Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Relaxing weekend

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Last Friday was my birthday and DH and DGS and I celebrated with our favorite activities, camping and trail riding. We took 3 of our horses and went to a trail riding campout sponsored by a saddle club not far from us. We stayed over night and took a 12 mile ride through the timber in the mountains. It was along a lake most of the way so it stayed cool. We had a great time.

We got a new horse trailer that has a small living quarters on it. It also has an awning ( that we have not figured out how to unroll LOL ). We bought it used so we are on our own with it. We just stretched out a huge tarp over the whole trailer and made a big shaded area in front. It was nice. It's really nice not having to put our tent up after dark. We could have been doing it in the daylight but we always ride until the last possible moment. :)

Here is a pic of us at the trail head. DH is riding his Kentucky Mountain Pleasure Horse. Her name is Cafe' Au Lait but we call her Coffee. She is 6 years old and is a racking horse. DGS is riding our TWH mare. Her name is Ebony's Chocolate Beauty but we call her Godiva. She is 16 years old and DGS is 7 years old. I was riding our youngest horse. He is a 4 year old TWH named Al Scramooza but we call him Nutty Buddy. He is a bit jumpy but he did well over all.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am sooo envious!! LOL

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

There are many more ways to be rich than just money. We don't have a lot of that but we have lots of what really makes life good.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Yep.

Cute pic of the bunny. :~)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ok I too like the smell of manure but do you clean out the horse trailer when you arrive. LOL You are doing what most people only hope and dream of.

People like me. LOL.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It has a living quarters on the front, small kitchenette and queen sized bed, and the door through to the horse compartment seals out the smell. But we usually do rake it out when we unload because that is where we set up our saw dust toilet.

I didn't think the rabbit would actually eat the popsicle but she loved it.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Turns out the rabbit is a he. Good thing it was named Apple. That can go for either sex.

We have not been able to ride much lately because of the weather. The horses are getting fat and rearing to go.

DH bought me the best Christmas gift ever. A pony with a cart and harness. The pony is a little chocolate gelding with a silver mane and tail. His name is Max and he is as sweet as sugar and cuter than cute. I have taken him out once and had a blast. Really looking forward to Spring jaunts in my new rig!

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You lucky girl!!!!! What a wonderful Christmas gift. I bet Knock loves him too. He will probably want to drive that little cart all over the place. Happy New Year.

You can always drive him over here. LOLOL!!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey friend,
As soon as I get my pictures uploaded to photobucket I will post on TGP about my new little guy.

Did you have a good Christmas? Ours was very good. We had company from home. Knew DD was coming up but suprised us by bringing my folks with her. We had a great time together. Hope they make it a tradition. Actually, Momma and Poppa are talking about moving up here in a couple of years. They really like it here.

How about those Tigers!!!! I'm sure I heard your DH cheering. LOL Our DD got her dad a hat autographed by Les Myles and a football autographed by the whole team. Talk about a happy camper!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have got to do something with that mane. I definetly have to cut him a bridle path. Don't know what I will do with his forelock. I think I'll MTG his mane as it looks a bit dry. Then after a week or so I may braid it. It gets caught up in the rigging.

Or you could just give him a horsie mohawk. They always look cool on horses.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

No way I'm cutting off that gorgeous silver mane. I may show him in pony halter and it will really go well with the judges.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Good deal, Cajun. I will look forward to seeing a lot of pics of that darling pony. Maybe you can even put Knock in the driving seat and take his picture too.

Our Christmas was one of the best we have ever had. All the puzzle pieces went together just wonderfully this year and nothing interfered with our having a great family Christmas. Not even one little virus or illness attacked anyone which is a rarity with a lot of kids in the family.

I think that is just grand that you had your daughter and your parents there with you for Christmas. What a lovely surprise for everyone.

Yep, my DH was in a state of football bliss over "them Tigers". If we ever get up your way to visit, ya better hid those new autographed treasures from my hubby. He is not a thief but there is no need in tempting him to be one. :>.)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I will consider myself warned! LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

"To be forewarned is to be 4 armed......but who the heck needs 4 arms?" Boy! I couldn't resist typing that old pun. Tee hee! It is gonna be a LONG day!

LOL!! There are times I could use 4 arms but usually I'm happy with the 2 I've got.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

We would look rather silly, a human centipede. Maybe we could get a job as a window washer or something that takes a lot of arm power.

