Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Do You Name Your Beds?

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 102, Views: 694
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5595525

ok everyone fess up ^_^ This started on the DBG Sale & Gathering Thread. Here are the posts from CK, lisabees and moi to date.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5595428
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5595493
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5595498

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:52 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:55 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:55 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:57 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:58 PM
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #5595773

That's not the post where I mentioned my bed names, but that's OK, since they don't have creative names anyway :0).
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5595798

oops LMBO lisabees cuz the Edit Guy has banned me from editing for the rest of the day (WHO KNEW there was an edit guy? :O) I'll fix it tomorrow. Thanks.
Colorado_Karen
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5595808

Thanks for doing this, Dahl! I agree with Lisa... you have great names for your beds!

You should have heard David and I try to figure out what to call them when we started clearing the first beds last fall.

"I want to buy lots of daffodils for the front bed."
"You mean the bed at the front of the yard?"
"No! I mean the bed at the front of the house!"
"You mean the bed where we planted the crocus next to the front walkway?"
"No! I mean the bed at the front, next to the house!"
"Is that the hydrangea bed?"
"No! That's the hellebore bed! We don't have any hydrangeas (yet)."
"We have hellebores? What do they look like?"

sheesh... :)
Colorado_Karen
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5595825

I know there's an edit guy. I came *this* close to cussing once, and one of my posts got the snippage. So I'm not saying NUTTIN. And that was a WAVE, o-k?
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5595882

Ha ha Karen! I have a front bed AND a front border + the South border is also in the front. Tomorrow we're digging out the grass on the other side of the front yard - what will I call that?! We already have a North border in the back yard! But since we linked it up with the back border, it's both north and West now - so that's in dispute too.

Maybe we just should have kept the lawn. NOT!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5595956

I started the names for the same reason. It got too confusing with all the 'norths' I was calling beds. My DH just rolls his eyes now but he knows where I mean (I think). I like your idea CK re: the hellebores. Perhaps I will call one unnamed bed the 'Cauliflower plant' bed cuz that's what he called the sedum 'Autumn Joy' yesterday and there is one in that bed.
Colorado_Karen
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5595968

lolol Lisa... and I am sooooo jealous that you get to 'work' in the yard tomorrow!

Oh wow, I've read your post about 6 times, and I am completely confused by your beds!

1. Front bed
2. Front border
3. Front south border
4. Back north border--now back north/west border
5. New one on the other side of the front yard: *priceless*
Colorado_Karen
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5596019

Cauliflower plant?! He has got to be related to my dearest love. I adore sedum, and there we were on Saturday, face to face with mound after mound of gorgeous blooming Autumn Joy, and my dear heart, the love of my life, my soul mate in all things gardening, says "Nothing special." How can anyone not like Autumn Joy???

I'm gonna get him back, 'though. I have a package of ornamental kale and cabbage seeds. Just need to come up with really cool fake names for them, like "Heart of Persia Plant" or "Moons of Jupiter Plant." You see me posting that kinda stuff, you'll know I got him GOOD.
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5596053

Wow, I feel so special Karen - you read my post 6 times? Just come up here & I'll show you around - we'll get it all sorted out for you :0).
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5596208

Colorado Karen,
Buy some purple, yellow, orange and green cauliflower! He will be thrilled and so will you! It is gorgeous. And I agree on the ornamental kale and cabbage. I have grown those for years.
And don't forget Rainbow Chard! It is beautiful and delicious!

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 8:59 PM
SnowlineRose
Bend, OR
(Zone 4b)

September 25, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #5599212

Sounds like y'all had a fabulous time at DBG. Congrats on your new plant acquisitions and continued friendships. I can tell that this is a super-special group of gardeners.

When I saw this thread I couldn't resist - I have names for all of my beds, many assoc with the biggest tree in the bed: Bechtel, Maple, Aspen, Pear, Rec Room, Grandma's, Woodland, Kitchen, Bird Feeder, Drystack, Orchard, Upper Lawn, West Bank, and Boulder Field. (Lots of beds! One of my DH's favorite hobbies is removing chunks o' lawn.) I keep my plant records in an Excel spreadsheet (about as nerdy as a girl can get, eh?) and use the bed names to tryyyy to keep everything straight. ;)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5599245

LOL I like 'Boulder Field'
TrishaG
Englewood, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5609419

