Photo by Melody

Self-contained Box Gardens: Question about Spinach and EB's?

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 23, Views: 221
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 20, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5576029

Okay, this is a two-fold question. First of all ... I'm running a little late with my spinach, but there are no plants to be had here so want to start some seeds and put them in an EB. Do you think it's too late? Also, Tplant, how do you start yours? I use those little peat pellet things for my tomatoes, but I've never started spinach seeds. Do I do it different? Would I use those peat pots instead? I really need to get going if I'm planting seeds!
Thanks ...
~Susan
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 20, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5576377

101 -- I direct seed by cutting an 8 X's in the cover and plant three seed per and cull out the weakest. Spinach like the cooler weather so get started and enjoy the flavor.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 20, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5576479

Oh boy ... am I ever glad I asked! I didn't know I could direct sow right into the eb? What about watering? Will there be enough moisture in the soil or will I have to sprinkle them until they get going? What else can you do like that? Wow, I knew I had a lot to learn!
Thanks!
~Susan

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5576771

Susan,
I also direct sow any greens.. Then as Tplant says, just thin them out..I usually have spinach most of the fall and winter, til it gets too hot again.. Sprinkle when planting seeds and then water as needed...Should have already had mine going..

Larkie
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 20, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5576857

Thanks Larki! Maybe I'm not too late since I'm just a wee bit south from you. I know I really should already have mine started, too. I'm going to get mine going. So tell me, what am I doing in here on this pputer? LOL :) I just love having our own forum!!
~Susan
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5595599

Great question, Susan. I followed your instructions today, TPlant. I have 16 X's in the cover, all are spinach, but 3 are cilantro. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, I have 2 EB's with tomatoes that made it through Ike - one I could haul to the garage, and the other was jammed up against the north wall of the garage. All plants are looking very ragged, but promising. Our day and night temps are approaching perfection for tomato set, so hoping, hoping, hoping some more blossoms will come on soon.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #5596580

Susan,

I have had terrible luck getting spinach and Swiss chard to grow. Let me know how the spinach does for you in the EB. If it works for you, I'll make one just for the spinach, which I love. Can't buy either one in the grocery stores here.

Karen
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 25, 2008
5:09 AM

Post #5596625

Will do! :)

Book ... keep us updated on your progress. :)
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5597456

Each state has its own planting guide. Mine is Florida planting guide. Google your state for more info. It takes away the guess work.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 25, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5597795

Yeah, I did and I'm running late :) but it's just a few seeds so I'm going to try it anyway. Just call me stubborn. LOL I'm planting turnips and mustard greens, too. If they make it, they'll sure be tasty and if not ... well, my EB's would have been sitting out there empty anyway. :) Maybe I'll learn something from my experiment ... like don't be so late next year! grin
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5598291

Today is the first cool day that we have had since the beginning of summer but I can not go out and start to clean up and prepare an area for my EBs because my shoulders are really hurting. Darned arthritis! It's in the low 80s but very damp and I guess dampness and arthritis just don't go togeather. The weather man promises drier weather heading our way so I'll just have to sit still and not move around to much. Good time to catch up on my gardening books...
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 3, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5626955

Okay y'all ... I know this is my spinach thread, but I just wanted to tell everyone my turnip and mustard greens have come up. Not a thing from the spinach yet, but I was later than I wanted to be getting them in ... so I'm not giving up. I'm praying , praying praying that all these greens do well for me. I'm soooo excited! :-) I'll take a pic when they get big enough to show off.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 6, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5638876

Okay, I'm glad to report my spinach has come up. Guess I forgot to check on them the past couple of days. :) I'm pleased that so far everything seems to be doing good so far. :)
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #5640182

I01 - Glad your spinach came up! I planted my seeds right before going out of town - that's my goofy planning for you. Still about 4 of them came up. We came back this morning and I watered them well - so I'll hope for the others. I'm excited!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 9, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5649114

For those of you who love spinach but lose it in the hot weather, try malabar spinach. It loves hot weather and is perennial. And it really does taste like spinach even though it's not related.

Mine is growing in a salvaged washing machine tub.

One thing on my round tuit list is to see if I can make a homemade grow box out of washing machine tubs.

katiebear
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5649471

Katiebear - good reminder to me - my malabar spinach is coming back on its own in my mixed flower/veg beds for a second year and going strong now! I eat it raw, and love it even though it doesn't remind me of regular spinach very much. I love ANYTHING edible that is a perennial!

Good luck on your washing machine garden! Very unique - post pics for us :)
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

October 9, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5649559

malabar spinach! thanks for the reminder! i have the green vines...who has reds?

=)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 13, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5665880

Okay, my spinach is up but is spindly. Is that the way it just naturally looks at first?
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5666111

Only 3 of mine sprouted and they are all spindly, too! I was reading from my local organic gardening guru, and found it's probably too hot still. We are in the high 80's now. I decided I'll try more seeds in a week or so and hopefully it will be cooler.

How hot is it for you in Georgia?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5666480

Book!
You mean I still have time to sow my spinach and greens from seeds???!!!! That was my question, too. I have 5 EBs just sitting outside. Waiting for PAW to tell me if I can salvage the potting mix that has sat uncovered (my bad) since July 15th... Once I know about the mix, I can sow the seeds for ALL my cole crops (mustards, turnips, spinach, collards, brussels sprouts, and cabbage). Also, maybe some more sugar snap peas, too!

Katiebear,
LMK about your washing machine project -- I have one in the yard that I spray painted and planted something else in. Might just try using it for the Sugar Snap peas! Not so much a self watering container though, because of the holes that allow the water to drain through...
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 13, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5666501

It's still in the low to mid 80's during the day and 60's at night.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5666743

Spinach does best in cooler weather like the 70's and always plant more seed in the EB than you need so you can allow for the ones that will not germinate. You will have to cull out to one per space. Refer to http://www.earthbox.com as to how many per EB as I think it is eight but I'm not sure but this I tell you it is fantastically delicious when picked and eaten ASAP and cut the bottom leaves and it keeps growing so, for me, it lasts a long time. Use 10-10-10 fertilizer or organic and enjoy! Oh, beware of leaf miners. Use organic bug spray or powder to discourage them but don't wait to long as they appear shortly after green growth.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 13, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5666879

Thanks Tplant. I'm going to do another box just in case. That way, I'll have some staggered. :)
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5667176

Hi Gymgirl! Yes - I usually go by what Dr. Randall says in his book. In fact, his chart says we can plant spinach ideally all of October and half-way through November. That cold snap we had made me get impatient!

Tplant, I'll wait a week or so and go re-plant the rest of the holes. Maybe the germination rate is low for spinach or I've got a bad batch. The way you describe the spinach regrowing is the way my lettuce harvest reproduced, so I'm excited about having spinach all winter, too!

I01 - your temps are similar to ours, except it's been above 70's overnight with a few in the high 50's/60's. I won't say when we usually get our first freeze, because you know that'll just jinx it and then we'd have one Nov. 1!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM
My EB garden (and more) BocaBob 121 Dec 11, 2008 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America