I was a custodian for 10 yrs and one of my main jobs these last 2 yrs was to clean windows. Huge windows. I got them so clean people would walk straight into to them. It was always funny to watch.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Kind of like the ad on TV where the birds are laughing at the people walking into the really clean glass doors. I don't have that problem at my house. I could use a good 4 armed cleaning person around here.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I could use 4, armed, cleaning people. LOL

We have only one clean window on my house and my dad cleaned it so I could take pics of the birds. Then all the birds tried to get into the house cause they could see the wondering jew and a few other plants we keep right there. LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Cajun, I think we have hijacked your thread. Sorry! This just gets wilder and wilder with birds trying to come in the house because of the clean windows. Do you think they might be related to the birds in the ad from TV? I think I will just stick to my dirty windows because we really don't need a bunch of crazed birds inhabiting the house.

Just clean your windows a couple times a year so that you can see out of them but that's really all you need to worry about doing. I live on a gravel road so keeping our windows clean is impossible.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Clean windows are not important to me. I'm not inside much anyway. Now a clean barn is a different story!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

It is nice seeing out occasionally but not worth the effort to keep them spotless. When I strike oil, I will hire someone to keep them sparkling clean. In the meantime, I will wipe a clear spot when I want to take a picture of the birds or the dogs. LOL!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Great minds think alike! LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Aren't we something? Something special, that is!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Did you guys have watchnight service at your church?
Ours was great. I had a migraine all day but I went anyway. We did an encore of our Christmas play. I also signed for the song service.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes we did but we didn't get to go because that is the time that my son and his family come to be with us for Christmas. I miss going to that service but time changes things and we have to learn to float with the change.

I didn't know that you do sign language. My oldest daughter did that for many years at several churches. Due to a terrible chronic cough that doctors have never managed to stop for her, she had to give it up. Nobody wants to see the interpreter have to stop interpreting the service because of a coughing fit. She taught both of her daughters sign language and they could both communicate with her using signs before they could even speak.

Thumbnail by Elena
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is such a shame. Do they have any idea what may be causing the cough?

I have only been signing for about a year. I'm not great at it but I really enjoy it. We have a deaf man who comes to our church.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Lynn's favorite thing to do was the music. She always looked like an angel when she did that because you could just see her love for the Lord and the music glowing in her eyes and on her face.

Nope! No one had been able to help her and she has been to many doctors.

I did study sign language a bit when she would teach classes at church but I never did get very good at it. I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time so doing sign language well would have been a true miracle somewhat like the parting of the Red Sea for me.

I used to do only sing language in kindergarden and some of it has stuck with me to this day. Mainly letters, a few words and a few numbers. It's very hard to relearn. So I just try to maintain what I remember.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Like any language, when you don't use it, you usually don't retain much of it.

Yeah, I had to quit using it in first grade because my mom doesn't know sign language and she knew I could talk and wanted me to talk. So I slowly forgot it and relearned to talk again. Then in middle school my IEP manager tried to get me to relearn it and to be a part of the deaf world again. It wasn't very successful but I did pick up a few more words.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

To be perfectly honest with you, I think that a person is much better off not being a part of the deaf world totally. I feel that it handicaps them even further isolating themselves into one community. My mother was badly hearing impaired from early childhood and there was no such thing back then as a deaf community. She was forced to live and function in a hearing world and did quite well at it. She read lips quite well and as long as we or anyone else would look directly at her and talk, she was fine. She became a teacher to hearing children in a one room country school house after she graduated from high school. way back then. Her hearing impairment never isolated her and that is one thing I haven't seen in the hearing impaired who stick totally to their deaf world. I remember the deaf of our acquaintance getting really annoyed at deaf Miss America, Heather Whitestone for not isolating herself into the deaf world. I think that she showed the world that she could do quite well as a hearing handicapped person in a hearing world. http://deafness.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=deafness&cdn=health&tm=77&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p736.8.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.heatherwhitestone.com/

Academy aware winner Marlee Matlin also has done quite well in the hearing world.
The picture is of the one room school house where my mother attended school and taught. This is what the school house looks like today.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2009 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by Elena
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is a very interesting story, Merrijo. Your Mom must have been quite a lady. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you know. You are pretty terrific yourself.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 3:57 PM

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Glad you enjoyed it, Cajun. Thanks for the compliment. You are one terrific gal yourself. We must be members of a mutual admiration society. :>)

We have really traveled quite a ways from camping, hiking and boating, haven't we?

That we have. lol. I agree with Cajun, that was a very interesting story. I enjoyed it. :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.