Oh, this is a fun thread to read! I have berms and a dry stream bed in my garden, so some planting areas get names based on those. There's the north bank, the northwest bank, the northwest berm, the southwest berm, the front borders (on either side of the front door), the south garden, the vegetable garden, the patio garden, the apple tree garden, the aspen tree garden, the shady berm, the hellstrip (southeast by the sidewalk), the rose border, the nursery bed, and my favorite name -- the Clothesline Paver Garden! I have one of those umbrella-type clotheslines outside my back door, and the previous owners had carpeted the area with sod. The grass died not long after I moved in, and I discovered that they had done no soil prep -- clay and rocks. I amended the soil, put pavers around the clothesline with wooly thyme planted between, and planted various perennials around the edges. It's my newest garden area, and I'm very pleased with it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2008
6:16 AM

Post #5611871

Oh, you all are so creative! I never thought of naming my flower beds anythink interesting. I am going to have to work on that!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 29, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5613069

What a great idea TrishaG to enhance a practical feature in the garden!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5613183

Well, I have descriptive names like front flower bed north of front sidewalk Tier 1. or 2 or3. Then I have front yard south of driveway and front patio. And of course the raised veggie beds and the lily-herb beds. But I need to think up something more interesting. Where all my potted perennials wait to be planted is called the "pot ghetto" -- not not that kind of pot. I got that term from the hydrangea forum.
Right now all of my plants anywhere near the house have been flattened by the stucco guys, but I think they will recover. Boy, having workmen in your yard for 3 solid weeks is as bad as a hurricaine. Plants are just carpeting to them.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 29, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5613810

Too funny 'pot ghetto'. I think it looks ok from the pic you posted paj. Howbout 'pot burb'? I'm very, very afraid of what the paver dudes are going to do when they put in the new patio next summer. Maybe I'll put up electric fencing around those beds so they get zapped if they're bad. :O I've just turned into a mama bear :O
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #5613910

I like the idea of electric fencing. Unfortunately these guys had to get right up to the house to work so I couldn't keep them out of the foundation planting. But I noticed that even things they didn't have to step on got stepped on.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 29, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5613934

Sometimes they can't help the trampling if they have to actually work standing in the bed. I put punji stakes in the surrounding beds when the garden shed was re-roofed and only a couple of things were trampled. (of course they weren't really punji stakes but it made them nervous.)
TrishaG
Englewood, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5618836

I feel for ya, paj! I had my roof done last fall, and I had some trampled areas. I tried to contain the destruction, but didn't anticipate some things. I have a flat roof, and they pulled off all the old tar and gravel. Sometimes it just crumbled, and I've got bits of tar and gravel in all the planting areas close to the house.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5619487

They promised to finish and clean up by the end of the week. Then I can start trying to rescue the trampled plants.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

October 5, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #5634476

Well you may think me morbid but I have a pet in each one of my beds. (buried of course) We have a Moose, Maddie, Sophie, Larry, and Badger beds. But they have been renamed after previous names. Waiting for pets are our Seattle, Woodland, Elk, Garden, Fir tree, Ponderosa tree, Driveway, Roadside and Garden shed beds. All of our trees (that we have planted) have name of all of our family members. Like Tomi and Doug (side by side) Lynn and Dean (on opposite sides of lawn), and so forth for families who get along and who don't. This is the construction of Moose's bed.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5635602

Ah, the mystery of the moose bed is solved! Very pretty. I have never been very good at naming things. This gives me some ideas.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5636130

I think that's a wonderful idea soferdig.
KathyCoRanch
Laporte, CO
(Zone 4b)

October 9, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #5649780

Great thread! My beds haven't been in long enough to really earn names yet- but I do have a couple:
The woodland garden
The Propane tank garden
Sydney's garden
The Rock garden
The Columbine bed
The Bulb bed (for lack of a better name)
The stepped beds

I guess I think of those other areas as separate gardens - maybe because they are fairly large and I am trying to do different things in each of them.

Love your Moose garden Soferdig. Very nice idea.

Kathy
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5649868

OK, I get a funny visual for "propane tank garden" :0).
KathyCoRanch
Laporte, CO
(Zone 4b)

October 9, 2008
5:23 AM

Post #5649883

It was probably the ugliest place on the whole property and in full view of anyone approaching the house and walking up to the door- so I had to do something! It is where I have a big buch of cosmos blooming now.

