avoiding the cyanide containing leaves of the plants. People chew down the leaves of lettuce, but are wise enough not to try and eat lettuce roots which are not easy to digest.

If one learns about the plants and nature that exists around them, they don't have to be afraid of the natural world that occurs there.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #5571118

Quoting:What proof is there that Solanum americanum will mess up your tomato crop?

By acting as an attractant and/or asymptomatic host for various pests and diseases that are more damaging to Solanum lycopersicum than they are to Solanum americanum.

Resin
gardenstateguy
Piscataway, NJ

September 19, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5571502

This message was edited Sep 19, 2008 8:21 AM

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 19, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5572800

Thanks Resin. My tomatoes don't need any help catching diseases, they seem to rot on their own with no trouble at all!

Aloha, Dave
psyduck731
Elkader, IA

September 24, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5594471

That is a black nightshade.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America