Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Caudiciforms: What to do with seeds??

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 17, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5598891

I have an Adenium that has 3 seed pods on it...are these things worth any money? Should I sell them on Dave's Marketplace?

And do the pods open all by themselves so I could harvest them?

Pam
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2008
6:57 AM

Post #5600969

place tape around them or theyll pop everywhere
You can sell them or plant them.
I plant all of mine always looking for the dwarfs and variegateds.
Iuse the rest for grafting stock.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5602543

What do you mean place tape around them? Tape the pod so it cannot open? Place tape so as to catch falling seeds?

Pop? Does it just burst open one day? Or are there signs? How long does the pod remain a pod? One month? Six months? Does it open gradually?

Pam

Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5602893

The best answer is to encase the pod in a piece of nylon stocking.
I dont know how long till it pops but when it does they go everywhere.
Nylon stocking = u win ;)
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2008
11:35 AM

Post #5608468

The best value is to used them for grafting stock, or trading. Adenium in general do not bloom true from seed, so you can't really say you are bidding on seeds of a particular Adenium, though if you look on Ebay, many sellers pain a different picture. You can say what the seeds parentage is, but shouldn't make claims as to how the seeds will produce.

The seeds have tufts of silk like hair on one end, When the pods burst open, they'll fly away. Something like panty hose will keep them in place. As you become more familiar with the pods, you can harvest them manually a couple of days before they burst. Each pod is different, but when it starts turning towards a shade of brown, you can remove the pod, and open it manually. Each pod contains about 32 seeds MOL.

Chris

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2008
11:46 AM

Post #5616405

Thank you all for your advice.

I found someone local who wants the seeds and will trade plumeria for them...whoo hoo!
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #5616554

That's a win win for everyone.

Chris
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5617984

I got 4 variegated seedlings from 80 seeds off a variegated parent ;)
6 others look to be dwarfed.
there is so much excitement when growing seeds.
My only regret/problem is that ive outgrown my 'hobby' status and need a nursery now lol!
Chris, wanna rent me a parcel?
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
9:47 AM

Post #5620494

I'm running out of room my self. I only use 1/3rd of the acre for production, and am told I have to keep something that resembles a yard.

You should have seen my trying to rush out of my Hibiscus supplier's place, so I could get home before Gretchen, and get 600+ Hibiscus on the ground so it looked like they've always been there.

:-)

Chris
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5627672

That's quite a trick, Chris. If you succeeded I'd like to learn how you did it. My DH is getting far to good at noticing how many plants I have.

Jackie
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2008
9:30 AM

Post #5628132

During peak season I'll have about 15000 plants on the ground. Sneaking 600 in usually isn't hard. Sneaking them out of the truck, is.

:-)
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #5631733

Wow! I usually only have 50 - 60 plants. I can only bring in so many when the weather gets too cold.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2008
11:38 AM

Post #5631960

cold in AZ? really?
I have over 500 pots to bring inside each fall starting NOW!
Back out in the end of May
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5634142

Just out of curiosity, Malestrom, where do you have room for over 500 pots? I think I'm jealous. We do get cold weather here, even in central Phoenix. The year before last temps dropped to 28 degrees, briefly. It seems like about every 5-6 years we get a hard frost or even a freeze. I moved everything inside that I could - hoyas, plumies, some adeniums, some pachypodiums, various cacti, several of my stapelia collection, etc... For the rest I used my usual method of making a temporary 'greenhouse' (my husband callis it my ghetto greenhouse) with candles that ususally sufficed, but didn't count on wind blowing hard enough to tear plastic and blow out my candles (first time for everything, as it is said). I lost 3 large adenium obesums, a couple of brugs, several stapelias, a few dats, large pachypodium lamerii (sp.?). It was painful. My Moringa trees died back to the ground. They did grow back from the roots, however I didn't get any seeds last year. I got quite a few this year. I have a Moringa droughardii (sp.?) that I planted (about 4 years ago) to see the caudiciform type trunk and it is still trying to recover.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #5634599

I keep my blooming plants and sensitive ones in the living room
I place the ones that can handle dormancy in the basement.
The rest are scattered around the house in every room on shelves in windows wherever there isnt something else lol!
Stacking pots helps a lot too. ;)
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5639626

Do the Adenium seed pods turn brown before they POP seeds everywhere? I also have 3 of them, still green but maybe I should get the nylon stockings now?
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5643133

Some do and some don't. My eye has become pretty good, and I usually harvest them before they burst, but if you're new to them, putting them on earlier is the way to go.

Chris
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5643816

Thanks, Chris!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America