Thumbnail by KathyCoRanch

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5650606

Nice cosmos and chamisa. They draw one's eye away from the propane tank.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5650823

Look at all that land sigh. Luvly.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5651888

Yes, lisabees, a propane tank garden. All these big vines with propane tanks of all sizes hanging off them and turning from green to pale green to glowing white fully mature propane tanks -- kind of like sausage shaped white pumpkins.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5652001

LMBO!!! Paj have you smokin/eatin funny herbs? Propane pumpkins (snort).
KathyCoRanch
Laporte, CO
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2008
6:49 AM

Post #5654109

Well- it would be cute if they would stay little-LOL!
It is kind of funny- if you stand on the far side of the propane tank- you can lean up against it and put your feet on the retaining wall and it is a very comfy spot to just look at the flowers-LOL! My kids are constantly playing submarine/ships on it, so it is a nice place for us to 'hang out' now. The kitties usually join us too- but it is funny when they miss the jump up and slide back down.
I have small things growing right along the wall, so you have to go around the tank to see them. I just need a large shrub out in front of it to partially block just the tank. Maybe another lilac there?
Ah Dahlia- it is nice land- but right there is a nasty little wind tunnel in fall, winter and early spring. (I have 3 blue spruce panted and they are doing well, but it will be 8-10 years before they are doing anything about that.) Sometimes 80 mph- blows the cars doors hard enough to hurt you, and I have to hold them open them for the kiddoes. I sure hope all stays ok there this winter.

Kathy

Here is the far side of that same garden- I have daylilies planted all around it now, from our church. (You can barely see them)

Thumbnail by KathyCoRanch

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5655003

Very nice and very good fencing job, KathyCoRanch. I like the idea of a lilac in front of the tank. Every garden needs at least one lilac.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5655927

Nice visual Paj. I was thinking four columnar junipers one on each end and two in the center tilted to make the letter 'W' to hide it in rememberence of 'Geo. W'. LOL
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5657188

Yeah, I don't think any of us will need anything to remind us of George W.. He will now be etched in our memories for life. I will leave it at that.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5736217

And how appropriate that it is in front of a large container of GAS
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5736795

You said it meezersfive! LOL.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

November 1, 2008
4:04 AM

Post #5739129

How sad that our president of 8 years leaves us with such distain. I wouldn't do the job.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2008
6:58 AM

Post #5739381

It is very sad indeed.
mulchmania
Ennis, MT
(Zone 4a)

November 1, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #5740693

I just read this thread, which is a hoot. Personally I would like to retroactively vote for Sofer for prez 8 years ago...

No need to go too easy on construction people trampling plants. Most of them absolutely do not care. Back in Canada I was getting the back yard going at a new house and they were still working on lots around me. I walked out one day to find the jerk with the tractor who had once again driven it through my garden.

He had the nerve to tell me he had not, with the tractor tire prints leading across my best tomato plant right up to his tire. I threw him off the property permanently.

My gardens are the Big Rectagle (around 1700 square feet), the Big Triangle ( a bit smaller than the Big Rectangle), the Big Round (probably a little bigger than the Big Rectangle), the Serpentine (I have no idea how large, runs across the front of our second lot and partly into the house lot), the Front Hollyhock Beds, the Raised Stone Bed, the Crabapple Bed, a wholly unnamed second crabapple bed, the Chokecherry Bed, the Raised Bed at Shed, and the Back Trees, a deep band of shrubs, trees, perennials, bulbs, and a few annuals across the back of the house lot.

Now defunct is my favorite name (but not my favorite bed), the Dog Run. When we moved here, there was a ratty dog run in place. The dogs hated it. So I simply grew tulips, and other things in there the deer could not reach to eat. The ground is not good right there, a bit rocky. Eventually we tore down the dog run when we fenced that side of the property, but the name stuck. Bern began mowing it a couple of years ago when I was overwhelmed with the book.

It still has a couple of oriental poppies, flax, a delphinium, and a few geraniums valiantly growing in the grass. And, right now a blooming crocus, which is terribly confused.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5740801

Most of our beds have useless names...the Front Berm, the Tree Berm, the Side Bed, the Other Side bed, No Not that Bed, the Garage Bed, The Other Garage Bed, the Septic Tank Bed, the Around the Septic Tank Bed, the Fruit Tree Bed, the Poison/Cemetery Bed, (black walnut trees kill almost everything and we plant our pets there as their final resting place.) and several small corner or triangle beds that we just point at. We are perpetually confused. Intended to name them all when we started them, but got distracted. Some are called No, Not That One.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5740936

Mulch, that confused crocus may actually be a fall crocus. There is a whole set of crocus that bloom in the fall. See:

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/genus.php?genusid=13

The picture is all fall crocuses. They have a different page for spring crocuses. Your crocus may know exactly when it is supposed to bloom. Nice time for them I would say -- after almost everything else is dead.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5740951

Mulch, that confused crocus may actually be a fall crocus. There is a whole set of crocus that bloom in the fall. See:

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/genus.php?genusid=13

The picture is all fall crocuses. They have a different page for spring crocuses. Your crocus may know exactly when it is supposed to bloom. Nice time for them I would say -- after almost everything else is dead.

