Happy First Day of Autumn

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Stan has gone off to the woods to cut wood for the winter. It's sunny and cool, but the rest of the week is to have temps in the 70s and he's still in haying mode, so this morning is dedicated to winter, this afternoon and the rest of the week to summer.

I will probably do a little garden work later, maybe get some fabric painted and out in the sun. Hope you all have a lovely Equinox.

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good Morning,
Haven't crossed paths with you for a while.
We are just back from KY RU. What a party!
You were mentioned there & missed.

No frost here yet, so the garden is still going great guns. Market has been good this year.
Lots of cabinet work also.
We have the old barn all out of the way & gone. I started on the new greenhouse yesterday. It will be used as a high tunnel to raise early radishes, lettuce & cucumbers.

Have a Great Day!
Bernie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm glad you had a good trip - only wish we could have met you and Bertha. Sounds like you have a fall full of work ahead. I know that the old barns often need to come down, but it's always a little sad. At least you will be using the site for a new structure. Around here, there are some who just knock them down and bull-doze over the top and plant grass. It can seem a bit strange, having the landmarks gone.

Things here are at a stop - yesterday, Stan either broke his ankle or has a very bad sprain. It was one of those freak things, he was stepping down off the tractor yesterday and went down with a scream. We spent the afternoon getting xrays, etc. Today, a trip to town to get an aircast and some better crutches. The young man who normally milks a couple of times a week came this morning and will bring his younger brother over tonight as he milks for another farmer on Thursdays. Two of our Amish neighbors said they would take care of the weekend and our granddaughter will be here tonight, her brother on Saturday - he's the center for the JV football team, so is mostly otherwise engaged.

Stan is stressing over the wood that isn't split and in the basement yet, and I know he's thinking about the haying he might be doing - the barn is full, the lean-to is full, but the grass still grows and needs to be mowed. Farmers!

I am at a decided disadvantage. All the other times that Stan has been down, I've been able to do most of the chores, but no longer. It is a very strange feeling not to be able to get out there and do it. I will be turning cows out this morning, but that's one of the lowliest of the low jobs. I did do most of the pasture fence moving last night, and will again tonight. I guess my biggest chore will be keeping him down long enough to heal. He's been in the barn during chores both last night and this morning, but is still in enough pain that he's behaving. I'll be happy if I can get him through the weekend.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

You tell that husband of yours to take it easy.. or he will be laid up just that much longer.. Don't make me come to NY.. :)

We welcomed our 4th Grandchild in on the 24th. He was taken by C section a little early.. He was a whopping 4 lbs. 13 ozs. He is healthy , but is tiny.. He has attentive dedicated parents and will be fine.

Autumn is definitely here in Mid Missouri.. Wish I had more time to pick up the nuts.I can't seem to beat the squirrels to the pecans or hickory nuts, they are in the least interested in the black walnuts so far.

Still have large bales of hay to get in the barn.. My tractor had been in the shop. But, It's back and I'm ready to get busy.. I just need some down time from my busy family, tough work schedule, etc.

We still have some firewood left from last year.. That has never happened for us.. We are usually right at the end of our wood pile and that's almost all we heat with.. Also the Rural Electric guys cut down some trees under the electric lines.. Some of it I just need to bring up to the house.. My wood splitter has been watching a little too much tv and a little exercise wouldn't hurt him a bit. I should send my wood splitter to NY....

Bernie, That high tunnel for early lettuce , radishes and cucumbers sounds just great! You are so industrious.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

KJo, congratulations on the new grandson! Sounds like he's going to be a 'handful'.

The trees are turning like crazy. Every morning there's a little more color in the woods. This week has been a piece of summer, but today it is supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler and this week is forecast to be cool and rainy. Almost all of the corn grown for silage has been chopped this past week. There are a few fields that are left to combine, but more and more fields lie bare. The geese that were visiting our oat field have moved on to the harvested corn fields. Most of the geese around here are non-migratory, their parentage was domesticated Canada geese released in hopes to bring the population back up. We do get some migrating geese flying over, but these stay in the area through the winter, silly birds. There's a special non-migratroy goose season and our young helpers have been out goose hunting every chance they get. The season started Sept. 1, so they were here for the first day and got 8 geese. They have moved on to the corn fields now, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images