Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: are all yam leaves eatable?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
youngman
Beverly Hills, CA

September 24, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5595168

I just found out that yam leaves are eatable, so I plan to buy some yam from the supermarket, and grow them myself. ;)

I wonder if I can just grow any kinds and eat their leaves? Are potato leaves eatable as well?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5595553

Don't know about Yams (Dioscorea batatas ) as they are a tropical plant. Most references are to the use of the roots. Vines of the sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) are edible and popular in Asia. Like every thing else young tender leaves and shoots are best. Irish potato leaves and stems (Solanum tuberosum) are mildly toxic. Don't know anyone who has tried them but they probably taste bad.
Les_Cooper
Brazoria, TX

October 5, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5634008

21. Potato (Solanum tuberosum) has tubers that are great to eat but the leaves have a lot of slightly poisonous alkaloids in them. This is the case with many plants in the nightshade family (potato, eggplant, green pepper, tomato). In some countries, varieties of potato have more alkaloids in them than are allowed by law in the U.S.A., and green parts of these kinds of potatoes can make one pretty sick if eaten.
http://www.sciencebuff.org/some_poisonous_native_and_cultivated_plants.php

Les

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America