Come to think of it, the reason i don't name my beds is that my husband could care less what bed I am talking about. The only thing I use the names for is for labeling the directories where I put photos of them. I never tell my husband to go out and look at the front flower bed. He wouldn't have a clue what that meant and if I told him he would forget it the next day.

The only flowers he notices are the ones I have given to him on opening nights of plays. He always likes those, but the first time, he got some he just looked confused. Flowers. Why are you handing them to me? I have him trained now to say "Thank you." and "They are pretty." If I put flowers in a vase and they die and I don't throw them away he doesn't even notice.

In the area of flowers, I don't think his mother raised him right.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 1, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5741429

You have good names Mulch. Meezer I like it! 'No Not that Bed' tee hee. Paj, training is sometimes necessary and I work with the flow when I can. Sedums are allowed to be 'cauliflower plants' here and I respect nomenclature like 'the yellow ones' . Its all good when the grass is dug up and the compost is stirred ^_^ I have 2 new ones now called 'the tulip patch' and the 'step down' bed. They will be combined next year and I will have to think of a luvly new name although I'm rather fond of the 'step down' bed. Birdies the Bulbous Queen give me some incredible rhubarb leaf stepping stones. One big one will be a focus in the 'step down bed' which is off the new deck.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2008 5:22 PM
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5741451

Rhubarb leave stepping stones sound gorgeous. Perhaps you could post a picture. Where did she find such treasures?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 1, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5741463

She made them :O :O :O I told them she was nuts to give them to me but they are heavy to move. I will take a few pics tomorrow while I continue with the annual spreading of the poop.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5741484

Oh, I can't wait to see them. Hope she will tell us how she did it!
The spreading of the poop. I need to do that too, but first I must do the collecting of the poop and the hauling of the poop and the composting of the poop. Boy, I better get busy.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

November 2, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5742132

I sit with my DW almost every day and discuss what has arisen or colored up or changed in each of the beds so names are very important to us. Today we shared the entire day collecting and shredding alfalfa that was moldy from a horse ranch. Free of course and now I bet I have a 5 yard pile of alfalfa that will be my free nitrogen source when it top dress all of my beds next year. It will compost to cook out the seeds and get ready to be used in plants next year. I can hardly move. 15 bales of alfalfa shredded with my debris loader.
mulchmania
Ennis, MT
(Zone 4a)

November 2, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5742227

Paj, just listening to you I am already pooped!

I suppose maybe it is a fall crocus, but they sure were supposed to be spring crocus when I planted them. Just in the Dog Run every once in awhile one blooms at some absurd time and then dies. Does not ever come back. I still suspect deranged spring crocus, but don't really know. Hardly any left now.

Bern was astonished when I was doing the fifty different flowers for the book. I would start painting something and he would either ask what it was or where I got it. When I told him I had grown it in the yard he would look amazed. "You did?!?" I did.

That is why he is dangerous watering. He sees things as a mass of plants, not as individuals which all need their own share...

I did finish mulching the Big Rectangle today. Too bad about all the rest...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5745184

Soferdig that is a big chore but there will be big pay off. Paj here are the smaller stepping stones which I have arranged in a path at the moment. Kinda mucky from planting bulbous things today.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5745208

Here are the big ones. I put them by a bale of mix so you can see the size. I want to use the one on the right as a focal point in the 'step down bed'. The one on the left I'm thinking I will put under the new fabby arbour. The humongous one I still mulling about.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5745222

O and totally OT here is a sunset from a few nights ago just cuz its prettiful

Thumbnail by dahlianut

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5745252

Oh those stones are gorgeous. Birdies should go into the business of making them for sale. People would pay serious money for stuff like that. Like maybe even me if I didn't have to pay freight. Do you have any idea how she did it? They are enough to make me grow rhubarb.

