Photo by Melody

Article: Earthworm Enemies: Hammerhead Worm in SoBayCa?

Communities > Forums > Article: Earthworm Enemies
bookmark
Forum: Article: Earthworm EnemiesReplies: 3, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LuvyDuvyRdnoBch
Redondo Beach, CA

September 21, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5581816

Today I caught a Hammerhead Worm, I've never seen or heard of such a parasite. Since they are such a danger to our earthworms, are we to notify any agriculture depts etc., etc? I noticed a list was provided on this site, stating where they have been reported(EX: Sacramento,CA had 2 reports) I'm basically in the beach area of Los Angeles County.

Could they have anything to do with almost my whole flower garden dying off rapidly(from calalillies/lavender/aloe veras/impatiens/charlies/succulants)...it's like they were blooming like crazy then suddenly all dried up and dead. Like we had a heat wave with no water.

My neighbor has a reverse osmosis watering filterization system for his house which requires bags of salt(like kosher-but larger)on the outside of his house. Which is close to our flower beds. I saw them washing down their driveway which consist with large amounts of old salt they were disguarding.

I instantly kept flushing my soil, due to their driveway is connected to my flower beds(which overflows into my flower beds) Could this salt contaminate the soil in its nutrients level to bring on these "Hammerhead Worms?"

Any records found in RE: to these worms harming domestic pets(cats/dogs)and/or if humans have had health issues if they have had any contacts with their enzyme fluids etc?

Best Regards~

=)

P.S. Ever heard of Gilmer,TX? Use to live there several years ago...It's Eastern TX, between Longview & Tyler,TX. Don't miss them darn FIREants::::::hee-hee::::::::
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5808597

Anyone have a picture of these things?
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5812978

Some good information on land planarians can be found here:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/land_planarians.htm

LuvyDuvy, I'd say your plant problems were a result of the salt exposure. At least, they weren't because of the planarians. I could find no cases where planarian enzymes were harmful to domestic animals. Apparently, planarians don't taste very good, so even birds and other worm-eating creatures leave them alone. They are cannibalistic, however, so as you find these, put 'em in a bucket and let them eat each other!

I've heard of Gilmer - it's lovely in East Texas!

nurseashley
Buellton, CA

October 7, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7142608

Luvy, Did you ever find out how to report the hammerhead worm in your area? I have seen a lot by my house...usually in the morning when it is misty or after sprinklers have been on. I used to think that they were earthworms and actually tried to save one one time..stupid now that I know they actually EAT earthworms, which are the "good guys." I seem to be the only one in my area who has seen these pests...maybe others have, but don't know that they are an infestation and so may not have reported them. Can you let me know where to go to report that they are in my area?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Earthworm Enemies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mosquitos and rain barrels rjuddharrison 5 Nov 9, 2007 12:57 AM
mosquitos bad-no mosquitos good? belfegor 1 Nov 19, 2008 3:14 PM
Land planaria - maybe??? slywlf 1 Aug 20, 2009 7:53 PM
bad, bad worm wormfood 2 Aug 11, 2009 7:20 AM
Pictures of flatworms, please leaflady 7 Aug 11, 2009 1:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America