Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gingers: Miniscule ginger piece actually sprouting a tiny green leaf!

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 3, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2008
10:36 AM

Post #5579456

I was hesetant and rather an unbeliever when it came to the idea of a plant being grown from a regular ole grocers ginger.
Neverthe less, after reading this fact and learning some as a nee DGer, I had to try it myself.
Three little maybe 1" peices of ginger root from a local grocer, were planted. Those small pieces were broken off of some on larger root pieces and some were a little dried up.
I planted 'em anyway and now have just been greeted by a new leaf.
Here it is. I wantd to share it with you.

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rainydayze
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #5579472

Morning Birdie,

I planted grocery store ginger several years ago. Mine is in the ground and has spread quite a bit. It dies back every winter and returns in spring. I've never seen it bloom, maybe because I do use sections of the root for cooking. I've also raised horseradish, purchased from the same store.

Yolie
floridagardner
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5582821

Hello Birdie,

I to want to plant store ginger but was hesitant. Now that I've seen you've got it going think I'll give it a try. How long before you noticed the growth?? Does it matter which end of the ginger root to plant. Will let you know how I do.

Dorothy
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5584747

I put the entire piece just about 1/2" below the surface (causse it looks sort of like a corm (didn't have a clue if I was doing it right or not...but I got a plant growing in ? about 6 weeks or so. Of corse that was outside during summer. Don't know how inside conditions would effect it , or if it is winter hardy.
Oh and I sort of layed the piece horizontal (mine was onl about the size of a marble so there werrent really any "ends".

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America