Best Andouille Sausage

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

DH was watching Emir(sp) the cookin' guy....this why he cooks!...anyway..saw a recipe and it calls for Andouille Sausage. Now have no idea what we can find local...but you can oder online from a couple places.

SO what is a good brand???

Thanks

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like Manda from Baton Rouge and several others from South Louisiana whose names I don't remember. Anyhow look for a South Louisiana brand and you will have no regrets!

Wow, I had forgotten about this!! LOL

Thanks

Macon, GA

I have used a brand from kroger, the hot is better. Had some this weekend from a carolina grocer, fresh mart? I believe. They were good too.

My gosh ...I forgot about this. Th

So did you get it thru mail order? My DH did find some this week at Kroger's from Johnsonville Brand. Just that so many of Emeril Lagasse's recipes use it. Thanks for any responses!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

If you need to order some, here is a good source:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fresh-foods-sausage-andouille-c-1_15_34.html?source=google&gclid=CNfd18uTxpcCFQv7agodBw2OTQ

the home page is:

http://www. cajungrocer.com -- Then just search for andouille.

Now were smokin' !!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Macon, GA

That cajun grocer place is nice, actually unbelievable. Im just close to kroger and altho my brain doesnt work like it did in my youth, the sausage Im talking about comes from La, and its better than the johnsonville brand. Im gonna have one today with cooked onions and bell peppers with a bit of french mustard. And as an extra, yellow peppers are sweeter and reds are sweeter than yellow!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am glad you can get them at Krogers. I wish I could! We have a Krogers here but they don't carry andouille which I love. I go to New Orleans frequently and usually bring some back when I do. But if I get desperate, I do mail order cajun stuff -- especially from Zatarain's. I don't think they have andouille but they have lots of other good New Orleans products. Their brown mustard is fabulous and so is their fish fry. Can you tell I grew up in New Orleans and still yearn for the food there?
Your sausage and peppers dish sounds outstanding.

You might keep looking and mention it to your Krogers Meat Dept. My DH kept going in and asking for the andouille for about the last 6 months. And it finally showed up!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good idea! The former corporation that owned our grocery store never ordered what one asked for -- now they are out of business. Glad to hear that Krogers is better. I'll have to give it a try.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I wish andouille was more readily available. I love smoked sausages and meats in recipes. I've been making a few of my own sausages lately, so much better and without all the preservatives. Haven't done any that require smoking though, and thats a big part of the flavor of andouille. And so far I've only done those that don't need to be stuffed in casings, but I'd really like to get into sausage making more seriously.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images