And I love your sunset picture.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5745289

I will ask. She's amazing. Built a 50' x 3' retaining wall out of river rock which she hauled hereself and cement. It's amazing!!! I know she had to work out the cement mix a bit for the steppers.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5745310

Here is a picture from my front patio, but the trees are growing on the top tier of my front yard terraced bed. See what I mean about boring names? But the fall colors are great. The red tree is a purple-leaf plum and the yellow one is an aspen. The green ones are, of course, Ponderosa Pine.
I didn't think much of either the purple-leaf plum or the aspen when I moved in. But now, almost 11 years later, i have come to enjoy them both enormously. This year a neighbor hinted that she would like me to cut down the aspen, because it shades her roses. She is a very nice neighbor, but I told her I didn't want to cut it down. Her roses are gorgeous! I don't know why she is worried. I have a hollyhock coming up on my side of the roses now and I will bet money that she will want me to cut it down next year. Of course, it is a volunteer from her own hollyhocks elsewhere in her yard. But my holly hock is on the South side of her roses and will shade them a tiny bit. But I bet, even that won't hurt them.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5745315

I do hope you can find out. They are real masterpieces. She should be selling them commercially. Is she moving far from you?

Love your sunset picture!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 5:45 PM
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5745335

Oops, after all that I forgot the picture.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5745374

Great colour paj! She's moving about 200 hundred miles away which isn't really far but it seems really far (sniff). Birdies has her own small seed business and is dedicated to an entire basement full of wild South African bulbous things. The cement work is just a whim LOL. She kills me. You should see the crevice garden she built. Turned her whole front into an alpine crevice garden. When I grow up I want to be Birdies ^_^
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5745389

She sounds like a very special person. You will still be able to see her from time to time if she is only 200 miles away. For me that is halfway to Denver, almost. I get to Denver for Denver Botanic Garden Sales every now and then. But I agree. it isn't the same as having her in the same town. She clearly is an outstanding gardener and artist.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

November 3, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5748137

Are the leaves in Hypertufa or concrete. Love them. I think I shall try such ones with my big leaves to see how to get them to turn out. I want mine to have water holding capacity so I can attract butterflies to mud areas throughout the garden. I'll have to push on the edges to get them to point up.
PJ I had a neighbor who clear cut his entire property and had a fit when I removed some Douglas Firs (small) to plant deciduous replacements. I simply told him that he could have purchased the property also. Now that the trees have filled in the gaps he is happy. But there was severe tension for a long time.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5748188

Concrete soferdig. I have to get my DH to move the big ones for me.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 5, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5756347

Soferdig if you mold them over a large container( shallow basin style) or a pile of sand you will get a shape that will hold water.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

November 6, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #5756890

Yes it sounds like to dig a hole then mound up the center and lay the leaf over the mound then pour the concrete. What do you think?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5756943

Probably work fine - the leaf should be wrapped in plastic so dirt or sand will not stick.

http://www.comfycountrycreations.com/rhubarbstones.htm

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 5:26 PM
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5757085

Thanks for this link. I will buy a rhubarb plant in the spring. I suspect you could do it with certain very large leaved tropical plant leaves as well. But I can grow rhubarb much more easily.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5757309

Any leaf will do - Just if you want to use them for stepping stones you need a large leaf- does not have to be rhubarb. I think there are some threads in the Garden Art forum ( or maybe the Hypertufa and Concrete Forum I cant remember exactly) about making these and some of the members have been painting them and they are gorgeous!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 6, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5757320

The gigantic leaves of Telekia speciosa would be ideal for this project... they're on the scale of rhubarb...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5757332

If I was a little more ambitious I would make some from the leaves of my Rodgersia.
(Maybe after I get the concrete pillows done?)
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 6, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5757356

fancyvan,
How come your zone comes up as 3a? When I plugged my info into this site, my zone was "assigned" as 3b (despite that we are in the same place, and the zone designation is not so fine as to differentiate parts of the city)! It has bothered me a bit ever since, as I really think it should be 3a, for what it's worth!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5757434

Dahlianut, who posts on this forum, among others, lives in Calgary and has her zone is listed as 3a. On the other hand she grows lots of things that don't grow in 3a as far as she can tell. Sounds like the problem is the program that figures out what zone you are in by zipcode. Sounds like they haven't done much work on Canada. I think there is a worldwide zipcode map but I haven't seen it in a while and don't remember where I found it.
I find the zip code converter frustrating, too, because I live in one and have a farm, 2 states away that has a very different climate. ( Hot and muggy. Here cool and dry.). Unfortunately DG lists me only as being in Los Alamos where I live most of the time. If I report new plants from the farm, I am still listed as being in zone 5a instead of 7 which is the zone of the farm. So I cannot accurately post farm plants -- at least as far as zip code is concerned. Those of you in Canada have a more serious problem.
My condolences. Americans tend to be very lacking in knowledge of their neighbors of Mexico and Canada, hence leaving them out of zone databases. I am sort of embarassed for my country in this respect. Obviously we are a continuum from the Panama canal to the north poll. Sure wish the database folk would add Canada and Mexico and more to the possibilities in their databases. I suspect it would be a bit of a problem, but not insurmountable.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 8:43 PM
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 6, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5757550

Calgary is spread out over a very large land area, and I am actually in a part of the city (i.e. the NW) that is at higher elevation, and "colder" than other parts (than the "tropical" SE, for example... as the local joke goes, anyway)... so it's very peculiar that I magically get to be in a warmer zone, LOL!

