Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum): "Boneset"

Communities > Forums > Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum)Replies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tufe
Newtonville, MA

September 20, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5574759

I hate to sound negative, but a friend of mine gave me one a few years ago; I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of it. It's really not that cute in bloom and I'm pulling up seedlings all over my property. It seems that everywhere I turn there's a new one. I would never make this mistake again.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2008
11:16 AM

Post #5579512

I appreciate your honesty.
Yes there are cultivars of close relatives to Late-flowering boneset that are more showy, for example the Joe Pye Weeds. Another reader mentioned Chocolate which I think is a cultivar of Snakeroot. I would think they are all very attractive to insects, but I don't know if they reseed like this.
As far as reseeding, I rate Late-flowering Boneset not as my worst reseeder, but somewhere on the list, after morning glory, violets, Salvia coccinea, daisy fleabane, woodsorrel., rose campion, crabgrass...I still pull a lot more of those out of my flowerbeds than the LFB.
You may want to add a comment to Plantfiles about this plant. Thanks for reading and commenting.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Using DG for a native plant ID: Late-flowering Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Isn't DG great? KyWoods 2 Sep 14, 2008 4:53 AM
white and fuzzy gloriag 2 Sep 14, 2008 3:36 PM
It makes me wish I had one! BennysPlace 7 Sep 15, 2008 2:35 PM
YOU are becoming quite the Writer!!!!! Gitagal 8 Aug 27, 2012 5:19 AM
Thank you! flowerette 1 Sep 20, 2008 12:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America