Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening: are all yam leaves eatable?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
Beverly Hills, CA

September 24, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5595168

I just found out that yam leaves are eatable, so I plan to buy some yam from the supermarket, and grow them myself. ;)

I wonder if I can just grow any kinds and eat their leaves? Are potato leaves eatable as well?
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5595553

Don't know about Yams (Dioscorea batatas ) as they are a tropical plant. Most references are to the use of the roots. Vines of the sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) are edible and popular in Asia. Like every thing else young tender leaves and shoots are best. Irish potato leaves and stems (Solanum tuberosum) are mildly toxic. Don't know anyone who has tried them but they probably taste bad.
Brazoria, TX

October 5, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5634008

21. Potato (Solanum tuberosum) has tubers that are great to eat but the leaves have a lot of slightly poisonous alkaloids in them. This is the case with many plants in the nightshade family (potato, eggplant, green pepper, tomato). In some countries, varieties of potato have more alkaloids in them than are allowed by law in the U.S.A., and green parts of these kinds of potatoes can make one pretty sick if eaten.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America