I am growing a very large number of supposedly out-of-zone perennials here. However, I believe it is mainly the case that the zone ranges (the lower end, that is) of these plants are untested, and therefore, basically wrong. Canadian zones were actually revisited a couple of years ago, yet no change resulted to our zone rating here. (I admit to being a little surprised at that - I thought we'd get upgraded to zone 4, but I guess my observations alone don't carry that much weight, obviously, LOL!)

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 8:43 PM
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5757565

I requested Birdies method but looks like our beluved Carol/fancyvan has this handled ^_^ I will post when Birdies responds but I'm not sure that it will be any different than what fancyvan has posted. I know she messed with the cement mix but I don't know the original formula she was working form. As usual I know nothing (snort)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #5757767

Hey I have no idea re the zone- seems to me I just checked out the new zone map for Canada and entered that one! Altagardner werent we 2B in the old zone map?
There are other Calgary people here - gonna go check what their zones say!

Les when I made my rhubarb leaves a neighbor and I did it and dont remember that we were particularly scientific about the mix!

Well I just checked out a few Calgary members -Lori we are all 3A ( although of course there is only the USDA map shown) You in a special zone hidden in the depths of the NW we dont know about?

Paj we all grow things that are not supposedly hardy here.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 9:32 PM

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 9:34 PM
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2008
4:35 AM

Post #5757785

Maybe you could use a 2nd user account pajarito. pajaritofm for the farm location.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 6, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #5757812

Thanks for the confirmation, Fancyvan... I guess we're just special up here, LOL!

No, I don't recall that Calgary was ever 2B - Saskatoon and Regina are 2B, but Calgary has always been 3a to my recollection... at least as long as I have been in the business of griping about plant zones rating - that's getting to be a goodly length of time, LOL!
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5759066

I am by NO means an expert, but I think leaf castings are really cool & they're something I have wanted to try for a while now. Recently I made a tiled tabletop, & I made casts with the leftover thinset mortar & grout. It was basically just an experiment & they still need to be refined a bit, but they were really easy.

The smaller leaf is Autumn clematis cast in thinset, the larger one is cottonwood cast in grout. I did nothing at all to the leaves, just laid them out & plopped the stuff on the back. I have been reading the Concrete & Hypertufa forum. Go there for tons of info on the subject http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/832790/.

Thumbnail by lisabees

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5759091

Those are luvly lisabees
mulchmania
Ennis, MT
(Zone 4a)

November 7, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5760796

I bought one of those rolling cement mixers, sort of like a bucket with a lid you can roll on the ground to mix concrete. I thought I would make stepping stones and have been too distracted ever since. I feel stirrings of ambition again looking at these nice pics...

However, I have some urgent grass clipping piles to do something about, left from when I derailed from the garden to write a book. Unfortunately they are behind the greenhouse and got buried in snowdrifts last winter. One was so big and lasted so long the piles under there turned to anaerobic slime. YUCK! The others back there are not as bad as only the bottom layer went anaerobic, the rest is much better.

I have now moved the worst pile and distributed it on the back row of trees where the young dog has devastated the mulch. Putting nice loose mulch on those bare places means he excitedly runs into it and pushes it aside again. This anaerobic stuff certainly does not poof aside! Instead, it lies there all squishy and he does not want to put his feet in it. Good!

Spread out that way it will dry later and revert to something useful for the soil, especially if I spray it with microbe tea next year. In the meantime it will help keep the soil protected so I can keep water in the roots of the spruce trees.

Then I started on the not-as-bad piles. I have moved about a dump truck load so far, wheelbarrow load by wheelbarrow load. Means I am about halfway to getting it cleaned out back there. I will not leave clipping piles there again, usually they winter over without such mishap. But who knows how much snow we will have this year?

All of which means I am sore. Trying to get it done before the piles freeze into unmovable lumps. Been too busy totally redoing the gallery website to use the lovely weather for yard work until now. The new site will probably be live in a few days, thank god. Around 160 pages that have nearly killed me off. Bad as writing a book.

