hyacinth bulbs

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

are these bulbs perennial? do they multiply and come back year after year?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Debi
Yes they will; after they are done blooming leave the foilage alone until it dies back. The leaves photosysthesize and the bulbs store energy for the next season. When the foilage turns brown you can cut it back.
This applies for tulips and daffs as well.
Hope this helps

Paul

Bayonne, NJ(Zone 6a)

I was told the grape hyacinth multiply but not the hyacinth (the ones that smell) Was I misled?

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

I haven't gotten any new bulbs from mine. Just my experience

From my experience and have both,they both
multiply' Yes they are both perennials' Sis'

Boston, MA

Hi,

As a Dutch bulbgrower I would normally not tell people that hyacinths multiply every year. Regular Hyacinths are very hard to multiply. On our bulbfarms we use special techniques to multiply our hyacinths. With special knifes we scoop out the bottom of the hyacinths and new, small bulbs will appear in the wholes after one year planting.
Also, A hyacinth is not very easy to keep as perennial, but probably it depends on your climate. In a warmer zone, a hyacinth will be easier to keep as in a colder zone.

Regards,

[email protected]

Perhaps I unintentially have misled someone
with my post. I can only speak for "my
hyacinths here"

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

As a note to what fb just said...I read that hyacinths can propagate bulbetts (sp) under certain/very ideal circumstances, and this is usually done by scoring the bottom of the bulb like cutting pizza or digging out a small indentation on the bottom of the bulb. The notched area is where the little bulbs would grow. Grape hyacinths multiply rapidly by themselves.
Trish

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Paul...I forgot to mention...I was talking with my new neighbor today, after she approached me while I was gathering some seeds out front. Bless her heart, in her ambition to get the garden going for the fall, she cut down all of her cannas in full bloom, all of her perennials in bloom and planted about 100 assorted spring bulbs NOW...ouch! It's so important to give those bulbs some remaining grow time after they've bloomed and to cut them down at the right time so they can have the energy for the next year...glad you mentioned it above :)
Trish

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

My Hyacinths are in their first year and are in full bloom. We are expecting high winds (58+) tonight and then snow. Should I cover up my beautiful purple Hyacinths or will a plastic cover mash them down if the snow piles up? I thought I'd use some 2' stakes in 5 places then cover them with clear plastic, held down on edges with rocks0. I'm hoping to hear that they will survive if left alone since they are fully opened now.

Thumbnail by pioneerwoman
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Ouch. pioneerwoman, ---Will be interested to read the recommendations for your pretty hyacinths!

I suppose you will have to rig something up that won't blow away and do the best you can. Usually they say upside down bushel baskets (who still has those?) or some such contraption. We are going to have some cold here, but not the snow/wind so I thought I could protect with some upside down flower pots and beach towels on some of my fragile blooms.

BTW, Where is Rogers, Ohio? Sounds like up north. Lots of Luck! t.

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

Tabasco, Rogers, OH is in the triangle of Ohio,, WVA and PA. On a map, we are to the left of Pittsburg. Thanks for the reply. I just took photos of the bulbs in case I lose them to the wind/snow. The I might try the flower pots on top of some held down by rocks.

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

What's the real scoop on "paper bag" chilling?

I have always forced my Dutch hyacinths in bulb vases. I let them root in this vase in the refrigerator for 12-16 weeks, which produces marvelous flowers.

The paper bag process sounds so much easier, but someone I spoke with said his hyacinths never perform well when not allowed grow roots in the fridge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images