Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Christmas present for daughter-in-law

Murfreesboro, TN

I am looking for an unusual houseplant for my daughter-in-law. They live in a condo with east and west facing windows. I would like something showy. Any suggestions would be great.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

African violet
Cape primrose
Clivia miniata

Medford, NJ

how about a variegated hoya carnosa? You can find them at Home Depot. Beautiful, easy to care for, don't mind so much if you forget to water, and in a few years with good light they bloom these awesome looking spurs of flowers. They do best in hanging baskets, as they have trailing vines.

PS - the carnosa is the one on the top left, with the white leaves.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2009 7:35 AM

Thumbnail by jmp24
Fort Worth, TX

i agree with the second post, african violets are beautiful!! and do great with the conditions you are considering

Highgrove, CA

i have an african violet in my living room, and boy it makes the whole house! i love it.

Jinan, China

Despite the recent price correction, China Resources Cement Holdings Ltd, a unit of China Resources (Holdings) Co, said it expects that buoyant demand for cement and concrete on the mainland will remain for the rest of the year due to economic growth and fixed asset investment (FAI).
The company also reported on Monday that its net profit for the first half to June 30 more than doubled to HK$2.05 billion.
Zhou Longshan, chief executive officer of China Resources Cement, said he expects cement prices to rise another 15 to 20 percent for the rest of the year, as the fourth quarter is traditionally the peak season for cement sales, and power shortage in provinces such as Guangxi will stoke prices due to a lack of supply.
Building materials, according to China Resources' Zhou, showed strong upward momentum in selling prices in the first half. Prices of cement, clinker and concrete rose 21.2 percent, 19.4 percent and 16.5 percent to HK$371.7, HK$301.5 per metric ton and HK$348.0 per cubic meter respectively for the first six months in 2011 over the same period a year earlier.
The company sold a total of 19.4 million tons of cement, 2.3 million tons of clinker and 6.2 million cubic meters of concrete during the first half of 2011, representing year-on-year growth of 75.5 percent, 35.2 percent and 44.8 percent from last year.
Strong domestic demand and the climbing selling prices helped China Resources Cement to post a net profit of HK$2.05 billion or HK$0.31 per share for the six months ended June 30, 2011, up 236.8 percent from HK$607.2 million or HK$0.09 per share a year earlier, according to a statement to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on Friday night.
The company also declared an interim dividend of five Hong Kong cents per share, whereas it did not pay one during the same period in 2010.
Restrictions on the approval on the construction of new clinker production lines and tightened entry conditions for the cement industry will further strengthen the consolidation of the cement industry on the mainland, Zhou said, adding that it will also speed up the elimination of technologically-outdated competitors and benefit large market players such as China Resources Cement.
The relatively stable coal prices in the market, on the other hand, will also help the company achieve an increased profit margin, said Zhou. For the first six months in 2011, its net margin has improved 8.5 percentage points to stand at 21.2 percent, compared with the 12.7 percent net margin over the same period last year.
Shares of China Resources Cement closed at HK$7.17 in Hong Kong trading on Monday, up HK$0.57 or 8.64 percent from its previous session.
From www.shuinijiaoyi.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.