Sorry this ran on so long, been fighting with a cranky printer and missed my mulching time today. Grumble grumble...
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5760868

Wow, mulch! You have been working hard. I had a similar problem with two loads of grass clippings that I received from the guy whose business mows most of the lawns in town. I got plenty of them spread around but the rest of them are in about a 6 - 12 inch layer across the vacant lot out back. I need to move them, too. Luckily I called them off before they delivered any more. I will move a bunch of it over the next month to mulch my fruit trees which never seem to have enough mulch.
You are impressive in that you paint, keep your gallery's website, write books and grow lots of tomatos. You deserve to be proud of your accomplishments. Don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back for the amount you work.
Do let us know the url of your website when it is up.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 7, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5761131

mulchmania the friend with whom I made the concrete rhubarb leaves had one of those little mixers and we didnt like it much, in the end we just used it as a container to hand mix - rolling it around just didnt work well!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8180418

CatBox
MagicSquareYard
BelowStump (B S)
AboveStump (AS)
HeatherPath
WorkYard
Bamboo
and dull old
UpperBed and LowerBed and Driveway
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8184850

Yes, many areas in my garden have location names.

Woodland Garden, 5 years in the making so far, no mature trees.
Sumac Jungle
Veggie garden
Chicken House garden
Sdlg. Daylily Garden
Berry Patch garden
Windbreak garden
West Bank garden
East Bank garden
Prairie Fire Malus Allee garden
Front Trellis Shrub garden
Lily Pools and Berm garden
Rockery
Front of Deck garden and Bog
South Garden

As you can tell the garden names are really designation names.

Donna

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8185338

I like the "Chicken House garden". Is it the site of an ex-chicken coop?

Corey
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8185729

I never thought of naming beds except for the one I sleep in, but we want to keep edit guy happy!

Ummm...let's see;

Parkway
Terra Nueva
Planter right
Planter left
Big front bed
Little front bed
Shady gravel
wineland
Terra Incognita del Baja, 2000 sq. ft. (Aye, there be monsters here!)
The Pit
Sumac fenceline
apricot

Hmmm I didn't know I had that much work to do! Time to rent a trackhoe.

A picture of Terra Nueva. Land that is new because I made it.

Sonny

Thumbnail by Pewjumper

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #8185746

Oh WOW, nice retaining wall! I bet you never have drainage problems.

When I found that my small raised bed corners dried out too fast, I backed up the lower parts of the corner walls with plastic, like the bag from 1-2 cubic feet of compost or potting soil. That reduced the root-zine evaporation.

Where did you get the soil from? Are those mountains in the background?

>>>>>
Planter right
Planter left
Big front bed
Little front bed
>>>

Many of my names are like those. "Upper Driveway". "Sidewalk".

Corey
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #8186356

Yes those are the Rocky Mountains in the background. They are accross the Colorado River on the other side of the valley.

The soil started out as clay & rock. I hand dug all of the clay & rock, ran it through the two stage strainer, added a bunch of sand, peat moss & acidified cotton boll compost. All in all I moved about 75,000 lbs. of material by hand because I couldn't get heavy equipment into this area.

The soil mix is;
Coarse Sand 42%
Clay 28%
Peat Moss 15%
Acidified cotton Boll Compost 15%
Dr. Earth Organic Fertilizer 4-4-4, (Includes beneficial bacteria & Mychorizae)
Green Sand

I also threw 50 Lbs. of alfalfa pellets on the top of the soil after mixing.

Next year I will put the capstones on. In the meantime everything gets to settle in over the Winter.

A picture of the two stage soil strainer is below.

Thumbnail by Pewjumper

Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #8187059

Corey,

Here are the mountains across the valley from the back deck. We call them Napali East, because in the Spring they remind us of the Napali Coast of Hawaii.

Sonny

Thumbnail by Pewjumper

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8187099

Nice! I wish I could afford and carry that much peat moss and compost and sand. How deep is your bed, 2 1/2 feet?

I tied hardware cloth to some industrial steel shelving, and tilt the 1/2" seive steeply, but rub thorughly through 1/4" mesh with a less-steep tilt.

I see the the Olympic and Cascade ranges on my way to and from work - WAY off in the distance.

Are you going to plant any cover crop on top this fall, for the root mass? Like Fall Rye?

Corey
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #8187398

Corey,

I just plan on letting everything settle under the snow. We have already had our first snow of year, although it all melted.

Here is one of the places I visit on a weekly basis for work.

Thumbnail by Pewjumper

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8187784

I like that aspect of your job!

Just to get from my desk to a window, I would have to walk all the way to ... actually, since the redecoration, only managers have windows.

I may hike all the way around my floor to see if they left any window accessible to mere peons.

Perhaps one that looks out over the colorfull, scenic Wal-Mart parking lot.

I fibbed! Actually each meeting room has a window. And yes, the one nearest me lets you see most of the Wal-Mart parking lot. And just a corner of Panda Express.

I like your view better. (But I like my weather better! No frost yet.)

And your raised bed inspired me to go out and mix all the sand and bagged compost I had left into my screened clay piles, and mix them together. Now I can build another raised bed ... with a half-cubic-yard of amended soil. Say, 16 square feet?

That's 16 square feet more garden than I had last summer!

Corey
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8192120

Rick, Chicken House garden is so named because the garden is back of the being used chicken house. Here is a picture of the garden side of the Chicken, including bench, apricot tree to the right. The path is now grass instead of chips, because the banty chickens kept digging the chips for bugs.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #8192126

Sorry about my shadow in picture, donna
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #8194028

Rick, you work in Everett and don't have a view, that should be illegal! How's that new Naval Base doing? Well, it was new 17 years ago. lol My DH worked at the old base in Seattle before he retired. We loved Washington, and lived in Snohomish County.

Donna, that's a really strange looking chicken. Last year when we were staying with our Son, down in Mesa, I heard the strangest noise outside the back door and there was one of those! He/she squawked and even quacked. Do all of them make those strange noises? That guinea fowl was a young one, and my husband put out a pan of water for it as it was terribly hot that day. Next we heard a funny noise out front, and he was pecking on the garage door. No bugs to eat there!
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #8194045

Guineas are very friendly. My 2, both males, are free to roam the garden all day. Stay penned at night with my 5 banties in the chicken house. the banty hens laid nice small eggs all summer, have now decided to rest for awhile.

The guineas are great watch birds. They let me know if there is something or somebody different in the area. They ate a lot of grasshoppers this summer.

Donna
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #8194110

We used to have a pair of Mallards years ago that were our watch dogs. We lived up on a hill, a mile up the road from the nearest neighbor. And very seldom had visitors. So one day I heard them quacking their little heads off and when I went out to see what was wrong, they had put a man at bay in his car and wouldn't let him out! I thought it was very funny, but he had no sense of humor at all! ^_^
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #8197444

Happy Jack, I think that was funny. I had a young man here supposedly to work in the garden. Didn't work out as knew nothing about gardening,( or working). Anyway he too was scared to get out of his car when the 2 guineas ran out to see (Welcome) what was going on. It is cloudy here today and I haven't gone out to let the guineas out.

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8197446

Picture of the guineas on deck wanting to come into the house.
Donna
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8197499

Are they more intelligent than chickens?
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8202663

Happy Jack, I am not sure if the guineas are more intelligent but they are very friendly to anyone they recognize. They come to greet me when I go out to their pen if they are outside. I usually let them out as soon as full daylight. I let the banties out shortly after noon. The banties do a lot more digging and are harder on the gardens.

The guineas are more interested in catching and eating bugs and seeds.

Donna
dicentra63
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8672477

Pulled out Mr. Roget's book and named my beds thus:

Repose
Regalia
Fecundity
Splendor
Chimaera
Serendipity
Effusive
Festoon
Vitality
Medley

Makes it easier to keep records about locations, etc.

I also have Mayan Planter, Porch Pots, Patio Pots, Hanging Baskets, and Tri-Level Planter.

And the Triangle of Death
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8740668

dicentra63

I like your choice of names, except maybe Triangle of Death. Don't we all have one of those. I have not been able to do much of anything in my garden this year except try to keep things moist enough to grow.

I thought recovering from the March 14, 2011 hip joint cup revision surgery would be it for this year. But no a week or so ago I had an appendectomy. Luckily all okay from that. But slowed down what little gardening I had been doing.

At least we have cool nights in this area.

Best wishes to all.

Donna
dicentra63
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8753919

[quote="rutholive"]dicentra63

I thought recovering from the March 14, 2011 hip joint cup revision surgery would be it for this year. But no a week or so ago I had an appendectomy. Luckily all okay from that. But slowed down what little gardening I had been doing.

[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that your health problems have kept you out of the yard. I've been struggling with idiopathic fatigue for 10 years, and I can work in the garden only after taking prescription amphetamine, which gives me 3-4 hours of useful energy. It's frustrating to watch the weeds grow or not be able to deadhead properly!

But if it weren't for my lovelies, I'd go positively insane!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America